General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why would someone this fast race Clydes? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2009-07-31 3:29 PM
in reply to: #2320202

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Subject: RE: Why would someone this fast race Clydes?
there are couple of Clydes in this area.. that place very high overall,,, like top 5   (I'm pretty sure they are still clydes)

I think Mike said it best once.. outside of being the first man/women over the line it really doesn't matter much.. 

2009-07-31 3:30 PM
in reply to: #2320279

User image

Champion
the colony texas
ChrisM - 2009-07-31 3:26 PM
lisac957 - 2009-07-31 1:26 PM
kat_astrophe - 2009-07-31 3:11 PM
if you're a big, muscular person, you're at an automatic disadvantage from the rest of your age group just by weighing more.  

There are an infinite number of other "automatic disadvantages" in this world.
It has always perplexe me as to why this one has it's own special category and awards.

and away we go.....

get your anchorman quotes ready, big guy...
2009-07-31 3:30 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
ChrisM - 2009-07-31 3:26 PM
if you're a big, muscular person, you're at an automatic disadvantage from the rest of your age group just by weighing more.  

It has always perplexe me as to why this one has it's own special category and awards.

and away we go.....

Awww come on that was a very neutral post of mine (rare I know)... didn't say it was right or wrong or anything like that.
2009-07-31 3:31 PM
in reply to: #2320284

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Rudedog55 - 2009-07-31 3:28 PM
lisac957 - 2009-07-31 4:26 PM

It has always perplexed me as to why this one has it's own special category and awards.

care to elaborate??

Naw, I don't really feel like getting flamed today.

2009-07-31 3:31 PM

User image

Expert
Simi Valley
The question actually urks a perceived disparity in me.  Clydesdale racing is not a JV race tacked on to the varsity sport of the AGers.  It is a division for competition.  It is a little different than suggesting a recently retired Elite ought not be racing (and crushing) in the AG division. 

Oh and for an above poster: "bling" is a street word for shiny jewelry.  ChrisM is not younger, just more urban and hip-hop than most
2009-07-31 3:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pittsburgh
ChrisM - 2009-07-31 4:26 PM

and away we go.....

Yeah, I think that might be my cue to pull out, but I'll stick around long enough to point out that nobody really argues whether women or men should have separate categories and awards.  As long as they don't start handing out awards for "fastest chain-smoker" or "fastest person who didn't train for the event AT ALL," I'm cool with whatever special categories come up -- hey, one less person who might be able to beat me in my AG

2009-07-31 3:35 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
I may get my own post pulled for this, but I'm going to say it anyway.

I'm not insinuating that clydes are fat or slow.  FWIW I am WAY more than heavy enough to race Athena.  But I don't.  Why?  Because to ME, it's a stupid made up division to make people feel better about themselves--aka be able to bring home "hardware".

I would rather come in dead last AG than first in Athena.

It's sort of like giving all the kids a trophy whether their team wins the soccer tournament or not...

I won't say everybody feels this way...but if someone told me they came in 5th in their AG I would be far far far more impressed than if they told me they placed first in Clydes.

So it blows my mind that someone who can be extremely competitive in his AG would race as a Clyde.

That is my point.  Not that Clydes are slow or fat (remember, I could race as an Athena and I freely admit I am slow and fat so no elitist here), just that I don't understand the motivation.  "I just wanted hardware so I raced there" doesn't seem like sufficient motivation to me.
2009-07-31 3:36 PM
in reply to: #2320294

User image

I've always said we should all just race as one big nude group, eating what we can find on the course.  the way god intended us to race
2009-07-31 3:40 PM
in reply to: #2320298

User image

Champion
the colony texas
jldicarlo - 2009-07-31 3:35 PM I may get my own post pulled for this, but I'm going to say it anyway.

I'm not insinuating that clydes are fat or slow.  FWIW I am WAY more than heavy enough to race Athena.  But I don't.  Why?  Because to ME, it's a stupid made up division to make people feel better about themselves--aka be able to bring home "hardware".

It's sort of like giving all the kids a trophy whether their team wins the soccer tournament or not...

I won't say everybody feels this way...but if someone told me they came in 5th in their AG I would be far far far more impressed than if they told me they placed first in Clydes.

So it blows my mind that someone who can be extremely competitive in his AG would race as a Clyde.

That is my point.  Not that Clydes are slow or fat (remember, I could race as an Athena and I freely admit I am slow and fat so no elitist here), just that I don't understand the motivation.  "I just wanted hardware so I raced there" doesn't seem like sufficient motivation to me.

attemting to feed more fuel on the fire  

So would you also be comfortable if there was no AG... just all men & all women?   only the top 5 men/women get any awards, ??   really is that much difference between a 29 and 30 y/o.   are we not making AG's so more people can get some hardware 

to quote the joker... "and awaaay we go " 

edit.. I vote for Chris'm idea ^^

Edited by Gaarryy 2009-07-31 3:41 PM
2009-07-31 3:42 PM

User image

I didn't see your post as the typical clyde/ag debate.  The question is valid, but personally i usually don't question why people go clyde/ag (unless of course they beat me, then they should have raced ag).

As to the above, however, doesn't it depend on the finish time?  The 5th place clyde could beat the 1st place AG, as you point out in the OP
2009-07-31 3:42 PM
in reply to: #2320305

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pittsburgh
lol... free-for-all triathlon, evolution-style.  There are no podium spots, merely surviving long enough to pass on your awesomeness will qualify you as a winner.

2009-07-31 3:43 PM
in reply to: #2320316

User image

kat_astrophe - 2009-07-31 1:42 PM lol... free-for-all triathlon, evolution-style.  There are no podium spots, merely surviving long enough to pass on your awesomeness will qualify you as a winner.

right?  i think we're onto something..... 
2009-07-31 3:45 PM
in reply to: #2320309

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Gaarryy - 2009-07-31 3:40 PM
So would you also be comfortable if there was no AG... just all men & all women?   only the top 5 men/women get any awards, ??   really is that much difference between a 29 and 30 y/o.   are we not making AG's so more people can get some hardware 

Everyone knows 30 is crazy old and 29 is not! It makes a HUGE difference in your times. 
As to the question which was not directed at me... I would be perfectly fine with no AG awards. I was actually surprised when I started this sport to see them given out.
2009-07-31 3:47 PM
in reply to: #2320318

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
ChrisM - 2009-07-31 4:43 PM
kat_astrophe - 2009-07-31 1:42 PM lol... free-for-all triathlon, evolution-style.  There are no podium spots, merely surviving long enough to pass on your awesomeness will qualify you as a winner.

right?  i think we're onto something..... 

nah...all the big guys would beat up all the little guys and take all the food...so the little guys would ask for a different category

Edited by Rudedog55 2009-07-31 3:47 PM
2009-07-31 3:50 PM
in reply to: #2320323

User image

Champion
the colony texas
lisac957 - 2009-07-31 3:45 PM
Gaarryy - 2009-07-31 3:40 PM

Everyone knows 30 is crazy old and 29 is not! It makes a HUGE difference in your times. 
As to the question which was not directed at me... I would be perfectly fine with no AG awards. I was actually surprised when I started this sport to see them given out.

but a Kansas 30y/o female  is like 27 everywhere right??
2009-07-31 3:51 PM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
on a serious note though.  I race clyde cause i can, just like a smaller guy wrestles or fights or lift weights in their respective weight classes. 
It still comes down to having to put in the work and training to win or place in your category.  I race whatever is available to me, i don't not race a race when they have no clyde division.

there are weight & size considerations/concessions in tons of sports, Triathlon is not alone.

Edited by Rudedog55 2009-07-31 3:52 PM

2009-07-31 3:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Buford GA
When I was checking the clydes vs the AG for my first race to see which I wanted to sign up for other then the fastest 2 or 3 in my age group the clyde times were right up there. Similar number of people in both my age group and clydes overall but the top 10-20 would have been competitive assuming all those clydes were my age since I only compared it to my age group and maybe 30-34 as well.

Technically right now I am a clyde but I'm down to ~212 from 249 (swore I'd never break 250 and I didn't!!). Since be beginning of next season I should be sub 200lbs I figured it wasn't worth doing one clyde race to maybe finish a place or too better still not winning my group. Since I'll be competing against the same people I'll race next seaon I'll get a better idea how I stand.

If I had no plans to drop below 200 I probably would have just stuck with clydes even if I was competitive in the AG probably.
2009-07-31 3:56 PM

User image

Champion
PA
jldicarlo - 2009-07-31 4:35 PM I may get my own post pulled for this, but I'm going to say it anyway.

I would prefer to race as a Clydesdale because these are people who are carrying a heck of a lot more across the line.  Like I said, it's like a heavyweight division in fighting.  The heavyweight title holder is more awesome than the lightweight title holder to me.  I have to race AG but I'm 5'10, 217.  If I was 5'10, 160 it wouldn't be the same person.  I wouldn't have the same power or humble awesomeness as I do right now.  LOL

Exhibit 1.
Yeah, I'm the fastest!

Exhibit B
MOVE, Get out da way!

2009-07-31 3:56 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Race directors do what they can to get as many people to enter their events as possible. Of course, people are motivated by many different reasons, and one of them is bling.

So an RD is going to have as many categories and as much bling that he needs to bring him a marginal benefit that is greater than the cost of providing that bling. Purely an economic decision. Purists can argue against classifications as much as they want, but in the end it's the RDs choice.

By the opposite token: The biggest race in our area does NOT offer clyde/athena divisions. I have friends who have argued witht he RD (who is the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet) until they were blue in the face to no avail. I know of a couple who don't do his race because of it. Why doesn't he offer it? His race sells out kmonths in advance, every year for the past decade or so.

Evidently he feels the male/female and age group divisions to be worth the effort, as wella s the Masters and Grand Masters. 
2009-07-31 3:59 PM
in reply to: #2320346

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pittsburgh
Pector55 - 2009-07-31 4:56 PM
jldicarlo - 2009-07-31 4:35 PM I may get my own post pulled for this, but I'm going to say it anyway.

I would prefer to race as a Clydesdale because these are people who are carrying a heck of a lot more across the line.  Like I said, it's like a heavyweight division in fighting.  The heavyweight title holder is more awesome than the lightweight title holder to me.  I have to race AG but I'm 5'10, 217.  If I was 5'10, 160 it wouldn't be the same person.  I wouldn't have the same power or humble awesomeness as I do right now.  LOL

Exhibit 1.
Yeah, I'm the fastest!

Exhibit B
MOVE, Get out da way!

Totally off-topic, but GO STEELERS!  Nothing could stop The Bus! 
2009-07-31 4:04 PM
in reply to: #2320348

User image

I know of a couple who don't do his race because of it. Why doesn't he offer it? His race sells out kmonths in advance, every year for the past decade or so.

That's the attitude I don't get.  I race races because I want to.  Some have clydes, some don't.  I register with whatever group will have me.

but at least this thread makes me feel more included, as I am definitely slow enough to race clydes.  phew!  

2009-07-31 4:04 PM
in reply to: #2320355

User image

Champion
the colony texas
I think they should allow people to sign up for any age group and male and female status they want... but keep it a secret.. you won't know till the awards that you won 1st 80-85 female.  and if everyone picked the same as you. HA!!! you still lose out...

the element of mystery is a great draw....

I'm sooo going to be a RD someday... a broke one...
2009-07-31 4:06 PM
in reply to: #2320348

User image

Champion
Alabama

the bear - 2009-07-31 3:56 PM Race directors do what they can to get as many people to enter their events as possible. Of course, people are motivated by many different reasons, and one of them is bling.

So an RD is going to have as many categories and as much bling that he needs to bring him a marginal benefit that is greater than the cost of providing that bling. Purely an economic decision. Purists can argue against classifications as much as they want, but in the end it's the RDs choice.

By the opposite token: The biggest race in our area does NOT offer clyde/athena divisions. I have friends who have argued witht he RD (who is the nicest guy you'd ever want to meet) until they were blue in the face to no avail. I know of a couple who don't do his race because of it. Why doesn't he offer it? His race sells out kmonths in advance, every year for the past decade or so.

Evidently he feels the male/female and age group divisions to be worth the effort, as wella s the Masters and Grand Masters. 

I agree.  It all comes down the the RD's decision about how to build/maintain an economically viable race.  The very frist tri I ever did had a Clyde div of men over 225 lbs.  I came in 3rd!  It is my only triatholon claim to fame!  (there were only 5 in that division and I'd beat two of them)  I went back the next year and hoped to place again but they had changed the Clyde div to 210 and there were about 30 in the division and some 210 lb guy won with a time to rival the AGers. 

I've often wondered my IMKY did not have a clyde division.  Kona doesn't either....so maybe that's why.

~Mike

2009-07-31 4:10 PM
in reply to: #2320362

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I do think that in a race with Athena/Clyde divisions, they should not be optional.  I want to see weigh-ins, just like in high school wrestling.  If you're 146 as a woman, and the Athena division says 145, then you race Athena.

I wish all divisions were self placing.  I would much rather race with the 20 year old women.  The 20-24 category is much slower than 30-34 where I am.  Or actually the teenagers are generally pretty slow and I think I'd do well there.

I chose to race Athena for the first time this year because it gave me a better wave start, in my opinion.  Now I will probably do it whenever it's available.  The winner in my division (at an Oly) finished in about 2:40 - certainly not a gimme.  I looked at her results on athlink and found that she was a good competitor in general.  Of course my 3rd place finish in 3:07 was ridiculous.  But don't worry, I didn't get the bling.  I got a cheap backpack.

2009-07-31 4:10 PM

User image

Master
Houston
Why would it impress you more if their time was the exact same? Unless of course you thought Clydesdales were just slower

jldicarlo - 2009-07-31 3:35 PM0
  if someone told me they came in 5th in their AG I would be far far far more impressed than if they told me they placed first in Clydes.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Why would someone this fast race Clydes? Rss Feed  

of 4