General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Prepatellar Bursitis Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-02 11:05 PM

User image

Subject: Prepatellar Bursitis
Hey guys,

I didn't have much luck with this in the general forum so I thought I'd try it out on my local folks...

Anyone have any experience with bursitis? I think I developed what's called pre-patellar bursitis (in front of the kneecap) rather quickly last weekend when I was leaning on my left knee on the concrete to deflate my son's blow up pool. I went to stand up and my knee was the size of a baseball! Talk about alarming - I almost freaked! The strange thing was, it didn't hurt. I went inside and iced it for about an hour and the swelling went down, but then this morning I totally forgot about it and leaned on it for about 3 seconds to check my son's temp, and it swelled back up again. It's definitely been sore this past week, but I was still able to walk/jog a little and ride the bike.

Any thoughts/comments/treatment options are welcome. So far I've only iced it. Not really sure what else to do for it. It's not going to stop me from my Aug 22nd tri, but it's definitely got me thinking I may have to walk more of the 5K than I'd like.

Thanks in advance you guys,
tb

2009-08-03 8:54 AM
in reply to: #2323200

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Prepatellar Bursitis
Well my friend got bursitis in her hip... and her Dr. pretty much grounded her from running and biking. She wasn't swimming, but she is taking it up.

Sorry, I don't know anything about it other than that.

If it's a bad injury... you should rest and let it heal... vs. pushing through it.

2009-08-03 9:32 AM

User image

Thanks for the advice! I am trying to take it a bit easier, but what's weird is that exercise doesn't make it feel any worse. The only thing that seems to make it worse is a direct blow to my knee, like kneeling down on it or up against it. Sure it's sore and tends to throb a bit when I go from sitting to standing, but the actual process of walking on it doesn't hurt at all. I guess that's a good thing.

Strange, eh? I guess for now I'll keep icing it (especially after a walk/jog or a ride) and see how it goes.

Thanks again!
2009-08-03 4:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Take it easy, I am battling back from a bad knee injury and you don't want to make it worse.  Dr will probably just tell you to RICE it.... Rest Ice Compress and Elevate.

There is a forum on here for injuries, might want to post on there.  Probably some medical experts on that thread.

Good luck, hope to see you out there.
2009-08-05 8:52 AM

User image

Houston, Texas
I had the same diagnosis after playing soccer on field turf and taking a couple of hard falls to the knee.  I saw the doctor after about a week when the swelling didn't subside.  He drained the bursa and recommended that I keep it wrapped with an ace bandage or knee sleeve and try to keep it elevated as much as possible.  He also recommended taking OTC ibuprofen/advil.  The bursa slowly refilled with fluid the week after visiting the doctor and then slowly started to subside.   I wasn't in any pain and continued to train though at shorter distances.  It took close to 4-5 weeks before my knee looked normal, the swelling was completely gone and I had zero pain.  I attribute the time it took to heal to not resting enough.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Prepatellar Bursitis Rss Feed