General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Atlanta Iron Girl on TV Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-02 2:01 PM

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
Subject: Atlanta Iron Girl on TV

I don't know if any of you saw, but the Iron Girl Atlanta race was on this afternoon.  I was disappointed that the coverage of the Hy Vee tri in Whatevercityitis, Iowa didn't show the women's race.  I don't know if this is the network's attempt at gender-equality, or not, but I was struck by a couple things while watching the coverage.

There is more triathlon on TV now than I've ever seen in the past.  This is a great thing.  A growing sport should have growing coverage.

I was disappointed in the race they showed, though.  There were only about half a dozen pros in the race so the race wasn't very competative.  The coverage was also exceedingly fluffy with stories of disease and loss by the amateurs in the race taking up almost as much time as race coverage itself.  Was this perhaps because it was a women's race?  I don't know.  I hope not.

Just curious what your thoughts are on this.  Anybody?

2009-08-02 3:23 PM
in reply to: #2322386

Regular
Subject: RE: Atlanta Iron Girl on TV
In a Georgia thread it said it'd air on the 23rd of August.  Maybe that format will be a little different.  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=163530&posts=20&start=1

As to why it's more "fluffy".  Well with it being a women's event I think it would appeal to more let's just call them "normal" women who might be turned off by it if they just saw the pro skinny as a rail women which they feel they could never be.  But throw in a woman who was 200lbs a year ago and is now 140-150lbs they might look at it and say "Holy cow, that could be me" and maybe just start getting into triathlons.

Also with it being a shorter 530m swim/18mile bike ride/5k run I'm guessing it won't attract that many pros unless there is a major purse.

Either way I'm excited to see it.
2009-08-02 4:51 PM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Since I did this race my first reaction was to be offended. Then I thought about it some more and I was a little disappointed in the coverage as well. I would have liked to see me and my friends but some of the stories of the cancer survivors were good stories. It gives a human interest aspect to a sport that still is on the fringe for a lot of America. (and let's be honest, the sport isn't exactly super spectator-friendly, either)

I will tell you one reason it was on TV was because the company that owns the Iron Girl name is the same one who owns the branded Ironman - and they have a contract with NBC. As far as the pros go, we don't get that many down here - ever. Michellie Jones did the inaugural event 2 years ago and she's the only nationally known pro that has raced here lately so to have that many was a big deal.
2009-08-02 5:10 PM

User image

Master
Franklin, TN

I made a note a few days ago when I saw that the tri was going to be on network tv.  Our 12 year old son and I watched a good bit of it today after church. This is only my 2nd full year of (5) tris and he did one last year. But the cancer survivor stories were good.

If it is a women-only race and it showed cancer-survivors getting out and "doing something", I'm all for it. My step-mother is a survivor from 1985. Still going strong.

2009-08-02 5:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Once you watch The Ford Ironman World Championship (like last weekend) nothing really compares.

I watched it...I got bored pretty fast...and the announcer lady drove me nuts...other than that it was cool to see it on TV. And that one pro lady who won is the fastest runner I have seen...geez...she practically sprinted the run.
2009-08-02 7:00 PM

Regular
I watched it and enjoyed it. I would rather have not seen any of the pros and seen more stories. It gives people motivation to have a reason to live a health lifetsyle, be thankful for each day, and be blessed for what they have.  We know pros are going to rock-awesome.  However, I think it is important to highlight that you can be fit and run a ten minute mile and you don't have to win to have fun, be in shape, make good memories, and most importantly-support something that is close to one's heart. I don't like it when people get all worried about winning a race that is mean to benefit something bigger that our silly times.  Just go have fun.  Everyone has taken a different path to get to compete in a triathlon or any event.  I was impressed by the lady who came back to compete after she shattered bones everywhere-that is an athlete-mental toughness/determination/perserverence!!!  That was, in my opinion, the point of the race.  Especially the mother who was doing it bc her son was a cancer survivor who has spent his childhood in an Afleck hospital-as a mother of three young daughters-that brought tears to my eyes.   I am doing triathlons this year because I enjoy the time I can train with my husband, be a role model for my daughters to take care of their bodies, and to have fun-feeling good about staying healthy! 

2009-08-02 7:32 PM
in reply to: #2322612

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
meblack - 2009-08-02 5:17 PM Once you watch The Ford Ironman World Championship (like last weekend) nothing really compares.

I watched it...I got bored pretty fast...and the announcer lady drove me nuts...other than that it was cool to see it on TV. And that one pro lady who won is the fastest runner I have seen...geez...she practically sprinted the run.

X2.  That was painful to watch.  I DVRd it and just played it back and ended up fast forwarding alot of it.  I pretty much DVR every cycling and triathlon that comes on TV that I can get and that was the worst I've seen yet...

Don't get me wrong about the touching stories, but as a sporting event is was bad... 
2009-08-02 9:11 PM

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN

As I said in my original post, I am happy to see any triathlon on TV.  Just about any exposure to our sport is good exposure. 

Pretty much with any tri coverage, though, I wish the commentators would talk more about each of the disciplines.  The woman said a couple words about the transitions, which is more than is usually said, but I would like to hear more.  I wish they would talk a little about strategy, and exactly what is going on and why.

As far as the inspirational stories go, I agree that they are good stories, but for any sports coverage (Olympics especially) I tire of them pretty quickly.  I am more interested in the sport itself.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Atlanta Iron Girl on TV Rss Feed