General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recent Swim Article in Triathlete Magazine Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-24 2:29 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Subject: Recent Swim Article in Triathlete Magazine

Have any of you folks read the article in the current issue of Triathlete magazine on your swim stroke in open water?  It basically states that a lot of stroke mechanics are most useful for pool swimming and that they would not work as well in open water.  I have been working on lengthing my body, reaching forward, getting  a good catch and pull, etc.  and my swim is much improved.

However, should we be doing the things the article says and is anyone swimming like that and is it working better for you?

Interested in feedback.

2009-07-24 2:54 PM
in reply to: #2306361

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
Subject: RE: Recent Swim Article in Triathlete Magazine

Saw that article and thought...based on my own experience...that it was mostly common sense.

I made the comment in another thread (yesterday, I guess) that a lot of triathletes forget that triathlon is one sport, not three, and waste some of what may be limited training time on swim drills (esp. kickboard drills) which aren't necessarily going to serve them well in OW distance swimming in a wetsuit.  It's one thing to do specific drills targeted at breaking down and rebuilding a bad freestyle stroke--that's necessary for beginners--but some of this is just that a lot of the coaching is being done (naturally) by current or former competitive swimmers...who may or may not now be triathletes...and is the sort of training that builds success, primarily, in the pool in the 50m-200m distances of the various strokes and not necessarily success doing a 400m to 4224 yd open water swim in a wetsuit, to be followed by a bunch of biking and running.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Recent Swim Article in Triathlete Magazine Rss Feed