Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-08-04 10:29 AM
in reply to: #2325981

User image

Master
Subject: RE: I cannot Flip Turn
cusetri - 2009-08-04 5:11 AM
I dont either....was thinking of putting that on my off-season to do list...along with learning the 'fly.....

There is a reason fly is usually the last stroke people learn.

Start doing ab and back work.

2009-08-04 10:36 AM
in reply to: #2325973

User image

Extreme Veteran
Buford GA
I love doing flip turns, I know that overall they won't help me in the first sprint I am signed up for but I have a competitive swimming background and i can't help it. I can't do an open turn in freestyle, doing a flip turn is second nature, I can't even do an open turn backstroke.

I think its worth learning and practicing if you plan to train i the pool a lot it makes you more efficient overall in the pool. Plus I find its a good time to blurt out curses or ouch if you are going hard
2009-08-04 10:50 AM
in reply to: #2326152

User image

Sensei
Sin City
axteraa - 2009-08-04 5:39 AM
docswim24 - 2009-08-04 9:24 AM
rbr651 - 2009-08-04 7:15 AM I used to swim in high school which was a little longer than a couple years ago....anyway I've been swimming as an adult for the last couple years during my tri training.  Out of curiosity I timed my self last week on 25m repeats with flip turn vs no flip turn.  I saved an average of 3 seconds per length using a flip turn.  However the energy spent on lengths with flip turn was quite a bit more compared to the lengths without.  So 3 seconds to me isn't worth it, I can make that time up on the bike.
If you are expending more energy with flip turns then you are not effecient at flip turns.

Agreed. 

and yes, Dan's pool is weird.  Smile  However, 3' is plenty deep enough to do a flip turn.

I agree.  One of my pools has 3' on the short end and I can do them and I'm also 6'7".  However, I would get a little hesatant if it was much shallower than that.  No need to scape a forehead on the bottom of the pool.
2009-08-04 10:52 AM
in reply to: #2326228

User image

Sensei
Sin City
bryancd - 2009-08-04 6:11 AM I really wouldn't get too hung up on trying to somehow simulate OWS in the pool. Pushing off from the wall doing an open turn or from a flip turn provides you a great opportunity to practice and really feel good, streamlined body position on the glide. I would suggest that has more benefit than avoiding it to somehow make it more OWS..which it really doesn't.

x2
2009-08-04 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2326796

User image

Extreme Veteran
Buford GA
Aikidoman - 2009-08-04 11:50 AM
axteraa - 2009-08-04 5:39 AM
docswim24 - 2009-08-04 9:24 AM
rbr651 - 2009-08-04 7:15 AM I used to swim in high school which was a little longer than a couple years ago....anyway I've been swimming as an adult for the last couple years during my tri training.  Out of curiosity I timed my self last week on 25m repeats with flip turn vs no flip turn.  I saved an average of 3 seconds per length using a flip turn.  However the energy spent on lengths with flip turn was quite a bit more compared to the lengths without.  So 3 seconds to me isn't worth it, I can make that time up on the bike.
If you are expending more energy with flip turns then you are not effecient at flip turns.

Agreed. 

and yes, Dan's pool is weird.  Smile  However, 3' is plenty deep enough to do a flip turn.

I agree.  One of my pools has 3' on the short end and I can do them and I'm also 6'7".  However, I would get a little hesatant if it was much shallower than that.  No need to scape a forehead on the bottom of the pool.

the summer pool I swam at when I Was a kid was barely over 3ft to the deck and then the gutter whicht the later level had to be below was 4-6" below that so it was 2.5ft deep on a good day.. That was scary as you got to be 16-18 and full height.. scrapped my face on the bottom on more than one occasion.
2009-08-04 11:12 AM
in reply to: #2326801

User image

Aikidoman - 2009-08-04 8:52 AM
bryancd - 2009-08-04 6:11 AM I really wouldn't get too hung up on trying to somehow simulate OWS in the pool. Pushing off from the wall doing an open turn or from a flip turn provides you a great opportunity to practice and really feel good, streamlined body position on the glide. I would suggest that has more benefit than avoiding it to somehow make it more OWS..which it really doesn't.

x2

x 1,000,000  the only way to simulate OWS is in... open water....    Do 'em, don't do 'em, doesn't really matter.   But in my opinion only doing them will make you a better swimmer and thus, a better triathlete

2009-08-04 11:51 AM
in reply to: #2326899

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canton, MI. via Detroit
ChrisM - 2009-08-04 11:12 AM
Aikidoman - 2009-08-04 8:52 AM

x2

x 1,000,000  the only way to simulate OWS is in... open water....    Do 'em, don't do 'em, doesn't really matter.   But in my opinion only doing them will make you a better swimmer and thus, a better triathlete

I swim in the pool 4-5 times a week. I can only OWS a few months a year. and even then it's a bit of a drive. Once a week in the lake is a lot for me.  (usually less). At least trying to practice some open water techniques in the pool seems to make sense to me. Out of about a mile workout. (70 turns). I would say about 30 are flips. about 10 are open. about 5 are missed on pourpose so I can work on sighting, goggles, orientation, catching my breath, or any other unforseen open water incident that may come up. The rest are non-turns. (resting)
This all varies depending on if I'm going for distance or sprints.
2009-08-04 12:11 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
IMHO, the reason to learn flip turns as a triathlete is the same reason as learning good bike handling skills such as riding in a pace line will make you a better cyclist.  Neither of these skills is used in most triathlons, but they make us better, well-rounded swimmers and cyclists and give us confidence, which makes us better triathletes.

2009-08-04 12:22 PM
in reply to: #2327151

User image

Sensei
Sin City
The whole "it's not done in a race so I'm not going to do it" makes no sense to me whatsoever...

I do running drills for training (high knees, quick feet, butt kick, etc)
I lift weights
I do stretching excersices
I do back and breast stroke in the pool
I use fins and pull bouy and paddles in the pool
I go to spin class and use my trainer
I run on the treadmill
I MTN bike
I go on group rides

I don't do ANY of these things in a race, but by doing them, I become a better triathlete in the end.
2009-08-04 12:27 PM
in reply to: #2327186

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Aikidoman - 2009-08-04 12:22 PM

The whole "it's not done in a race so I'm not going to do it" makes no sense to me whatsoever

Well, here's the deal... most people just starting in this sport can barely swim. The last thing they need to be working on is flip turning. They need to learn how to swim first.

Once they get good form down, then they should look at doing flip turns.

When I learned how to flip turn, we would get in a line at the end of the pool, swim to the wall and do a flip turn. Not swim the entire length of the pool. We just flip turn drills.

As adult triathletes... most would rather spend that time actually swimming... vs. doing flip turn drills.

So if someone doesn't want to spend the time and energy learning how to do flip turns, it's not going to make or break them in a race. I do flip turns and shoot, I can't even do them in pool swims.

2009-08-04 12:45 PM
in reply to: #2327201

User image

Sensei
Sin City
KSH - 2009-08-04 10:27 AM
Aikidoman - 2009-08-04 12:22 PM The whole "it's not done in a race so I'm not going to do it" makes no sense to me whatsoever
Well, here's the deal... most people just starting in this sport can barely swim. The last thing they need to be working on is flip turning. They need to learn how to swim first. Once they get good form down, then they should look at doing flip turns. When I learned how to flip turn, we would get in a line at the end of the pool, swim to the wall and do a flip turn. Not swim the entire length of the pool. We just flip turn drills. As adult triathletes... most would rather spend that time actually swimming... vs. doing flip turn drills. So if someone doesn't want to spend the time and energy learning how to do flip turns, it's not going to make or break them in a race. I do flip turns and shoot, I can't even do them in pool swims.

I never said they had to be learned on the first day...  Of COURSE you need to learn to walk before you can run.

There are a lot of details to s/b/r that need to be learned/refined but of course not the first day out.

I think that most of the people that posted in this thread are not just starting out - otherwise they probably wouldn't even be thinking about flip turns at this junture.  I am responding to those who sound like capable/accomplished swimmers that choose to not expand their knowlege/ability with the reason "it's not done in a race".

In terms of 'make or break' in a race?  I agree 100%

I don't think practicing transitions will make or break either in of itself in a race.
Or weight lifting
Or running drills
Or back stroke
Or breast stroke
Or practice at sighting.
Or cadence drills on the bike
Or one legged peddling.

But all added up, all these little parts, makes someone a faster athelete.

Besides, where is the simple 'joy' of leaning something new?  Maybe it's just me, but I think the fundemental aspect of life is to learn, expand, grow.  I strive to learn one new thing every day.

I still play around with trying to self teach the butterfly stoke after my main workout is over.  Will I ever use that in competition or even recreationally?  Probably not.  But is it fun to try to learn something new?  Yes.  Will it make make or break my race times?  Nope

2009-08-04 1:12 PM
in reply to: #2327201

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
KSH - 2009-08-04 12:27 PM

Aikidoman - 2009-08-04 12:22 PM

The whole "it's not done in a race so I'm not going to do it" makes no sense to me whatsoever

Well, here's the deal... most people just starting in this sport can barely swim. The last thing they need to be working on is flip turning. They need to learn how to swim first.

Once they get good form down, then they should look at doing flip turns.

When I learned how to flip turn, we would get in a line at the end of the pool, swim to the wall and do a flip turn. Not swim the entire length of the pool. We just flip turn drills.

As adult triathletes... most would rather spend that time actually swimming... vs. doing flip turn drills.

So if someone doesn't want to spend the time and energy learning how to do flip turns, it's not going to make or break them in a race. I do flip turns and shoot, I can't even do them in pool swims.

I think what he is refering to is some comments made arly in the post regarding intentionaly NOT doing flip turns is a vain attempt to somehow simulate OWS. had nothing to do with priority of training.
2009-08-04 1:15 PM

User image

Not sure we should be taking flip turn advice from 'kido anyway..... 
2009-08-04 3:57 PM
in reply to: #2327370

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
ChrisM - 2009-08-04 2:15 PM Not sure we should be taking flip turn advice from 'kido anyway..... 

Even less so me.  Still, as a new swimmer, I'll say that I feel that learning to flip turn has helped ME -- I'm not saying that it will or will not will help others.  And it took at most about 30 minutes out of my swim training time.  (After 1/2 hour getting the basics, I practiced them by just attempting them instead of open turns, so I was still doing my normal swim workout, except with a simulated drowning at each wall.  Laughing )
2009-08-04 9:22 PM
in reply to: #2326015

User image

Veteran
The Beautiful San Fernando Valley in Sunny L.A.

rbr651 - 2009-08-04 4:15 AM I used to swim in high school which was a little longer than a couple years ago....anyway I've been swimming as an adult for the last couple years during my tri training.  Out of curiosity I timed my self last week on 25m repeats with flip turn vs no flip turn.  I saved an average of 3 seconds per length using a flip turn.  However the energy spent on lengths with flip turn was quite a bit more compared to the lengths without.  So 3 seconds to me isn't worth it, I can make that time up on the bike.

I hear ya. Same situation as me. My lungs aren't up to it yet and I weigh a lot more than I did in high school so throwing my legs over takes a lot more effort than it used to. I can wait until they/I get smaller and my lungs can better handle it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I cannot Flip Turn Rss Feed  

of 3