General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Which heart-rate monitor to purchase? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-10 4:59 PM

New user

Subject: Which heart-rate monitor to purchase?
I've browsed through these forums and people seem to be pushing Timex. I've been looking at the Timex 59571 Bodylink and Polar S150 as my two main options.

I saw a link to an article about HRM's and saw that it recommended the Polar A5.

All of these are in the price range that I'm looking to spend. This will be my first HRM, don't know if that has any bearing on which to pick. Anyone have any reasons to pick one over another? If not I think it's just going to be a coinflip. Thanks for the help.

2005-05-10 5:24 PM
in reply to: #155675

Columbia, SC
Subject: RE: Which heart-rate monitor to purchase?
I have never owned a Timex so I can't really compare, but I love my Polar S120. In fact, tomorrow my Polar S625x should arrive. I am going to be putting my s120 on ebay. If you're at all interested in it, I'm happy to sell it to you. It is in good shape and just had the battery replaced by Polar. If not, no big deal. I love my Polar and rarely hear complaints so I don't think you can go wrong with any Polar you get.
2005-05-10 10:05 PM

User image

Regular
Adelaide, South Australia
Thanks for the tip, I was tossing up whether to get the s120 or go the s210, but 120 for me, why? I want the countdown... which for some reason isn't on the "better" HRM. (Prefer s625x but wife would kill me!!! )

How much do you want for it?

Edited by maddog62 2005-05-10 10:06 PM
2005-05-11 1:47 AM

New user

Recently came to the realization that the 150 doesn't have a backlight. Since I do most of my running at dusk I don't think that will work out. So now I'm looking at the Polar S210. Why is this so confusing? I've read so many reviews about difficult buttons on the polar, and other reviews about faulty HR reading from the timex. I'm going nuts!
2005-05-11 7:05 AM
in reply to: #155796

Columbia, SC
Well, the main reason I got the s120 was price b/c it was my first HRM and I wanted to see whether I liked it. I know what you mean about the price of the S625x -- I just recently got a very good deal on one or I wouldn't have been able to do it. Now, my wife is only modertately irritated. I'd be happy to sell the s120 and the strap for $120. That's all I have. I have no idea what I did with the manual b/c I used the online manual. Let me know what you think. I can also send you the paperwork about the recent battery replacement just so you'd have that.
2005-05-11 9:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
I have used both Polar and Timex products... and, I prefer the Timex but the Polar isn't a bad choice. Unfortunately, the comparison of the S150 to the BodyLink system is not a very good comparison... the BodyLink is much more advanced than the S150. A better comparison would be the BodyLink vs. the S700 series. When those are compared, I prefer the more universal useful and modularly upgradeable Timex (i.e., use it for rollerblading, running, biking, etc) over the Polar (limited to only the bike for speed and distance).

FWIW Joe Moya

BTW, I would not recommend the S600 series of the Polar. The last I looked they have a pretty fundamental design flaw that makes it VERY EASY to erase detailed data.

Edited by Joe M 2005-05-11 9:17 AM

2005-05-11 9:58 AM
in reply to: #155904

Columbia, SC
Well, I think to some degree it is personal preference and location. But the Polar isn't just useful for cycling -- it also provides pace and distance for running. And for me, I don't need something for rollerblading, etc. And I also run in a relatively heavily wooded area and others I know here have had great problems with the Bodylink system. So for me, the Polar is a better choice. But nothing is perfect. Just my 2 cents.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Which heart-rate monitor to purchase? Rss Feed