General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting cold during swims Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-03 6:33 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
Subject: Getting cold during swims
Lately, I've been having a very hard time tolerating my pool lap swims. The water temp doesn't seem all that cold to me...at least not initially when I get in. I've also asked other swimmers there, if they think the water is cold, and usually get a "no, it's fine" as a response on any given day. I swim in an unheated, outdoor 50 meter pool. My last few swims, I have had to cut my swims short due to being covered head-to-toe in goosebumps. This usually happens around the 1,500-1,600 meter mark...then I force myself to swim the last few hundred meters or so, until I reach 2,000 meters. But by that time, I am so friggin' cold...that I'm shaking and shivering uncontrollably when I get out of the water. I generally eat a mini Clif bar (100 calories), on my way to the pool. What could be causing these "cold" episodes that I'm having? Anyone else experience this? Could it be a nutrition issue? Or perhaps some other health or medical issue that I am unaware of?

ETA - I am slightly hypothyroid and taking medication daily for it. Most recent tests, came back normal...so I don't think it's thyroid-related.

Edited by nscrbug 2009-08-03 6:36 PM

2009-08-04 8:09 PM
in reply to: #2325305

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
Subject: RE: Getting cold during swims
Wow...so nobody else has this problem? I guess that means I just need to HTFU then, huh?
2009-08-07 8:43 AM
in reply to: #2328390

I've been having similar problems swimming in Lake Michigan at Ohio Street in Chicago. I've been swimming there several years now without a wetsuit and never had a problem with water temps above 65. I'm a little thinner than I have been in years past, but I think it has more to do with the unusually cool air temperatures. While I'm swimming I'm warm because I'm swimming and on a hot day I get out and the air temperature immediately warms me up so I don't start shivering. That's not happening this summer. Whatever the case the ambulance took me to the emergency room after my last open water swim so now I feel obligated to wear a wetsuit. You shouldn't take this issue lightly, one of the first symptoms of hypothermia is jaw tightening, my neck was tightening up as well. As you can imagine, this does not give strong feelings of confidence when you're swimming in open water.
2009-08-07 4:52 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
Hi and thanks for responding!  Yes, I could certainly see where swimming in Lake Michigan without a wetsuit would present problems for some "cold-intolerant" people...like you and I.  I haven't had the displeasure of swimming in the lake this summer, and knowing my intolerance for cold water...I doubt that I would.  These issues that are happening to me, are taking place in an outdoor pool.  If I'm having problems in a pool, I can only imagine the problems I'd have swimming in Lake Michigan.   I did swim in the lake once last summer (with a wetsuit) and it was chilly, but fine.  I couldn't imagine doing it without a wetsuit, though.  I would be covered in goosebumps from head-to-toe, instantly.  Plus, I'd be shaking and shivering so much...that it would literally be difficult for me to get a sentence out.   Thanks for mentioning the "jaw-tightening" thing...I will certainly make a mental note of that the next time I'm having one of these cold episodes in the pool. 
2009-08-18 9:19 AM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
Hi Linda,
Just saw this thread.  I too get cold during swims, and I'm in an indoor heated pool, so go figure. I guess I just get cold easily. When I swim in the lake, not only do I have on a wet suit, I have on booties and a neoprene cap.  Also, I'm the one wearing a long sleeve running shirt when everyone else has on sleeveless.  The flip side, at least for me, is that I can tolerate the heat. Running when it's 90 degrees...no problem.  So,  I can't give you any insight, but thought I'd let you know you're not alone.

Susie
2009-09-01 2:24 PM

I am new to this forum and triathlon training.  I am hypothyroid taking Levothyroxin too and get cold swimming in San Diego Bay or Ocean water 65-72 degrees. I had to buy a wet suit and still get a little cold with the wet suit. I try to run a little before swimming to prevent muscle cramps and getting cold in the water.  I heard if your T3 is low, even if TSH is in the proper range you will still have hypothyroid symptoms.  I need to get tested again to verify.  I get very frustrated getting cold because I start to hyperventillate and cannot control my breathing.

Cal

2009-09-01 3:36 PM

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
You could also look into wearing a second skin type shirt or sleeveless wetsuit top for pool swims. When I taught scuba I was always cold in the pool so wore one daily. With the sleeveless you shouldn't have any mobility issues and they are pretty inexpensive. I also didn't have any problems with the durability in chlorine.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting cold during swims Rss Feed