General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aurora Reservoir Open Water Swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-06 3:03 PM

Regular
Denver
Subject: Aurora Reservoir Open Water Swimming
How does the open water swimming work at Aurora Reservoir?  From old posts I found, it sounds like there is an area next to the swim beach that has swim lanes or something.  How is that set up?  Do you just park and go to the beach?

I'm doing the Rattlesnake sprint next weekend and have only done one open water swim (and that was during Tri the Creek).

2009-08-06 7:58 PM
in reply to: #2332522

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Subject: RE: Aurora Reservoir Open Water Swimming
Hey- you'll be glad you are doing your open water swim @ Aurora Res.  The water is clean and clear.  Sometimes it's a bit cold.  My friends and I train here- which is way different than race day.  Typically the racing is out and back in a triangle, I've gone clockwise and counter-clockwise in races there.  With Rattlesnake it's a pretty short course- out 300 yards and back in 300 yards. 

As far as parking and stuff, there are a ton of volunteers to help you find your way.  The transition areas are always behind the boat house, so just follow the masses   The Rattlesnake is a great race- remember to have fun!
2009-08-06 8:00 PM
in reply to: #2333168

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Subject: RE: Aurora Reservoir Open Water Swimming
Oh, and I forgot about training.  Outside the swim area they have some buoys in about 8 feet of water- they are spaced about 50 yards apart, so you can do open water "laps".  It's a great way to acclimate yourself to open water swimming.  There are always lots of triathletes out there- if you see me say hi!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aurora Reservoir Open Water Swimming Rss Feed