General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner IM Training Plan: Bronze vs Silver Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-03 2:21 PM

User image

Subject: Beginner IM Training Plan: Bronze vs Silver
I'm curious how many have used either beginner training plan for their first IM, and what you thought.

The "bronze" plan seems pretty reasonable, if not maybe a little light? The "silver" plan looks like it's more intense, with greater time requirements and strengthening. Probably, a little too much time as I work full time and have small kids.

Is Bronze plan enough to finish an IM strong with a decent effort? How about the Silver?

Thanks.

2009-08-03 3:42 PM
in reply to: #2324685

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Beginner IM Training Plan: Bronze vs Silver
Last year I did the bronze 20 wk beginner IM plan for Louisville (my first IM).  The plan definitely was enough to "just" finish.  I finished in 13:24.  The plan actually was about all that I could handle with working 40hrs/wk on midnights and having a wife and 1yr old.  I found the most hours I ever could really find time for was about 17/wk and that was TOUGH.  The beginner plan I think tops out just under 20 hrs and that is only once or so.  In my opinion, and I'm sure I will catch some flack for saying this, you don't need to be doing 20hrs/wk for 20+ weeks to do an IM.  I bet I would have been fine with averaging 15hrs a week with only a few above that.  Consistencency is what its all about, so for your first IM do the plan that best fits your lifestyle and just stay consistent.  Once your body is used to the punishment of training race day is nothing more than following your race plan.
2009-08-03 7:37 PM

User image

Expert
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Currently using the Bronze IM plan for IM lou.  I'll let you know if it works in 27 days!!!

2009-08-04 12:32 AM

User image

Regular
Central MN
Yeah, what a huge increase from the bronze to the silver plan. Not sure if I can maintain a family life ouside of the bronze plan.
2009-08-04 2:39 PM

New user
Did bronze for IMLP last week--first IM. It certainly is enought to finish, however, I don't think there is enough biking and maybe too much swimming.  I finished in 12:28:42.  I was shooting for sub 13:00 so I was happy.   But I was spent after the bike and walked a lot during last 13 miles.  If you're just looking to finish, Bronze is fine but sub some swims for Long bikes or bike/run bricks.....but thats just my take.  Overall,  a reasonable plan.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner IM Training Plan: Bronze vs Silver Rss Feed