General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Yet another... Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-03-24 9:21 AM

Subject: Yet another...
newbie to the site. I'm thining of doing my first triathlon - the Xterra Sport down in Richmond in June. Any additional tips for off-road triathlon training, other than train off road? I'm not the best swimmer (which is to say that I swim abilities = not drowning), but I'm wanting to change that. Since I probably won't be able to practice in the open water, I will be getting a pool membership later this week.

2004-03-24 10:07 AM
in reply to: #14063

User image

Subject: RE: Yet another...

Welcome to the site. You'll find a ton of encouragement and great tips here.

for swimming - I would look into the Total Immersion technique. Seems to be very popular in the Tri circle.

Good Luck!

LA

2004-03-24 10:53 AM

User image

Veteran
For an off-road tri, train off road. Running and biking off road takes more technical skill then on the road. You have to go fast while you watchout for abnromal ground in front of you. I just got a mtn bike for hill training. I figure that if I can get up a hill of sand, the road hills will be easy.
A pool membership is important. I live near lakes, but even in the summer I go to the pool for some of my swim training.

Good luck,

Charles
2004-03-25 12:30 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member
welcome the site!  i second what rober said...train for your racing conditions.  may have to be a little more skilled on 'on-the-fly' bike repair.  at least get a few open water swims in a month before your race...have somebody wathcing u though...its a lot different.
2004-03-25 1:31 PM
in reply to: #14328

Thanks for the tips! I'm real excited...I've done a couple off road races (mt. biking, trail runs and an adventure sprint). Swimming will be my biggest challenge, however I'm going in with the attitude that I just want to finish and have fun.

Kind of a silly question, but I've always wondered - is it "gross" swimming open water. The race I want to do is out in Richmond and the swim portion is on the James River - which I think isn't the cleanest...
2004-03-25 5:59 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Welcome Marissa! I saw the Xterra championships on TV about a month ago and was so inspired, I practically signed up for an offroad tri that day! Then I remembered that I don't have a mountain bike and my sense returned!!

It's great that you are getting the pool membership, but you should really try to do a few open water swims if you can. It will really help you to not need to wonder about those 'gross' waters!!

Best to you,

Dana

2004-03-25 11:02 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
I really suggest that you try to get comfortable with the swim.  If you can come out of the water and not be exhausted, it will make the rest of the race a little easier!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Yet another... Rss Feed