General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Entry level road or tri bike recommendations? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-05 5:44 PM

User image

West Chester, PA
Subject: Entry level road or tri bike recommendations?
I'm a brand spanking new triathlete, one sprint under my belt and 3 more scheduled thru Oct.  I have a 10 year old aluminum hybrid Bianchi which I like a lot, seems to go pretty fast I passed a lot of folks in my wave but it was a very non-competative wave (Buddy wave, all women tri).  I was gonna add some low end clip on aerobars because I find that position comfortable as well as some low end clipless pedals.

But, the local Performance Bike shop is have a blow out sale and offering 0% 6mo. financing so I thought maybe I should consider a road/tri bike - they have a few tri bikes (Fugi) for $1000 as well a great deals on road bikes.   But not even sure I should go for that at my level, will I look like a total wanna be coming in with a tri bike BOP or MOP?

Any advice?

2009-08-06 12:10 AM
in reply to: #2330502

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Entry level road or tri bike recommendations?

I'll start off with what everyone will tell you.  Make sure the bike fits you first before you buy it.  The shop should move the seat around for you and adjust the bars before you test ride it.  If the bike don't fit, it ain't worth....poop.

As for the wanna be part.  We're all wanna bees.  I wanna be faster, I wanna be stronger...  You'll see that you blow by people on a inexpensive bikes as often as you blow by people on $5K bikes.  The great thing about this sport is that there is not a lot of judging going on.   Buy what you want, be it the super delux tricked out pro model or the walmart special.  As long as your happy who cares.

2009-08-06 12:33 AM

Being new and going from a hybrid to a tri-bike is a big jump.  The position and handling will take some getting used to, no matter how good your fit.  I would honestly consider a road bike and add clip-on's at some point.  Time in the saddle is the most important thing starting out, so make sure you feel comfortable and safe before you buy. 

2009-08-06 9:57 AM

User image

Expert
Playwithzoe,

I also recently bought a bike from Performance in April. I bought a road bike and the salesman had several for me to try in different sizes. As far as an entry level bike goes I couldn't be more happy with my Fuji. I ended up getting the Fuji Ruboiux Pro with a mix of ultegra and 105 components. Whether you get a road or Tri bike is a personal preference, just make sure the bike fits and don't worry about looking like a wanna be.

J
2009-08-06 4:12 PM

User image

West Chester, PA
Thanks everyone.  I think I finish this season with low cost  clip on aerobars and clipless pedals on my hybrid to get used to them and then decide in the spring if I'm ready to upgrade bikes.
2009-08-07 12:50 PM
in reply to: #2332768

User image

Expert
NW NJ

I am in the same boat as you, new to the sport, 1 sprint down 2 more to go through October.  I used my MTB w/ clip on aero's for the race and got passed by people, but I also passed others on much nicer, speedier and way more expensive bikes than mine, felt great!  After having numerous discussions with veteran athletes, bike shop personell and my own research, I opted for a road bike over a tri.  Did the wanabe concern enter my mind? absolutely, but the cost and versitality played a factor as well.  I was planning to wait out this season on my MTB, but once I get something in my head there is no stopping me.  That and I found a used 09 Trek 2.3 for a steal that I'm picking up tonight and I won a pair of Shimano TR-51 shoes in a raffle at the NYC Tri!  Can't wait. 

This sport is getting quite expensive for me!

Good luck with your decision!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Entry level road or tri bike recommendations? Rss Feed