General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clipless Pedal Help! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-03 11:26 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Clipless Pedal Help!
Just got some put on my Giant OCR C3.  They look like eggbeaters and seems tough to get into, but easy to get out of.

I have a mini Sprint this w/e and my first OLY in 4 weeks and I wondered if it would be better to put on my bike shoes in
T1 and clip in, or have the shoes already attached and slide them on while starting my ride. 

What do you think?

2009-08-03 11:39 PM
in reply to: #2325828

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Subject: RE: Clipless Pedal Help!
"Slipping into them" while they're attached is WAAAAYYYYYY harder than it looks (at least for me). 
Mount up with your shoes on.
2009-08-03 11:58 PM

User image

Expert
How long will it take until I am actually good at this skill.
2009-08-04 8:47 AM

Extreme Veteran
West Windsor, NJ
I would master the dismount first, then the mount. The dismount is hard, but mastering the mount is much harder. So start with the easier one. And I would not try to master this in four weeks. I do this on every ride to master it, and its taken me quite a while to be able to do it with enough proficiency and confidence to do it in a race. And unless you are vying for the podium, its not going to make that much of a difference in your time/place, etc. Plus, there are a number of things that can go wrong and you dont want to be stressing about it. Just my HO.
2009-08-04 8:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Warwick, Rhode Island

I made a concerted effort to learn how to do the flying mount/dismount for this season. I agree that you should learn the dismount first. Start out with slower speeds, learn how to control the bike and the moves that are needed to get you in the dismount position. The mount is a bit harder and definately takes more practice. I went to a church parking lot to learn...that way when I crack my face open they can give me my last rites right on site before transporting me to the hospital! Learing both skills is not impossible...it just takes a lot of practice to do it efficently and safely (like not crashing into anyone at the mount line). When you get the hang of it do it every time you get on your bike so it becomes second nature.

If you take into consdieration all of the small tricks there are about adding speed to your race (mount/dismount, sockless running shoes, wetsuit selection, aero helmet, wheelset, etc...) the time starts to add up. When done properly this is one of the things that will save a bit off of your time coming in and out of transition for sure.

Good luck!

2009-08-04 8:58 AM

If your flying mounts look anything like this kid's I say go for it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF-fGoikToE

If when you do it, it looks more like this I say just put your shoes on first.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62oFoUJQ-x8&feature=related

2009-08-04 8:26 PM

User image

Expert
Fountain Hills, AZ
I am still riding Mountain SPD on my roadie and my trail bike. Many inexperienced bikers have their pedal mechanisms set too tight. I am not familiar with egg beaters, but Shimano SPD have a set screw to loosen tension, and I dial back until I can  get out every time easy. Really important on my mountain bike for Xterra racing, but also on the road. Heck, any further (ie looser) and I think the set screw comes loose, but I have NEVER pulled out of a pedal when I was cranking, and now I can get out when I need to.

Edited by jsselle 2009-08-04 8:27 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Clipless Pedal Help! Rss Feed