General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need some guidance on wetsuits during the swim Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-02 11:09 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Subject: Need some guidance on wetsuits during the swim
Just completed my second Tri-It Sprint today and am planning on going to a full sprint my next Tri in Sept.  I was able to increase my time by about 34 sec. (1/4 miles swim time 7 min. 55 sec.) and my 100 yd pace from a 1:56 to 1:48.  I worked hard this past month with my swim and it paid off.  I was also first out of the water out of 25 of us.  This is encouraging to me, however, there was a part of the swim (as with my first Tri) that I just felt out of breath and felt like my wet suit was restricting my breathing.  I used a sleeveless this time.  I don't think it was the fit of the wetsuit.  The last bouy to home was actually great and was the best part of my swim.  From bouy 1 - bouy 2 I had to side stroke and once someone caught me I then used his draft to develop my pace again which helped.

I am beginning to wonder about a Full sprint and having to swim a half mile given the struggles I feel I am having with the 1/4 mile.  I don't own a wetsuit so I am renting at this point.  I want to get a perspective and point of view from you experienced Triathletes;  do you think this is a matter of not enough open water swimming in a wetsuit and if I did more open water swimming in a wetsuit I'd be more comfortable in it?  What did others experience at the start? Any feedback and insights would be helpful.

THX

2009-08-02 11:19 PM
in reply to: #2323204

User image

Expert
Southern Pines, NC
Subject: RE: Need some guidance on wetsuits during the swim
Sounds like you just need to try a different wetsuit.

I switched from a Blue Seventy to an Xterra because the B70 was a little tight in the shoulders for me. With a little experience I learned that no, that's not just how a wetsuit is supposed to feel...

Every brand is a little different in terms of cut/fit/etc of their suits. You might want to look for one that offers a nice low neck, like Xterra or others. Unfortunately it's a lot of trial and error finding the one you like the best.
2009-08-03 12:16 AM

Extreme Veteran
Minneapolis
Find one that fits - so important!!  I'm fortunate that my B70 fits like it was tailor made for me - sooo completely comfy in the water; it's amazing what a difference a truly well-fitting wetsuit makes - it's night & day for your confidence!

Cheers, Chris 
2009-08-03 7:46 AM

User image

Ann Arbor
TriGuyBri - 2009-08-03 12:09 AM The last bouy to home was actually great and was the best part of my swim.  From bouy 1 - bouy 2 I had to side stroke and once someone caught me I then used his draft to develop my pace again which helped.

If you're having trouble with breathing in the beginning of the swim but feeling better at the end, I think you need to warm up (more).
2009-08-04 9:41 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Thanks for the insights on wetsuits.  I went ahead and bit the bullet and purchased my own Sleeveless Vortex 3 from XTERRA this afternoon.  I am also extending my rental for three weeks so I have something to use the next three weeks for my open water swim practices I am going to start doing with the local club.  IMy new won't arrive until August 28th which will give me maybe a couple times using it prior to my Sprint on Sept. 5th. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need some guidance on wetsuits during the swim Rss Feed