of 2

2009-08-13 10:36 AM
in reply to: #2342954

User image

Expert
Madison, MS
Subject: RE: Going all in vs. Finishing

KathyG - 2009-08-11 9:48 PM

Let's face it most of us that toe the line at an IM want to do our best. Clearly everyone's possible best time is vastly different. My secret goal is what someone's worst possible day might be...but so be it.

I think IM is more than the race and a finish time. Enjoy the training and journey to get to the starting line and the race itself. My finish time doesn't define me but how I handle each training session I go do my best and challenge myself helps me grow and learn both about the sport but about myself and that I savor.

If you set your sights on a time and fixate on that you will miss out the wonderful adventure you have before you.

Once you see it as a journey and a race is just a fun part of it but not an all or nothing, it becomes your lifestyle and is just who you are.

Keep it fun!

Nail on the head!

I would just add, for myself, I had 3 goals: First goal was to finish. IM was a complete unkown to me, and I simply had no idea how I would respond, physically and mentally, to the day. Second goal was a time goal. I knew I could finish under 14:30 hours, and I was really shooting for right around 14 hours or better. My third goal was my super secret, everything is absolutely perfect I can do it in xx:xx:xx. I met goal one, easily. I exceeded goal 2, and I wasn't that far off goal 3.

Plus, I had an absolutely great time doing it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Going all in vs. Finishing Rss Feed  

of 2