General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginning heart rate training - how to stay in the right zone! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-06 3:44 PM

Subject: Beginning heart rate training - how to stay in the right zone!
So I'm now the proud owner of a 310xt. I've calculated my heart rate training zones with one of the formulas from the site and it works out my long slow pace is 128 - 142.

I'm only just coming back into sport for the first time in months due to illness so am very unfit. I'm struggling to keep my heart rate below 142 when doing the long slow runs and am wondering how people started off training. I'm barely running at this pace so to slow down much further I'm going to be walking, and then my heart rate drops too low.

A friend told me I should go back to walking every time it goes about 142 for more than 30 seconds and keep repeating that but I thought it'd be better to just try to keep running but very very slowly so I keep the continuous action, if that makes sense.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

2009-08-07 8:07 AM
in reply to: #2332657

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
Subject: RE: Beginning heart rate training - how to stay in the right zone!

What's the protocol that you used to calculate your zones? If it's a protocol that generates a reasonably accurate HR/zone range, then yes your friend was correct and you should walk to stay in Zone 2.

If it's an age based formula, then it may be that you have an inaccurate HR/zone range.  If that's the case, my guess would be that you ought to do a field test to get a more accurate HR/zone range.

(disclaimer: I'm not a coach, others may have better information for you)

2009-08-07 12:11 PM

User image

Master
Folsom (Sacramento), CA
Lara C - 2009-08-06 1:44 PM So I'm now the proud owner of a 310xt. I've calculated my heart rate training zones with one of the formulas from the site and it works out my long slow pace is 128 - 142.

I'm only just coming back into sport for the first time in months due to illness so am very unfit. I'm struggling to keep my heart rate below 142 when doing the long slow runs and am wondering how people started off training. I'm barely running at this pace so to slow down much further I'm going to be walking, and then my heart rate drops too low.

A friend told me I should go back to walking every time it goes about 142 for more than 30 seconds and keep repeating that but I thought it'd be better to just try to keep running but very very slowly so I keep the continuous action, if that makes sense.

I asked this question a whole back ad here is roughly the answer I got:

Take off the heart rate strap and just run. Heart rate training really isnt that useful for people just starting or just getting back into running. Your heart rate just can't stay as low as the training zones say that it should, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. For your long slow runs, and possibly all runs to start with, run at a pace that would allow you to still hold a conversation. For me personally, that requires a run/walk mix.

I'm not a coach but this is most likely the general sentiment you are going to get from this website. I personally wear the heartrate monitor just to see how my heartrate is changing and I can see that over time my heartrate is lower for any given effort.
2009-08-08 4:46 AM
in reply to: #2333723

dontracy - 2009-08-07 2:07 PM

What's the protocol that you used to calculate your zones? If it's a protocol that generates a reasonably accurate HR/zone range, then yes your friend was correct and you should walk to stay in Zone 2.

If it's an age based formula, then it may be that you have an inaccurate HR/zone range.  If that's the case, my guess would be that you ought to do a field test to get a more accurate HR/zone range.

(disclaimer: I'm not a coach, others may have better information for you)

Thanks for replying. I used a formula that began with a K. Can't remember the name now!
2009-08-08 4:47 AM
in reply to: #2334382

uclamatt2007 - 2009-08-07 6:11 PM
Lara C - 2009-08-06 1:44 PM So I'm now the proud owner of a 310xt. I've calculated my heart rate training zones with one of the formulas from the site and it works out my long slow pace is 128 - 142.

I asked this question a whole back ad here is roughly the answer I got:

Take off the heart rate strap and just run. Heart rate training really isnt that useful for people just starting or just getting back into running. Your heart rate just can't stay as low as the training zones say that it should, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. For your long slow runs, and possibly all runs to start with, run at a pace that would allow you to still hold a conversation. For me personally, that requires a run/walk mix.

I'm not a coach but this is most likely the general sentiment you are going to get from this website. I personally wear the heartrate monitor just to see how my heartrate is changing and I can see that over time my heartrate is lower for any given effort.

Thanks for that. More food for thought!

So I guess to add to that question, for people that are becoming fit, what do they do to stay in the same training zone? Is it more sensible to run then walk for a bit or continue to run, albeit very slowly?

Edited by Lara C 2009-08-08 4:48 AM
2009-09-08 9:50 PM
in reply to: #2335476

User image

Thanks for replying. I used a formula that began with a K. Can't remember the name now!

It may have been Karvonen. If you look it up on Google there are a number of pages that discuss it and other HR calculations.

Wikipedia's is interesting, especially their statement:  No "acceptable" formula currently existed, (they used the term "acceptable" to mean acceptable for both prediction of V_{\mathrm{O}_2 max}, and prescription of exercise training HR ranges)"

I have also been looking at using HR in my training. Still learning...

2009-09-08 10:02 PM

User image

Expert
Burnaby, BC

When you used the Karvonen method, did you calculate or measure your maximum heartrate?  I suggest (insert caveats about seeing your doctor first and do not undertake this if you're about to keel over and die, etc, etc...) you test it.  Testing Max HR hurts.  Testing LT is a little easier, but still needs you to run all out for about 30 mins.  

Check here for testing protocol

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=633

and here for an overview of different methods.  Decent, but he got the brackets in the wrong place for the Leger formula

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=405

2009-09-08 10:22 PM
in reply to: #2395897

User image

daijoubu

Just a note to say thanks for the links to the articles here on BT. They are helpful and interesting.
2009-09-09 9:35 AM
in reply to: #2334382

User image

Master
Seattle, California
uclamatt2007 - 2009-08-07 10:11 AM

Take off the heart rate strap and just run. Heart rate training really isnt that useful for people just starting or just getting back into running.

x2

Basically your HR will be all over the place for a while.  Wait 2 months and then start using the monitor. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginning heart rate training - how to stay in the right zone! Rss Feed