General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Deciding btwn Garmin 305 and 310xt have questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-05 5:36 PM

User image

West Chester, PA
Subject: Deciding btwn Garmin 305 and 310xt have questions
I'm a newbie triathlete, one sprint under my belt and 3 more schedule through Oct.  I have a forerunner 101 but it is very unreliable and bulky so I want to invest in a newer model but can't decide if the 310xt is worth the extra $250(can get the 305 for under $150).  Dang this sport is expensive!

First - I like the idea of being able to map out Routes in the 305.  Often I want to do a run through of a race route but can't look at the directions on paper and get a good ride in at the same time.  I'd love to pre-program a route in advance and glance down at the Garmin to direct me.  My understanding is that the 310xt doesn't offer the route feature at least that is what it says on the comparison chart.  The 310 only has waypoints/favorites/locations and this is different.  Is there some reason they did keep the routes feature in this new model?  Is there another easy way to do this function?

Is the heart rate strap the same on the 305 as it is on the 310?  Is i305 strap water proof (just the strap not the watch)?  In a race for example can I wear the strap in the water so I can use the 305 on bike and run with out having to put the strap on in T1?

The 305 says it is water resistant, I saw on a previous post that someone put another Garmin model under her swim cap and I think she was saying it would pick up a GPS signal.  Has anyone tried this with the 305?  If so does it transmit HR like my polar does?

Until a new Garmin model will at least record HR under water is it really worth spending $250 more on the 310xt, if so why am i missing something?  I do like the fact that it calculates calories based on HR for you but still not really worth the extra $250.

Help me decide please!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by PlaywithZoe 2009-08-05 5:37 PM

2009-08-05 5:46 PM
in reply to: #2330490

User image

Veteran
Millstadt, IL
Subject: RE: Deciding btwn Garmin 305 and 310xt have questions
no HR, biggest difference is the battery life, ant+ upload, power meter compatibility, and you can swim with it.  If you don't need any of that, go with the 305. 
2009-08-05 5:57 PM
in reply to: #2330505

User image

West Chester, PA
Don't think I'll be using a power meter anytime soon, and won't be training for anything more that sprints and maybe oly's maybe next year so I think the battery life will be ok.  Only question is, but I would like to swim with at least the HR monitor strap, so if the 305 allows that then yes I think that is probably the way to go.

Anyone know if the HR monitor strap that comes with the 305 can be worn in the water?
2009-08-05 5:59 PM

Master
They have the same strap at this time. I have worn mine underneath the wetsuit, it will be fine. I believe a new strap will come out but it's just supposed to be a soft strap. Note the 310 does not come with a strap.

As mentioned above, longer battery life, ANT+ compatability, and waterproof at the big differences. The other difference is the size, the 310 is a bit smaller (you have to see it in person to appreciate it).

Both units offer the "course" feature you describe. Creating a course is different than routing. Routing can take you from point a to b using street maps. Courses take you from point to point as the crow flies.

The 305 is great bang for the buck IMHO. Don't forget to get the bike mount/quick release kit as well optionally the cadence sensor.

Edited to add: the 305 battery is plenty for even an HIM.

Edited by merlin2375 2009-08-05 6:02 PM
2009-08-05 10:19 PM

User image

West Chester, PA
Thanks for your advice, I do want to be able to map routes from street maps for biking or even running so I do think I want that feature.  Maybe I'm not understanding something but I'm not sure mapping from point A to B as the crow flies would be much use?

Anyway you've confirmed for me that the 305 is a good option for me.  Thanks so much.
2009-08-06 7:33 AM

Master
Long story short is, you can create a course on street maps on your computer. The garmin can guide you waypoint-to-waypoint but it's as the crow flies (straight line) from waypoint to waypoint. The good news is when you do it from the computer, it will create hundreds of waypoints that are so close together (it's not just each turn that becomes a waypoint) that you can look at the "map" screen (really just you as a triangle and a line for the course) that will reflect the contours of the course. The garmin will also beep when you are supposed to turn.

In real life, I think it's pretty useful and as long as you understand that limitation you can use it instead of a queue sheet. You just have to understand what it can and can't do. If you miss a turn, it's not like a car gps, it won't street route you to you destination, again it will just point you in a straight line.

I think you've made a good call with the 305. That's what I have. I won't be compelled to go 310 until I get a power meter.

Hope I helped

Edited by merlin2375 2009-08-06 7:33 AM

2009-08-06 11:00 AM

I've been reading some reviews of the 310xt and it seems that quite a few people are annoyed by the 'deceptive advertising' that this unit would track your movement in the water--it does not. I was going to buy one until I found that out.Other than the facts it's waterproof is it worth twice the money? Probably not. The Ant+ feature is nice but really is only worthwhile if you have a power meter--another expensive 'toy' of questionable worth to your training. :-). I have one that I'm considering selling as it really hasn't been much of a 'value add' to my fitness or power on bike. My opinion: Garmin has really been 'flubbing it' lately with their 405 and now the 310xt products. The 405 had numerous 'sweat' problems and now the 310xt seems to be a rather expensive stopwatch in the water, and that's about it. Buy the 305. It's 1/2 price of the 310xt and does everything that you probably need. I think that I'll try sticking it under my swim cap and see how that works.
2009-08-06 11:20 AM
in reply to: #2331744

Master
scrummasterfrank - 2009-08-06 12:00 PM I've been reading some reviews of the 310xt and it seems that quite a few people are annoyed by the 'deceptive advertising' that this unit would track your movement in the water--it does not. I was going to buy one until I found that out.Other than the facts it's waterproof is it worth twice the money? Probably not. The Ant+ feature is nice but really is only worthwhile if you have a power meter--another expensive 'toy' of questionable worth to your training. :-). I have one that I'm considering selling as it really hasn't been much of a 'value add' to my fitness or power on bike. My opinion: Garmin has really been 'flubbing it' lately with their 405 and now the 310xt products. The 405 had numerous 'sweat' problems and now the 310xt seems to be a rather expensive stopwatch in the water, and that's about it. Buy the 305. It's 1/2 price of the 310xt and does everything that you probably need. I think that I'll try sticking it under my swim cap and see how that works.
I've never had a 405 so the sweat thing is not something I have experienced but I have read about it. It's unfortunate but I've never known Garmin not to make something right (I have a car garmin and they replaced it with no issue)

As far as the 305 + hr + gps + water, it's not that they are flubbing it. There are some technical issues that simply can't be overcome right now with how signals penetrate the water and how they transmit through water.

See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extremely_low_frequency
2009-08-06 11:32 AM

Noted..but I think that they need to revise their advertising a bit.   It's definitely misleading.

I have a Garmin car GPS and it works great.   But that's where they started as company.  With some of this 'bleeding edge' stuff (if you can really call it that--most of the technology is pretty old) they need to try to design a bit better.  And lower their prices.   I strongly suspect that the price of the 310xt will come down, just like the 305 did.  The 305 is a great value, btw, the cheapest I've ever seen it.  I saw an ad from Best Buy where its selling for $129.00!!
2009-08-06 11:45 AM

User image

Expert
I had the same issue, whether or not to get the 305 or 310.  After reading many people not happy with the water tracking and the off information it gives during the swim and Garmin releasing a statement stating there are issues with swimming with the watch due to the fact the watch can not pick up GPS while under water, made me pick the 305.

You wont be disappointed and for $129.99, its worth every penny.
2009-08-06 12:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN

I have the 310xt, got it way back in May and was NEVER under the impression that it did anything other than keep track of time and not flood in the water.  So not sure where I missed the deceptive advertising, but reading the adds, the FAQs, online descriptions... I clearly missed any indication to the fact that it would track heart rate and GPS location in the water. 

I replaced my 305 for two primary purposes... battery life (20 hours is real on this thing and I am certainly not a sub 10 hour IM participant!!!    ) and ANT+... simple, single pairing with power meter and everything on one unit.  The side benefit of having total time on one unit by wearing this during the swim was simply an additional benefit.  (though I wish they would give the option to turn off GPS during the swim... it messes with total milage on long races, so it becomes insignificant... I put screens to "lap" milage giving me total for bike or total for run, with one big single data element screen showing elapsed total time)

Some other benefits... Vibration alert... don't annoy everyone around you on the run with beeping.   Automatic syncing... I don't even bring it near my computer... sits in my bathroom, I pull up BT or Garmin connect and it just pulls the data down, no wires or anything.  (I wouldn't put these in "reason to buy", but in nice to have if you do!)

From Garmin's website...

Time Your Swim

The swim-proof Forerunner 310XT is waterproof to a depth of 50 meters, so you can wear it in the pool or the lake to time your swim. And its slim design and flexible wristband mean Forerunner is easy to wear in any conditions

Edited by ball6135 2009-08-06 12:27 PM

2009-08-06 1:17 PM
in reply to: #2332021

Intersting thoughts.  If the GPS is not accurate in the water then there should be a way to turn it off in the water and then on again when you hit land.  That's possible on the other Garmin wrist GPS units.  I can't imagine that Garmin took it away for the 310?  

That 'Time Your Swim' verbiage is what threw me.  As a triathlete I erroneously assumed (wanted to believe) that Garmin had figured out how make the thing work in the water other than just as a stopwatch.  
2009-08-06 2:30 PM
in reply to: #2332193

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN
scrummasterfrank - 2009-08-06 1:17 PM Intersting thoughts.  If the GPS is not accurate in the water then there should be a way to turn it off in the water and then on again when you hit land.  That's possible on the other Garmin wrist GPS units.  I can't imagine that Garmin took it away for the 310?  

That 'Time Your Swim' verbiage is what threw me.  As a triathlete I erroneously assumed (wanted to believe) that Garmin had figured out how make the thing work in the water other than just as a stopwatch.  

You can do it manually by setting it to indoor usage, but I suggested to them that they "automatically" have it set to that in multisport mode.  (and change multisport mode from "other" to "swim" for the swim)... we'll see what comes of anything like that!?
2009-08-06 2:41 PM
in reply to: #2332433

That makes complete sense.  Although I'm unsure if that can be done via software or firmware upgrades.
2009-08-11 4:19 PM
in reply to: #2332021

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, IL
I remember seeing an ad in Triathlete magazine where it showed a guy wearing the watch during his workout on the beach with a line behind him detailing his distances. If I remember correctly it went into the "line" went into the water and had a distance for his swim. This put me under the impression that it did track your swimming distances.
2009-08-11 4:39 PM

Yep, I remember that ad as well.

2009-08-11 5:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnetonka Beach, MN
Just pulled my back issue of Triathlete magazine... Swim only has a "Time" on it... I don't mean to over sell the point, but when I got mine back in May, I completely understood that the swim was only time, and had no impressions otherwise.

Edited by ball6135 2009-08-11 5:02 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Deciding btwn Garmin 305 and 310xt have questions Rss Feed