General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Taper Anxiety! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-11 1:03 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Subject: Taper Anxiety!
I'm following the 2x balanced sprint program with the olympic bike times substituted for a tri on the 21st (less than 2 weeks!)...

I guess like everyone else, I'm getting anxious that I didn't train hard enough, long enough, etct, etc...I'm sure it seems like you could always train more because this being my 2nd tri, I've trained about 300% more than for my first!

Anyway, I'm now in my 2 week taper and I'm having a hard time believing that at the end of the taper I'll be in tip top shape with enough energy for the tri!

Can you share any tapering experiences? I usually feel like crap on my rest week, will I feel like crap during the whole taper or will my energy pick up the 2nd week? What kind of nutritioin changes if any do you make?

Thanks for any input!

2005-05-11 1:30 PM
in reply to: #156040

User image

Master
South of SLC
Subject: RE: Taper Anxiety!
Are you tapering for two weeks for a sprint? Did I understand that correctly?

This topic comes up about every two weeks -- know that everyone goes through the same thing. You will be fine and perform well. It sounds like to me you have a mental hurdle to overcome and not a physical one.

Did something go wrong in your first race?

Before my races, I always visualize. For me, this is a very valuable tool. I picture myself completing a swim in my goal time with a smooth stroke. I visualize what I will do if I get kicked or hit, what I will do if my goggles get knocked off. I then picture a smooth transition where I feel energized and ready to ride my bike. I picture a great rolling start on my bike and strong, smooth pedal strokes. I envision sticking to my nutrition plan and feeling energized. I watch myself rolling into T2 and putting on my running shoes and starting a great run, dropping people left and right. I visualize the look of pride on my wife's face as I cross the finish line, a strong MOP competitor.

Does all of this happen according to plan? No. Does half of it happen? Sometimes.

It is too late to train, so don't stress those things you have no control over. Focus on a box that extends about two seconds ahead and behind you. Mentally force everything else out.

Mike
2005-05-11 1:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lufkin (East Texas)
I used to hate the taper and I avoided it for all races for the first 3 years. Then this year at IMAZ, I was sort of forced into my taper by family committments - especially during race week. I was anxious like you b/c I knew that early on I'd missed roughly 4 weeks (4 consecutive weeks, not a cumulative time total) of my 26 week training program and I wasn't sure I'd done "enough" in prior to the race.

I couldn't believe how fresh I felt once race day arrived. Could I have done better had I not missed those 4 weeks? Probably. But I do know that I wasn't going to significantly increase my fitness 2 weeks before the race either.

I am a HUGE believer in the taper peroid now. I've always known that it was the right thing to do, but just couldn't convince myself to do it. Not anymore! I will always follow the taper.

Believe in the work that you've done and follow your taper plan.
2005-05-11 1:35 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I'ts called a sprint, but it's closer to an Oly with a 1/2 m swim, 24 mile bike and 4 mile run. That's why I had to substitute the bike portion
2005-05-11 1:39 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
I agree with you. I always feel bad during the taper but it makes a big difference. Two years ago, I did my first Century bike ride and wasn't able to ride the week before as we were on vacation. I did do some light running but no riding. I couldn't believe how well I felt during the ride, much stronger than on my training rides. I would follow your plan and have fun during the race.
2005-05-11 1:40 PM
in reply to: #156055

User image

Master
South of SLC
Cool race! Good luck with it.

Mike

2005-05-11 1:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, IL
i have my first sprint tri this sunday and am feeling the taper anxiety as well. On Monday, i got in a hour bike ride (which ended up happening in the pouring rain due a poor weather forecast) and rested yesterday. my plans for the rest of the week are a swim tonight, a run on thursday, rest on friday, and a short brick on the course on saturday. i don't know if this is too much or too little but i guess i will see what happens...

deanna
2005-05-11 2:48 PM

User image

Expert
Colchester, CT

Let the madness begin.  Nothing like a taper to start playign tricks with your mind.  After doing tapers for a number of marathons, I still get those same feelings: am I losing fitness, what's that twinge, am I getting an injury, is that a sniffle I feel coming on, etc.  You definitely lose your fitness.  The taper allows your body to rest and store up extra energy.  The best tip I got for taper was to decrease the duration, but keep the intensity.  So shorter, similarly hard workouts.  I wouldn't change your nutrition at all, except in the last few days before the event.  The last few days, up your carbs, make sure you stay hydrated, and if you are expecting a warm race, you might want to increase your salt intake.  You may find in the last few days that you put on a few pounds, but that's only because your increasing your stores of glycogen which will also retain water.  But don't worry about it, you'll need it for race day.

Last words of advice...Trust Your Training.

Chris

2005-05-11 3:01 PM

User image

Veteran

From a fellow taper-phobic person, I'll share a combination of some advice I've been given and some experiences I've had.

1)  You have done your training.  It's 1-2 weeks before your race.  There is nothing you can do now to make yourself stronger or faster for this race.  All you can do is make sure that you're rested and ready to go.  Working out more now will only risk your being fatigued on race day.

2)  I always feel bloated and restless during my taper.  Short workouts make that feeling go away temporarily.  I've come to accept this feeling as my body being well rested, stored up with energy and ready to race!  The feeling always goes away as soon as the race starts.

3)  I load carbs and hydration for a few days before the race, the bloated feeling gets worse.

4)  Remember, your training is like money in the bank.  Have conficence in it; it will be there when you need it.  Spend it all on race day.  Have fun

2005-05-11 4:31 PM

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane
You are not going to be able to train enough in two weeks to make any (positive) difference in your race performance. The only thing you can accomplish by training hard in the two weeks leading up to an "A" race is to either hurt yourself, or arrive at the starting line too tired to race at your peak.
Someone else said it best.
"trust your training"
good luck. 
2005-05-14 9:46 AM

Yup, I do feel bad tapering, but you know what, experienced people know what they are doing, I guess I'll have to trust them. To be honest, I'm really enjoying the time I'm spending at home, It's a nice break. See you at the race.

Megan

2005-05-14 11:46 AM

User image

Expert
Utah
Tapering feels stinky.  But you have prepared for the race, so no fears, OK?  Good luck and have fun!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Taper Anxiety! Rss Feed