General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Steelhead 70.3 vs. Spirit of Racine HIM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-10 2:14 PM

New user

Cape Girardeau, MO
Subject: Steelhead 70.3 vs. Spirit of Racine HIM
I just was wondering which race, Steelhead 70.3 or Spirit of Racine HIM, is "better?"

A group of friends and I did SOR this year, primarily because of the cost difference (SOR is much cheaper, particularly if you register early). Now there's talk about what to do next year.

I was pleased, for the most part, with Spirit of Racine this year. The swim was a little short, which was disappointing and there was a lot of drafting on the bike course, but otherwise race day went smoothly and I have no complaints. The t-shirt/medal/finisher paraphenaelia left a little to be desired. The shirt given to HIM finishers was the same as the sprint finishers... not a big deal, but for your first half, you kind of want to boast a little bit (come on... you know you've been there!). I also would have liked the opportunity to purchase additional "finisher" apparel. I would do the race again though.

I don't have any experience with Steelhead, but have heard it's quite crowded.

I realize that both are probably very well run races, so there's really no saying which is better... but I'd love to hear people's opinions on both races.

Thanks!

2009-08-10 3:33 PM
in reply to: #2339242

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Steelhead 70.3 vs. Spirit of Racine HIM

I did Steelhead in 2006 and have volunteered the last 3 years.  It's a nice course.  Swim is point-to-point with the prevailing waves (so usually starts to the South).  Bike has some rolling hills out through the countryside.  This year, the wind came out of the Southwest, so the last 10-12 miles was straight into it, but that's unusual.  Temps are usually low to mid-80's.  Run changed from 2006. 

I think they've got a better handle on the crowds.  There have been a lot of complaints of drafting in the past, but not too many penalties this year, so either they're not enforcing the drafting or people are racing cleaner.  They've got the usual array of 70.3 logo wear, but I'm a cheapskate, so I haven't bought any of it.  It has gotten considerably more expensive (I think it was $160 in 2006 and almost $250 this year). 

Have you considered the Great Illini half and Rockman? 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Steelhead 70.3 vs. Spirit of Racine HIM Rss Feed