General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM done...what do we do know Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-02 12:46 PM

New user
Subject: IM done...what do we do know
I know this may sound crazy but Im going crazy just sitting around after LP waiting to recover.  Dont get me wrong, it was an amazing finish, however, I can easily see myself going into a long slump now that its over.  What have other finishers done in the past to keep that fire going.  I dont think I'll do another IM but still want to challenge myslef (and not spend a lot of $$$).  This one really killed the wallet. 

Thanks

I think I need a pciture or a cool qoute now that I am an Ironman!

2009-08-02 12:56 PM
in reply to: #2322308

User image

Expert
scottsdale, az
Subject: RE: IM done...what do we do know
you mean, what do we do NOW? After my 1st IM, I chilled and relaxed for a while. Now, I hope to work on Boston qualifying in the next year and a half. Make a new goal for the future! Better 5k, marathon PR, ultramarathon, something!
2009-08-02 1:02 PM

New user
Subject: RE: IM done...what do we do now
Thanks fixed the typo--see what I mean.  I cant even Spell.  Ha.  I agree.  I've never been a fast runner..or biker for that matter so I think I'll focus on sped work and try to set a PR at 5 an 10k's
2009-08-02 1:16 PM

User image

Expert
scottsdale, az
Congrats on becoming an Ironman by the way!! That's a HUGE accomplishment!
2009-08-02 2:36 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Yep very common feelings..I stayed on IM high for quite awhile after LP last year.

I found cyclocross and started racing that 1-3x a week all fall. What really was hard is my mind wanted to go do stuff but my body didn't. It wasn't until the beginning of October that I pulled the plug and didn't r/s for 4 weeks and only raced on cross race during that time, that my body started to feel better.

The strange thing is I was fitter than I had ever been but so tired/fatigued. I did a sprint tri with my family 2 weeks after LP..stupid but it was a huge family thing for my extended family in MN. I've never wanted to quit before that race..bike just hurt..did place first in my AG though run sucked but came back.

So it was this desire to do compared to how my body felt that was so odd.
2009-08-02 3:12 PM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
That's an interesting question for me to consider. I have only ever done an Ironman as a means of trying to qualify for Kona. So I did and races in Hawaii in 2007. Now I am looking to do another IM this year in order to again qualify for Hawaii. Right now going to Hawaii is my only motivation to race an IM. I think at some point I would like to do a destination IM, but again I will probably still be using it as an end to a means....of getting back to Hawaii. Hawaii is really that good.

2009-08-02 5:04 PM
in reply to: #2322463

User image

Champion
MA
bryancd - 2009-08-02 4:12 PM That's an interesting question for me to consider. I have only ever done an Ironman as a means of trying to qualify for Kona. So I did and races in Hawaii in 2007. Now I am looking to do another IM this year in order to again qualify for Hawaii. Right now going to Hawaii is my only motivation to race an IM. I think at some point I would like to do a destination IM, but again I will probably still be using it as an end to a means....of getting back to Hawaii. Hawaii is really that good.

Good Luck Bryan!

Some of us going to Kona isn't really on the radar screen as our abilities are far below what is needed.

I think why we do an IM varies from person to person and how we feel afterwards can be effected by our goals and expectations going in.
2009-08-02 9:00 PM

New user
All true.  While Kona must be an awesome goal, its not in the cards for me.  I actually swam today--first workout since IMLP.  I made it about 1,000 yds and my body just didnt want to do much more.  I swam 1:04:00 at LP--not in the top 10% but still a decent swim.  However, like Kathy said, the brain and body were not on the same page.  Still felt good to walk into the pool in my finishers shirt (I doubt I'll get the MDOT tatt!).  My only regret is not getting to know anyone on this board.  It would've been great to meet up with a few of you up in LP.
2009-08-02 9:03 PM

User image

Elite
Spring, TX

I know the feeling!

I finished IM CdA 5-6 weeks ago, and I'm still floundering about, looking for what to do next.  I have plenty of exciting stuff in my life, but I still feel like there's a void that needs to be filled.  Like you, I'm focusing on speed work for a while and might sign up for a late season race.  We'll see!

Good luck, and just enjoy the recovery!

2009-08-03 8:11 AM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO

Congrats on finishing you IM!  As far as what to do...start out by relaxing for a while.  You have just finished something that required serious dedication and many hours of training.  Your body needs time to recover.  Maybe look for another type of event this winter after you have had time to rest...you deserve it!

I am doing my first IM next month.  I can tell you already I can't wait for it to be over.  While I enjoy the training it really has been much more of a burdon than I anticipated.  I really feel like I have negelcted my family this summer...not only because I have been spending so much time training...but also because I am so tired!  Been feeling very quilty lately!  I'm this far into it so I will see it through but I won't be doing this again.

2009-08-03 8:50 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
All I know is that whatever you decide to do... it will seem "easier" than it did before! HA!

After my IM Aug 2007... I took a good 2-3 months and just did what I FELT like doing. I laid on the sofa after work. Went out with friends. Had some adult beverages. I had FUN! 8 months of my life was dedicated to training and I wanted my social life back.

Then in December I started training for my first stand alone marathon... with a friend. I made a trade with her... I would visit her in Minnesota... if she did a marathon with me. She said... sure!

The training was actually ENJOYABLE... it wasn't torture... because compared to IM training... it was "easy".

2008 for me is about having balance... fun... and enjoying training and life. So far, it's been my best year yet! Started with a marathon (got a stress fracture)... went to Maryland for a 3 mile OWS... did a sprint tri (that I PR'ed and missed placing 3rd in my AG by 4 seconds)... my running is amazing... and my HIM training isn't miserable.

Yep, a very good year indeed.

Have fun. Enjoy life. Enjoy training. You can do whatever you set your mind to.

2009-08-03 9:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horse Country

Late season marathon would be a great goal.  Do take some time to reward yourself with some time off of exercising how and when you want to.  Do some fun group rides with friends or the local bike club, run without a watch on at a comfortable pace, skip the masters swim workout and just do some laps by yourself to stay loose. 

Be careful to not let this become too much of a habit though.  After my first IM, I was so burnt out that I took about 4 solid months off doing absolutely nothing and gained an easy 15 lbs.  If you are looking for new goals to set consider your motivations (Im struggling with this process right now myself) ... are you fast enough where qualifying for Kona or Clearwater is a reasonable goal?  If not, what about qualifying for USAT Nationals in either Short or Long Course, or Boston?  If speed isnt your thing, what about coordinating a major vacation around an event ... like St Croix 70.3 (highly recommended!!) or even something in Europe?  If traveling isnt your thing, maybe you want to up the distance and try an ultramarathon?

2009-08-03 10:09 AM
in reply to: #2323481

User image

Veteran
Maine
rayd - 2009-08-03 9:11 AM

Congrats on finishing you IM!  As far as what to do...start out by relaxing for a while.  You have just finished something that required serious dedication and many hours of training.  Your body needs time to recover.  Maybe look for another type of event this winter after you have had time to rest...you deserve it!

I am doing my first IM next month.  I can tell you already I can't wait for it to be over.  While I enjoy the training it really has been much more of a burdon than I anticipated.  I really feel like I have negelcted my family this summer...not only because I have been spending so much time training...but also because I am so tired!  Been feeling very quilty lately!  I'm this far into it so I will see it through but I won't be doing this again.

Rayd....... That's exactly how I felt. Although I did most of my training at work during lunch or late nights\early mornings, it's more than just the time spent away from the family. You are always tired, thinking of the next day's workouts, nutrition, bike mechanics etc.... It's hard on your family no matter how much we pretend it isn't. I am so glad it is over for my families sake. My advice to you is to stick with your training so your previous workouts (time away) is not for nothing. When the IM is over, devote all as much free time to them as possible. Forget about what's next and worry about "now".

If I were single I would have already signed up for my next one and be training for a Kona spot, but for the rest of the summer I want to be there mentally and physically for my family. I'm a big kid and like to participate in all the things my kids do. When I take them to the skate park I want to be on a skateboard with them. That was the hardest thing for me.

Ok enough rant..... For me, I just needed to do an Ironman for my own piece of mind. I always had it in the back of my mind and couldn't fully move on to say.....Xterra or any other sport until I got past IM. Now that I'm done with IM (for now) I feel totally free to do what ever I want. Not sure what that is yet, but I now feel like my options are limitless. I'm not a slave to the TT bike anymore if I don't want to be and can start having some fun on my mountain/road bike. The funny think is, I thought I would want to hang up everything for a few months and just do nothing yet I still have a craving to race and workout. I have no idea what I'm going to do next, but I am enjoying the post IM glow.

The rest of the summer will include lots of camping, going to the beach, bike rides\skate park with the kids and workouts at lunch. I am not in a rush to pick the next event.
2009-08-03 11:15 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

cctri - 2009-08-02 12:46 PM I know this may sound crazy but Im going crazy just sitting around after LP waiting to recover.  Dont get me wrong, it was an amazing finish, however, I can easily see myself going into a long slump now that its over.  What have other finishers done in the past to keep that fire going.  I dont think I'll do another IM but still want to challenge myslef (and not spend a lot of $$$).  This one really killed the wallet. 

Thanks

I think I need a pciture or a cool qoute now that I am an Ironman!

Go long or die! 

I just made that up.  I read your post yesterday and have been giving it some thought.  My initial reply was going  to be "sign up for another IM" but then I read your post again and see that you don't want to do another IM.  So your dilema is, you want the challange and reward of an IM but you don't want to pay for it.  Hmmm, that is a challange.  Here are some suggestions:

1. Find a cheaper, non-Mdot race.

2.  Find a cheap HIM and complete the course twice.

3.  Set some 'swing for the fence' time goals.

4.  Hike to Everest Base Camp.

5.  Do a marathon and century ride in all 50 states.

6.  Coach/mentor a fist time IM

I never really had serious post-IM depression becuase I always signed up for another one upon completion of the event.  I can relate though in terms of vacations.  I invented a disorder I call PVTSD.  I think a variation of PVTST is PIMTSD.  The only documented cure is "sign up for the next event"

Here is the medical defintion of PVTSD that I invented:

I've got the post-vacation traumatic stress disorder (PVTSD).  If there isn't such a thing, then I just invented it!  This phenomenon occurs following the "vacation of a life-time" and is characterized by periods of lethargy and apathy while the patient recalls how it seemed as though he had passed through some portal into another dimension.  A dimension of sight and sound (Mike does his best Rod Serling impression) so far removed from the vicissitudes of real life as to be a seemingly perpetual dream. 

I have developed a new appreciation for the feeling a repeat-criminal must feel upon his return behind bars.  For a short time, I was free!  Meetings and appointments and obligations and commitments did not mandate my comings and goings.  I awoke every morning with an attitude of expectancy whereby I expected good things to come my way.

~Mike

2009-08-03 2:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Land of Mickey-Orlando
I have not completed my IM yet, but have been told that it is good to have a goal beyond it. I have signed up to do the Goofy Challenge at Walt Disney World in January...a little more than 3 months after my Ironman. Hopefully, I can accomplish this. In case you don't know, the Goofy is a full marathon and a half marathon in the same weekend.

Just an idea!! Congrats on your finish!! I hope to be at the finish line before midnight on November 7th
2009-08-03 3:56 PM

User image

Veteran

And if you add the 5K on Friday to the Goofy, you get to unoffically complete the Dopey.  That's what I will be doing.  Next year's goal is a HIM.

2009-08-03 4:40 PM

User image

Pro
Brooklyn, NY
My IM is 6 weeks away and I'm already looking at some post-race milestones. I have loved the training and actually am not looking forward to it ending. I feel like I found a solid balance between work, training and my social life and while it will be nice not to be doing double workouts every day, I still want to keep up the training and focus on some new things. I'll have an unstructured recovery training block of roughly 3-4 weeks and during that time I'm racing the Army 10-Miler with my sister. I have to treat it as a fun run and will likely run/walk it with her at her pace so we can cross the finish line together - something I'd never do if I were just racing normally. After that I'm ramping up for a fall marathon where if I'm recovered enough, I hope to set a PR. Then I have an HIM in April so I can avoid slipping into a winter slump. Oh, and I signed up for IM #2 already so that helps too

If IM is too much, have you considered picking a handful of HIMs instead?

Congrats on the achievement!
2009-08-03 5:19 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Oh yeah... and HIM training is enjoyable... even easy... after you have done IM training!

I actually don't mind HIM training at all. Compared to what I was doing last year... it's a breeze!

It's all relative.

2009-08-03 6:56 PM

New user
Good advice all--after reading I decided to go out for a 4 mile run..just because.  It felt great..a little sore..but I wasnt worrying about strides or splits or mileage.  I just ran for a while than came home...
2009-08-03 7:11 PM

User image

Veteran
I just finished cda and I wasn't ready to not have a triathlon goal. I signed up for 70.3 augusta. I will definitely be ready for a break after I finish that. I'm starting to get burned out! appreciate your accomplishment and relish in it. then pick another smaller goal, maybe not even triathlon related so that you have something to focus on. Its hard to live 24:7 with ironman on the brain and then suddenly you finish. I felt lost... so I went crazy and added more races to finish out the season. good luck and congrats!!!
2009-08-04 12:51 AM

Veteran
Boston
after my first IM I went into a mini post-Ironman depression (which a psychologist told me is actually a real term) which was somewhat reduced due to the fact that my best friend who did the race with me was emotionally messed up because she was hypohydrated and it messed with her body chemistry.

MY POINT IS...... if I could have done it again, I would have made a post-Ironman goal, or race, to look forward to after the Ironman. I've always been a goal setter, and IM used to be the ultimate goal - and what I noticed that happened to me was that I was so nieve that I couldn't see past IM completion in order to set another goal which would keep me occupied.

Even if it is a sprint or Olympic distance, or even something like acing your next big exam or doing an amazing job on your next work presentation and impressing the pants off of your co-workers, try to set another goal quick so you don't fall into a slump.

I hope that works out for you!

2009-08-07 9:26 PM

User image

I did IM UK last week as my first ironman.  Do not think I want to put the traiing time in an IM again next season so I was thinking a goal would be to qualify for Boston or look into one of the Xterra events.  My PB for a marathon is 3:44:00, need to get that below 3:15:00 to qualify for Boston.

Also, I will continue to do duathlons/triathlons of all distances for personal bests.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM done...what do we do know Rss Feed