General Discussion Triathlon Talk » does everyone feel this unorganized in the beginning? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-02 6:28 PM

Subject: does everyone feel this unorganized in the beginning?
i recently started training....well i guess a body beat down. i run currently 19 miles a week over 4 days and bike almost everday. im in kuwait so i cant swim. the bike i use isnt real.... its more of a indoor bike trainer i guess which doesn't tell me the resistance, mileage, or speed. the nutrition here sucks as i can't buy groceries. i have to eat the greasy food im alotted. however i am extremely dedicated to this new lifestyle i work out alot...  but mostly running and biking. looking through this site makes me feel like im too unorganized to even start running triathalons. im currently trying to go eod so my physical activities are pretty much the same. so is it always like this in the beginning or do i just suck?  lol anyways im new here and hello to everyone.

2009-08-02 6:38 PM
in reply to: #2322737

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Subject: RE: does everyone feel this unorganized in the beginning?
Welcome to BT!! Quit being so hard on yourself! You have embraced an active lifestyle and that is to be commended. Take a peek at some of the training plans here.....that might get you a little more "organized". No pools to swim in? Hmmmm.....kinda hard to train the swim then.......

Good Luck! 
2009-08-02 6:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Burke, VA
A lot of people start in the same boat as you. I know some people who only swim from memorial day to labor day. Most people bike on a trainer or stationary bike and treadmill in the winter. Just look at it as your off-season training. Keep up the good work.
2009-08-02 9:54 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
jstupid - 2009-08-02 6:28 PM

i recently started training....well i guess a body beat down. i run currently 19 miles a week over 4 days and bike almost everday. im in kuwait so i cant swim. the bike i use isnt real.... its more of a indoor bike trainer i guess which doesn't tell me the resistance, mileage, or speed. the nutrition here sucks as i can't buy groceries. i have to eat the greasy food im alotted. however i am extremely dedicated to this new lifestyle i work out alot...  but mostly running and biking. looking through this site makes me feel like im too unorganized to even start running triathalons. im currently trying to go eod so my physical activities are pretty much the same. so is it always like this in the beginning or do i just suck?  lol anyways im new here and hello to everyone.

Disorganized... or lost?

I was really LOST when I started training for tri's. It was very overwhelming.

Now, my 5th year racing... I'm finally confident enough in myself to use a training plan from a book and to do it... vs. having a coach (had one for 2007 and 2008).

Keep running and keep cycling. So when you get back stateside, you will be ready to get on a real bike and to start swimming.

Unless you have a background in swimming (aka: competitive at some point), that is where you will end up working the most. Until then, get strong in the other two areas.

Good job!!!

2009-08-02 10:04 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
When I started, I was 99% clueless, and made lots of beginner mistakes (going too hard on the run every time, poor choice of first bike, not biking enough, blah blah blah).  I did a lot of reading -- and much of it online, including stuff here, including lots of training plans -- and now I'm only 95% clueless and make some beginner mistakes and some intermediate mistakes.

Read some, train as you can, and think hard about what you are doing.  What seems to be working, and what doesn't?  It takes time, but it's GOOD time!

Best of luck to you!
2009-08-02 10:13 PM

Expert
Race duathlons, its cycling and running.

2009-08-02 10:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
jstupid - 2009-08-02 6:28 PM
the bike i use isnt real.... its more of a indoor bike trainer i guess which doesn't tell me the resistance, mileage, or speed.

A lot of beginner triathlon plans don't use mileage. They're based on time in the saddle (or running). So just set your watch for a set goal (30 minutes, 40 minutes, whatever) and pedal.  When you have access to a bike with speedometer, cadence, etc., then you can geek out and start tracking data. 

-Joel
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » does everyone feel this unorganized in the beginning? Rss Feed