United States
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 37m 23s
Overall Rank = 70/104
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 8/8
Pre-race routine:

Camped out in the local RV park in a tent - everything was wet from theflood before. Sleeping on an air mattress is not that great an idea. had lots of anxiety about the race because of the adverse conditions. The surf was too rough, looked like they would cancel the swim (and they did). this made it worse for me because that is my strength. didn't do a lot of prep... Just hung around and sulked waiting for the start - entirely the wrong attitude before a race!
Run
  • 07m 28s
  • 1 miles
  • 07m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

I am so slow!
What would you do differently?:

try to get motivated!
Transition 1
  • 01m 28s

When I look at the stats - I see that not only am I slowest in each segment of the race, I am also slowest in all of the transitions. Obviously this is a matter of attitude. There is no reason for the transitions to be slow, just because I am a slow runner - need a little work here!
Bike
  • 55m 8s
  • 15 miles
  • 16.32 mile/hr

Train more, of course. Get motivated.
Transition 2
  • 01m 47s

I am pathetic in the transitions. I am not pushing like I need to. I remember specifically taking my time with a big draw on the h2o. should've kept it moving though here. Next time I am going to try to really push through the transitions and keep my hydrating to the bike and run itself - when you are actually moving!
Run
  • 31m 33s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

I did actually overtake one or two folks, and was passed by one or two. If I had been more aware, I might have looked around and seen #7 for a minute at the tranisition. He blew me away in the run - 4 minutes better!

train more! Get motivated!
Post race
Warm down:

Had a banana and sulked some more.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

poor sleep. poor preparation and motivation.

Event comments:

The main let down was that the web site had talked big about volleyball matches. I realiize that I am going to a triathlon, but I love a pick up match of beach volleyball. I was disappointed that I never even saw a volley ball or a court. The wind was a factor out of their control, though. I think that the location left something to be desired too. It was not like the normal crystal blue water of the gulf - don't know if this was due to the heavy rains, or because this water has a barrier island and is nore like a bay. the El Governor hotel was not a great place for an event. The bar by the poos was OK, but they didn't exactly have a great meeting place.

Last updated: 2005-05-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:07:28 | 01 miles | 07m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/8
Overall: 0/104
Performance: Below average
They changed this to a Du because of surf conditions - this stinks!
Course: Out and back through an office park. flat.
Keeping cool Drinking
T1
Time: 01:28
Overall: Below average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:55:08 | 15 miles | 16.32 mile/hr
Overall: 7/104
I am obviously not in good shape for a ride, either. I didn't feel that slow, but my average being in the 16 mph range says otherwise. The wind was a big factor, but others in the group obviously overcame that... On the plus side, I actually moved up to 7th place out of 8 after the ride, but lost it by the end of T2. And got killed in the run!
Wind: Strong
Course: Out and back. for a Florida course, this thing had a cool hill when we crossed the Intracoastal waterway due to the bridge being so tall. Got to hit this twice, once going out, once coming back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:47
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:31:33 | 03.1 miles | 10m 11s  min/mile
Overall: 0/104
Course: Out and back on Hwy 98. Flat for most of it, except for the entrance to the park. Struggled the whole way. I did manage to meet the goal of running the whole thing, except for through the h2o station midway, where I had already decided to walk a few steps.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes