General Discussion Triathlon Talk » LA or FL70.3 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-03 9:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wahiawa, Hawaii.... but now in Florence, KY..
Subject: LA or FL70.3
I'm looking to sign up for my first HIM.  I was thinking of either the Florida or Louisianna 70.3 because they are close to home.  I've been doing this since March of this year and have done 3 Sprints, 1 Du and will hope to get atleast 2 Oly's and a Half marathon by then.  I was wondering which race was easier, terrain and weather wise and which was funner?  has anyone out there done both?  is the LA70.3 wetsuit legal?  and will i be jumping up too soon?  any input would be greatly appreciated.

Boom

2009-08-04 2:21 PM
in reply to: #2325647

Veteran
Vicksburg
Subject: RE: LA or FL70.3
Look into Gulf Coast Triathlon http://www.gulfcoasttri.com/

I haven't heard anything negative about it besides it can be hot.  IMNO70.3 had some issues with no fluids on the bike for the later waves.
2009-08-04 9:50 PM
in reply to: #2327582

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia
Subject: RE: LA or FL70.3
Gulf Roast is a good one (was my first HIM, 2nd triathlon ever).  It is flat, but can be extremely hot and a little windy.  Also, it is an ocean swim so make sure you are comfortable with that as it was pretty choppy the year I did it (08), salt water, a little harder sighting (at least going out) etc etc.  Gulf Roast is also about half the price of NO or Fla 70.3.

New Orleans was also hot and windy last year.  I can guarantee that they don't drop the ball again on the fluid deal (and some other small mistakes).  I think that they will learn greatly from those.  The finish line through Jackson Square was very Tour de France like and was probably better than my full IM finish as the turn onto Decatur is just packed with people shoulder to shoulder cheering you to the finish. Being from Baton Rouge, I had very low expectations for the New Orleans race, but was shocked at how well they pulled it off.  Completely closing the bike and run course from traffic was unbelievable and I still don't know how they pulled it off.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » LA or FL70.3 Rss Feed