General Discussion Triathlon Talk » timing chips and race numbers Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-07 6:35 AM

Quakertown, Pennsylvania
Subject: timing chips and race numbers
What is the purpose of wearing a race number if the chip is recording times? Also, do you wear a number on your person while completing the bike leg since your bike also has a number? I ask because my first tri of the year is coming up in less than three weeks and the way this weather is going it will probably be cold. I think I'll want an extra layer of clothing for the bike but strip it off for the run. Do I have to attach my race belt over my top layer and then move it during T2 or can I just wear it under my top layer?

2005-05-07 6:38 AM
in reply to: #154006

Extreme Veteran
Kochi, Japan
Subject: RE: timing chips and race numbers
I think that one of the reasons that you have a number bib is so the judges can see the number easily if you are drafting.

I`m sure that there are more reasons, but I don`t know them!
2005-05-07 8:09 AM
in reply to: #154006

Veteran
Swindon
Subject: RE: timing chips and race numbers

several reasons, mainly for identification - so the marshal's know who you are if there's an infringement, but also so the marshals know who's racing and who isn't.  Also so the photographer can index their photos to sell to you afterwards.

The tri entry rules normally state that the number must be visible at all times, so wearing it under your jacket would get you in trouble.  Some races only require one number to be visible (normally on your back for the cycle and on your front for the run), in which case you could get away with having a number pinned to the back of your outer layer and one pinned to your shirt, but you need to check the local rules before you do this.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » timing chips and race numbers Rss Feed