General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » complete newbie Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-09 7:28 PM

New user

Vermont
Subject: complete newbie
Well I'm introducing myself. I've registered in my FIRST sprint triathlon for July 31st in Mass. I live in Vermont. I'm completely new at this and completely overwhelmed. At first I was completely excited now I feel the wind has left my sails. Not sure what to do with working out, etc. I've entered with 2 other newbies but they are sooo competitive it's turning me off. I just want to finish and be an example for my son and feel good. Any help, suggestions anything. Don't even have a workout plan. But I'm not giving up. I can run minimally, swim but don't know how to pace myself and just started biking up here (very mountainy). Anyway thanks for listening. Pamvt

2005-05-09 8:04 PM
in reply to: #155118

Subject: RE: complete newbie
Don't get discouraged and don't give up. Being with really competitive people can sometimes be annoying. I've got a couple of friends like that - love them to death but can't train with them often. I go with them only when I feel like pushing myself.

Have you looked at any of the programs on this site? I think you've got lots of time to get ready and your confidence will return as you progress on your chosen program.

Stick with it! Have fun and if you end up doing most of your training on your own it will give you time to think and enjoy the scenery, sensations, your thoughts, etc.

2005-05-09 10:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Roseville, California
Pam,
Hang with it. I am also planning my first sprint tri in July. I signed up with a tri training 101 group.There are 6 of us newbies and we have a great coach. You might look into finding something like that. You might try to find some local tri groups that have group training runs, rides, and swims. I'd also recommend the book, "training for a triathlon in just hrs per week". It is such a great inspirational book and will give you motivation to follow through with this and also provides good simple training programs. I signed up with my local swim club for some swim classes, you might check out the Y or a local club.
Pam
2005-05-10 2:53 AM

User image

Expert
Raleigh, NC
Hey...my first sprint is in July, I have been training for three weeks. I too am struggling to stay motivated. Be realistic...don't make a seven day training schedule that you know you won't stick to. Start out small...maybe one goos swim per week, one good bike per week and a couple of good runs per week. You will feel much better about yourself if you start slow. But it still is not easy...there is a reason why only a small percentage of people do triathlons...because it does take work and commitment.
2005-05-10 2:26 PM
in reply to: #155129

New user

Vermont
Can't thank you enough. Thanks for the support and I will not quit. Pamvt
2005-05-10 3:58 PM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas

Pam,

Whatever you do, STICK WITH IT and stay on this site.  I am also a complete newbie, and haven't even done my first tri yet.  I started my weight loss/fitness journey in January at 306 pounds.  I could barely walk one lap around the track.  I joined a local aquatic center, and could only swim 50 yards, if that.  If you search my old posts, you'll see that the first day at the aquatic center, it was so bad, I went outside and vomited in the paring lot.  I posted here, and immediately received a FLOOD of encouragement.  The people on this site are a Godsend.

I can now swim 1000 yds at a time, I'm running 3 miles, and I train 5-6 days a week. I've lost almost 70 lbs since January, and I am excited, yet still very nervous, about my first tri.  I tell you these things not to brag (because at 237 pounds I still have along way to go) but rather to let you know that if I can make progress, ANYONE can!!  It is overwhelming at first, but the neat thing is, we are all in this together!  You'll find all types here, including "elite" athletes that have done dozens of tris (even some ironmen), and they are all supportive and ready to encourage us rookies!

Keep your head up, and one more piece of advice...use the training logs.  They really help to keep you motivated as you see your progress!

Glad to have you here as part of our little community!

Brandt

2005-05-10 9:32 PM

New user

Western Massachusetts
Pam, I am in the same place. A friend got me into this but he is way more competitive then me, he an ironman too. Kind of leaves me in the dust. I stopped training with him and just go my own pace. I find the training logs help. Don't give up, just go your own pace.

Anthony
2005-05-10 10:16 PM
in reply to: #155618

User image

Veteran
Roseville, California
Brandt,
Your progress is impressive. Congrats on coming so far and staying the course! You are truly inspirational!
Pam (the other Pam!)
2005-05-10 10:20 PM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas
Thanks, other Pam! I'm having a blast getting in shape and throwing out all the "fat clothes" for the first time in 12 years.  And my kids love it because I am starting to act like a normal active adult instead of laying around tired all the time!  I still have quite a spare tire, but for the first time in years, I also see the light at the end of the tunnel.
2005-05-11 12:27 AM

User image

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
Pam, I am also a new triathlon participant. I just did my first tri two weeks ago. I didn't know how to swim and hadn't biked in over 10 years. It is totally worth it. I tried to swim at least 20 minutes every other day and a bike or run on the days inbetween. Anyways. don't worry about the competitiveness of the actual race. Many of the people I raced with were just there to finish and enjoy the sense of personal accomplishment. and you do feel great when you cross that finish line. So I say, be encouraged and keep training and enjoy the training time and enjoy your first tri. I suspect you will be hooked on them...because I just bought my first bike and am signed up to do more Tri's!

-Anant-
2005-05-11 1:33 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
Hi, Pamvt.

Another newbie chiming in.

I started because I saw my hubbie drop a bunch of weight and complete IMAZ with a huge smile on his face! I started about 3 weeks ago. I've never ran longer than 1/2 block, swam longer than 1 pool length (~25 yds) or been on a bike for about 20 years. I'm building endourance and working toward a sprint in October.

BT is a great source of encouragement and be sure to post your training log every day. You'll be surprised how much support and kind words of advice you'll get.

I'll be watching for you!

2005-05-11 7:34 PM

User image

Elite
Hurst, Texas
So happy cow must be the "better half" of mad cow??  Welcome, welcome, welcome!  Your husband is an inspriation to us here on the forums, and I'm sure you will be the same!  I'm a newbie as well, and looking forward to watching your progress!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » complete newbie Rss Feed