General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Over-pronating, Shin Splints and Nike Free Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-23 10:15 PM

Petaluma, CA
Subject: Over-pronating, Shin Splints and Nike Free
After preparing for my first triathlon last year, I found myself well trained.  I managed to avoid injury and finish MOP.  For whatever reason, I took about 5 months off.  Upon resuming my training, I struggled with injuries.  Most of my problems have been with shin splints.  I have also had moderate trouble with blisters.  I've been through four pair of shoes and, while I have managed to put some decent miles down, I keep struggling with shin splints.  

I have nearly flat arches and considered a severe over-pronator.  At the peak of fitness, I'll weigh no less than 185 pounds, so I'm also considered a heavy runner.  The status quo dictates that I buy heavy shoes laden with cushioning and support.  That hasn't seemed to do much for me.

I've got another Tri, as well as Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge on the horizon, so I need to do something fast.  I decided to follow the advice of the great Gordon Pirie and ditch the running boots while adopting his early form of Pose running.  After a painful day of running that put me at my absolute low, I ordered a pair of Nike Free, took three days off, popped two aspirin and gave it a whirl.  

I just got back from that first run.  First, these shoes are almost like wearing socks with soles.  Nike named them well, as I truly felt "free" while running.

Since resuming training, I've been running my roughly 6 mile course no faster than 57:30 with an RPE as high as 7. Today's run came in at 47:20 with an RPE of 3.  My shins don't hurt, but my knees ache slightly and my left ankle aches a little.

I don't know what's in store for me as I continue this experiment but, unless my legs fall apart, I've somehow managed to shave nearly 2 min/mile off my training runs.  The shoes probably can't be directly attributed to this, but I run a hell of a lot faster when my damned legs don't hurt!  :D 

2009-07-24 10:29 PM
in reply to: #2305056

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Over-pronating, Shin Splints and Nike Free

I am not fast by any means but forefront running rules.  Be careful though. You've got a whole new set of muscles working for you now and you don't want to push it too hard to start. I would 'strongly' recommend ramping up slowly. At least give it a couple of weeks of light mileage because you will feel it and could wind up with 'different' injuries if you go make a switch like that and go out too hard and too long every time.

And welcome to forefoot running!

2009-07-25 5:09 PM

Petaluma, CA
Thanks for the advice.  That first run was a 10K and it felt great.  I had just a twinge of knee pain in one of my knees and one of my ankles was a little sore.  I ran a fast 3 miles yesterday and still felt great, but am finding myself sore in all sorts of muscles around my ankles and shins that I didn't know I had.  I'm certainly going to take your advice and take it easy.

I'm not a big fan of Nike, but I have to say that these shoes have indeed set me free.
2009-07-25 7:22 PM
in reply to: #2307732

User image

Extreme Veteran

DaveyG - 2009-07-25 4:09 PM Thanks for the advice.  That first run was a 10K and it felt great.  I had just a twinge of knee pain in one of my knees and one of my ankles was a little sore.  I ran a fast 3 miles yesterday and still felt great, but am finding myself sore in all sorts of muscles around my ankles and shins that I didn't know I had.  I'm certainly going to take your advice and take it easy.

I'm not a big fan of Nike, but I have to say that these shoes have indeed set me free.

Yup, that's where you'll feel it . . . ankles, shins . . . and calves and feet! At least I really feel it in my calves as I get into longer runs Especially if I don't work up to it. But it's a 'good' strengthening feeling like lifting weights. That being said, you certainly wouldn't go in and bomb your biceps hard with curls everyday for sixty minutes! Using all those new muscles is kind of the same thing. You know? So you have to be careful. I'd almost focus on just slow and easy until that Tri you have coming up. Just enough to keep your base. Almost like you would in a prep stage coming off a long break. Because you'll probably be REALLY tempted to run faster, longer and more often than you should. Your speed will be there when you get to the race. Just focus on getting your muscles used to the new style. And keep it EASY until the race. My two cents anyway.

Oh yeah, and just wait until you do your first brick. You might feel a surprising difference coming off the bike and going into the run. It's pretty cool.

2009-07-25 8:23 PM

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
I broke down and bought some Nike Frees also and love them!  They have enough sole to protect my feet on the rocky trails, but don't try to control my feet.  I'm a pronator too and was having knee issues, but I don't think I was a pronator when I ran cross country decades ago.  I wonder if over-cushioned shoes really have created the problem.  Ran a little barefoot in Indiana when we were out there visiting, but we have too many rocks at home to keep it up and my scuba shoes are too hot.  Planning to run my HIM in them in a couple weeks.  And I'm starting to grow some baby calves, too
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Over-pronating, Shin Splints and Nike Free Rss Feed