Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Anti-bike segment on Detroit radio station WCSX Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2009-08-10 12:58 PM
in reply to: #2331704

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
Subject: RE: Anti-bike segment on Detroit radio station WCSX
Quick update: This morning at 7:15AM, D&D did two segments where they clarified their position on the original podcast. They interviewed Paul Alman, a bicycle advocate from Washtenaw county. The D&D folks didn't apologize, but 'clarified'. The Washtenaw county guy didn't do as well as he could have, but did OK....he got better after a VERY slow start. His point on cyclists breaking the law was right on, they do a disservice to the rest of us folks.

The 2nd segment has some real nice eMails (not) from cyclists sent to the station. Hopefully they won't read any of yours,  because they're just as bad as the original show.  Not very nice stuff, doesn't reflect well on us as a group.

The fact that WCSX  devoted two segments to 'clarifying' and bringing and advocates on to talk about the subject, again, and not belittling cyclists in the process amounts to an apology in my book.  And I'd bet they don't do another segment on cycling, ever.

http://dd.wcsx.com/?author=2

2009-08-10 1:46 PM
in reply to: #2338985

User image

Master
Small Town
rkreuser - 2009-08-10 1:58 PM Quick update: This morning at 7:15AM, D&D did two segments where they clarified their position on the original podcast. They interviewed Paul Alman, a bicycle advocate from Washtenaw county. The D&D folks didn't apologize, but 'clarified'. The Washtenaw county guy didn't do as well as he could have, but did OK....he got better after a VERY slow start. His point on cyclists breaking the law was right on, they do a disservice to the rest of us folks.

The 2nd segment has some real nice eMails (not) from cyclists sent to the station. Hopefully they won't read any of yours,  because they're just as bad as the original show.  Not very nice stuff, doesn't reflect well on us as a group.

The fact that WCSX  devoted two segments to 'clarifying' and bringing and advocates on to talk about the subject, again, and not belittling cyclists in the process amounts to an apology in my book.  And I'd bet they don't do another segment on cycling, ever.

Nice.  The best part is that hopefully it will help all of us... be a smart and law abiding rider - know the laws in your state and city.

And then hopefully this will help to make drivers more aware of riders and to understand why a rider needs space, not aggravation or intimidation.
2009-08-10 2:54 PM
in reply to: #2338985

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

rkreuser - 2009-08-10 1:58 PM Quick update: This morning at 7:15AM, D&D did two segments where they clarified their position on the original podcast. They interviewed Paul Alman, a bicycle advocate from Washtenaw county. The D&D folks didn't apologize, but 'clarified'. The Washtenaw county guy didn't do as well as he could have, but did OK....he got better after a VERY slow start. His point on cyclists breaking the law was right on, they do a disservice to the rest of us folks.

Holy cow - that was brutal to listen to.  That Alman guy was a waste of airtime.

BTW - I guess it's still a point of view issue.  I didn't hear an apology in any form. None at all.

Of course, I never thought they had anything to apologize for.

2009-08-10 3:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson

Wow, some of those emails were pretty bad.  But honestly what did they expect people to do?  Not email the station? 

2009-08-10 3:30 PM
in reply to: #2339436

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

kmanus - 2009-08-10 4:19 PM

Wow, some of those emails were pretty bad.  But honestly what did they expect people to do?  Not email the station? 

Yes.

We came off as a bunch of whiny you-know-what's . . . in spandex.

2009-08-10 3:56 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

Not sure where or how anyone could take that for an apology. Those are the two most un-apologetic segments in radio history. Nothing to apologize for in the original, and not an ounce of apology forthcoming in these two.

The emails and over-reaction from the fringe of the cycling community is embarrassing to me as a cyclist.

2009-08-10 4:56 PM
in reply to: #2339578

User image

the bear - 2009-08-10 2:56 PM

Not sure where or how anyone could take that for an apology. Those are the two most un-apologetic segments in radio history. Nothing to apologize for in the original, and not an ounce of apology forthcoming in these two.

The emails and over-reaction from the fringe of the cycling community is embarrassing to me as a cyclist.

agreed. seems like it has been raised to "controversy" status because some of "us" cyclists had feelings hurt by the more egregious opinions, for example, regarding lycra with racing stripes. i am interested to know facts regarding the funding for construction, maintenance, and patrol of public (state and county) highways.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Anti-bike segment on Detroit radio station WCSX Rss Feed  

of 4