General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Horizontal in water: Am I doing this right or "cheating"? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-04 10:30 PM

User image

Regular
Carrollton, TX
Subject: Horizontal in water: Am I doing this right or "cheating"?
So for the past couple of months I've been struggling to keep a horizontal position in the water.  I've tried everything to correct this including keeping my head down, trying to look back at my feet, etc.

Today I was messing around in the pool, and I noticed that I could keep a horizontal position by pulling my feet just barely out of the water while kicking.  If I do this, I can keep myself in a horizontal position with a VERY light kick...this keeps me from getting tired.

So my questions is, am I doing this correctly or is this just a cheat?  I'm not bending my knees to make my feet come out of the water, I'm bringing my entire leg up further and can just BARELY feel the top of my foot touch the top of the water.  Are my feet not supposed to come out of the water?

2009-08-04 11:12 PM
in reply to: #2328657

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Horizontal in water: Am I doing this right or "cheating"?
I am no expert, but it sounds to me like you are doing it just right.  If you aren't bending your knees, then you must be pushing your chest down to get your feet to just break the surface.  What I've read and been told is that you want your heels to just break the surface when you kick.
2009-08-04 11:15 PM
in reply to: #2328657

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Horizontal in water: Am I doing this right or "cheating"?
Sounds right to me.  Sounds like a breakthrough.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Horizontal in water: Am I doing this right or "cheating"? Rss Feed