General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice on heart rate monitors and gps systems Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-01 5:04 PM

New user

Subject: Advice on heart rate monitors and gps systems

I'm new to triathalons and I would like to get some feedback on the best options for heart rate monitors and gps systems. I would like a system that uses the gps to track my route and then have the abiltiy to upload the data to track my training and performance. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

2009-08-01 8:29 PM
in reply to: #2321591

User image

Elite
Preferably on my bike somewhere
Subject: RE: Advice on heart rate monitors and gps systems
daxclimber - 2009-08-01 6:04 PM

I'm new to triathalons and I would like to get some feedback on the best options for heart rate monitors and gps systems. I would like a system that uses the gps to track my route and then have the abiltiy to upload the data to track my training and performance. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Garmin Forerunner 305 has been solid for me so far. The altimeter is weak, and leads to some really interesting (if inaccurate) bits of information.

With the attachements, you can get cadence, and a bike mount. Not sure if you can still find them new, but I know alot of folks around here use it. There's a new one that is significantly smaller. The Garmin software is solid and their support has been good for folks around here.

Just be careful - it's easy to get sucked in to gadgets and gear-whorism. Before you go dropping a few hundred dollars, make sure you want to stick with the sport. A good HRM and speedo on your bike is a lot less money.
2009-08-01 9:29 PM
in reply to: #2321591

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
Subject: RE: Advice on heart rate monitors and gps systems
I'm a computer tech- gadget freak and have recently gotten into Tri's. My favorite unit is a Garmin Edge 705. I have a Forerunner 305 but I don't like the screen or short battery life. But for $159 or so the 305 is ok considering the 705 is about $450. But consider the 705 especially if you do lots of cycling.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Advice on heart rate monitors and gps systems Rss Feed