General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Considering first road race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-04 12:28 PM

User image

Master
Subject: Considering first road race

Ok... all you bike racers out there. I am about 90% sure that tonight, I am going to the Tuesday night series that happens around here. It is a 28 mile road race with 4 separate packs that start 5 minutes apart.

I have never road raced before but my bike handling skills are pretty solid. My thought this first time out is to kind of hang toward the back of the "C" pack and enjoy the ride.

Any input or advice from you experienced racers is appreciated.

2009-08-04 2:11 PM
in reply to: #2327205

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston
Subject: RE: Considering first road race
i am interested in any info on this as well!
2009-08-04 2:23 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
I'm not that experienced (still a cat 5), but I have been in a few road races and crits this year.  I'll offer a little advice.

Don't hang on in the back of the pack if you want to do well.  Especially if the course has many turns and/or hills.  The back is going to be the place where you will have to deal with everybody braking in front of you, or slowing due to the hill.  This means you will be forced to slow down, then hammer to catch back up.  By the time you get to the line for the sprint, you'll be exhausted!

Get there early, and warm up.  When the race starts, get up to the front.  You want to be in the front 1/3 of the pack in order to avoid the "slinky" effect (described above).  If you're racing with 5's, the pack will always reel in the breakaway.  Cat 5's are always too anxious and excited to let somebody go solo.

Don't get frustrated if the pace is too slow or too fast.  You're forced to work with the group for the most part.  But if you want to push, get on up to the front and give a nice pull.  You will be respected for it, which in longer races can often be very beneficial if you don't have teammates.

If you make it to the last mile in the lead group, fight for position.  Position is more important than ability!  This is where I always screw up.  Chances are everybody with you can sprint at about the same level.  So if you can find yourself around position 4-7, you'll get great assistance from the sling-shot the paceline will offer.

Most of all, have FUN!  Leave a post to let us know how it went.  Good luck!
2009-08-04 4:38 PM
in reply to: #2327590

jcbolton - 2009-08-04 2:23 PM

"Don't get frustrated if the pace is too slow or too fast.  You're forced to work with the group for the most part.  But if you want to push, get on up to the front and give a nice pull.  You will be respected for it, which in longer races can often be very beneficial if you don't have teammates. "

I don't know about this"you will be respected for it" idea. From my limited experience in road races they will let the "rookie" pull all day and then drop him on the next hill like a hot potato. So watch taking long pulls. You have no friends in the peleton and you will not make any in the race.

Unlike biking in a triathlon where you set your on pace, pushing where and when you want and recovering as needed, everything is dictated by the pack. The objective of the pack is get rid of as much of the competion along the way as possible so there are fewer to contest the final sprint. Hanging with the pack is essential, just a little separation means losing the benefit of the draft and you have to put that much more energy to get back on and that will be draining. So average speed means nothing, being able to stay with the pack is everything. It takes some getting used to and most likely you will get dropped a few times and end up riding in alone like you were in a triathlon or at least that was my experience.

So bike racing is not for the faint of heart and it will most likely be a humbling experience until you get the hang of it. Good Luck and hang tough.

Edited by browncd 2009-08-04 4:40 PM
2009-08-04 8:06 PM

Let us know how you made out.  I have been entertaining the idea of doing some bike racing as well.
2009-08-04 9:38 PM

User image

Master
Connecticut
Since I assume you've already raced by now, I'll refrain from adding anything to the advice.

Rather, I just wanted to ask...  How did it go?

2009-08-05 12:56 AM

User image

Master

The advice about not being in the back of the pack, and it's effect is absolutely spot on true.

When we rolled out of the staging area I was a little apprehensive and just latched on the back. When the group got to a little roller (before the start) I had to break, then had to hammer to get back on the back wheel. Next roller.... same thing. First corner..... same as first two rollers. We hit the start finish line and there was an immediate acceleration at the front.... then a corner less than 100 yards from the start finish. Hammered again and got on the back. We were only 4 miles in (2 from the start line) and I was already feeling it from the constant breaking and acceleration. I was quickly dropped from that point.

The hills in tonights race were not very condusive to a 200 pound rider. There was a mile long climb that averaged 7%.... that we road TWICE. Once at mile 6 the next at mile 20.

If I am going to keep doing this I need A LOT of miles without my aero bars. My wrists, elbows and back are not used to riding in that position.

It was a very fun evening and I fully intend to do more in the future.

Learned a TON tonight!

2009-08-05 5:53 AM

User image

Master
Connecticut
Awesome that you got out and tried it!

There is a bit of a knack to positioning and energy conservation in races, so it will get progressively easier as you start to incorporate what you learn each time.

But yeah, move right up there next time in to the top third. The back is the worst place to be.
2009-08-05 8:13 AM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Great job getting out there and enjoying a different side of cycling!  I find road racing and time-trialing complete opposites.  Road racing always seems to be "hammer hard", "recover hard".  Not exactly conducive to triathletes who spend all their time at a steady state.  I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it, and even better would like to try it some more.

I don't know about this"you will be respected for it" idea. From my limited experience in road races they will let the "rookie" pull all day and then drop him on the next hill like a hot potato. So watch taking long pulls. You have no friends in the peleton and you will not make any in the race.

Eh, I understand where you're coming from.  I think "survival of the fittest" definitely kicks in early, making sure to drop those who can't hang on.  I base this off of jumping up front and giving a really hard pull.  A hard enough pull to let the group know you can really ride.  I've seen guys use this idea to form relationships with other strong riders.  When other riders see that you're strong, they sometimes will discuss attempting to attack together.  Huge benefit if it can work, especially if you're not a good sprinter.  I've only seen this happen when racing with 4's though.  I have been left up front where they wouldn't let me off also, which can really suck.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Considering first road race Rss Feed