General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Too Scared going downhill... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-08-11 3:18 PM

User image

Regular
East San Francisco Bay Area
Subject: Too Scared going downhill...
I need some advice. I love being out my bike, I ride entirely by myself (but I am in the market for a group). I am just VERY nervous descending. I feather the brakes, and do not feel comfortable until I am peddling again. I have never really fallen. Toppled over once at a standstill but no real crash. I live in a pretty hilly area, good because I can climb, bad because I have to make it back down.

I admit it...I am just scared going downhill on the bike. How do i get over it?

2009-08-11 3:29 PM
in reply to: #2342207

User image

Elite
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: Too Scared going downhill...

Um, yeah, I'd call San Francisco a "hilly area"

I struggled with this, and it gets better with experience. You really just have to trust the bike. Unless you hit something or make a sudden over-correction, the bike will generally not fall over on it's own. And I'm not being a smartazz, I really just had to come to terms with that. Something else that helped was concentrating on relaxing my arms and grip.

And really, starting out a little cautious on descents is not an alltogether bad thing. Until you get more comfortable with your bike handling skills, your caution is helping to keep you safe, uninjured, and able to train.

And remember to say WEEEEE while going downhill--have fun!

2009-08-11 3:30 PM

User image

Champion
PA

Don't get over it.. just be glad you don't have the fear and tears that I experience when I look up and see that I have to go UP a hill.  Laughing

2009-08-11 3:30 PM

User image

Champion
PA

Don't get over it.. just be glad you don't have the fear and tears that I experience when I look up and see that I have to go UP a hill.  Laughing

2009-08-11 3:41 PM
in reply to: #2342239

User image

Veteran
zed707 - 2009-08-11 3:29 PM

And really, starting out a little cautious on descents is not an alltogether bad thing. Until you get more comfortable with your bike handling skills, your caution is helping to keep you safe, uninjured, and able to train.

+1
2009-08-11 3:51 PM

User image

Veteran

The answer is probably just keep practicing and you'll "get over it".

But there are a couple of other things.

What kind of bike do you have?   Are you positioned correctly, or are you too far forwards on the bike?  If you're too far forwards, you're always going to feel uncomfortable descending.

Even if you're correctly positioned, you might want to slide a bit back on your saddle while you're descending.  I find that makes me a bit more stable, and also less like to "topside" if I have to quickly hit the brakes.

2009-08-11 4:01 PM

Extreme Veteran
West Windsor, NJ
Also: be sure to look up/out a good distance. The faster you go, the further down the road you want to be looking. Most people focus too close to the front wheel. You want to give yourself enough time to react to obstacle/issues.

Practice, practice, practice. The more you do it, the more confidence you will get, the more comfortable you will feel.
2009-08-11 4:41 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Yeah, I understand where you are coming from. I've never really fallen either, but downhill is not my forte. Sometimes, I think I crashed badly in a previous life or something.

2009-08-11 4:54 PM

downhill has always been a bit scary for me as well.  I have to agree with others, only go as fast as you are comfortable and slowly that speed will get higher and higher.  It has for me, at least!
2009-08-11 4:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
I'm in San Francisco too, a new cyclist and was very, very afraid of downhills. The first time I rode from the Presidio down Lincoln along the water I almost cried. I'm still scared a bit on downhills but I am getting better. I agree with others, just give yourself time to get used to it and eventually your downhill speed will creep upwards. I'm still waiting to break 30 mph on a downhill but I know it will come eventually.
2009-08-11 4:59 PM

User image

Regular
Carrollton, TX
It helps if you dont have cross streets and traffic to worry about.  Are you on a tri bike or road bike?  On a tri bike I would get out of the aero position, on a road bike, I perfer to be in the drops, but I'm very aggressive on the road bike.  But as was stated, look out pretty far in front of you, always be aware of any potential hazards, and enjoy the ride....oh and know when you have to slow down (ie. a stop light, stop sign, turn, dead end, etc)

2009-08-11 5:18 PM

User image

Regular
East San Francisco Bay Area
Thanks all, I was riding my 'entry level road bike' for a while. Still felt awkward and scared. Got a P2 and love riding flats and going uphill, but cannot stay in the aero bars going downhill. Way too scared to be that far from the brakes.

I think I just need more time in the saddle, but its tough to face your fear.
I will try to look up the road more, and find places with less traffic and i'll have to remember to say "wheeeee!" in stead of... "oh s**t! oh s**t!"

2009-08-11 10:35 PM
in reply to: #2342495

User image

Master
Albany, NY
spbdds - 2009-08-11 6:18 PM

I think I just need more time in the saddle, but its tough to face your fear.
I will try to look up the road more, and find places with less traffic and i'll have to remember to say "wheeeee!" in stead of... "oh s**t! oh s**t!"

This is too funny because last week I was in a race with two good downhill sections. On the last one, at the end of the race, I WAS screaming "oh s**t! oh s**T!". I'm guessing I was only going about 30 mph (I tend to ride my brakes in these situations) but it felt way too fast for me.

I'm hoping that I will lose some of my fear of death as I practice more. For me though, I'm never going to win a race. And being scared "s**tless" detracts from the fun of the whole race for me. I'm not all that upset to be a little more conservative going downhill, and knowing that I'll probably live to see another race.
2009-08-11 10:45 PM

User image

Expert
Southern Pines, NC
spbdds - 2009-08-11 6:18 PM Thanks all, I was riding my 'entry level road bike' for a while. Still felt awkward and scared. Got a P2 and love riding flats and going uphill, but cannot stay in the aero bars going downhill. Way too scared to be that far from the brakes. I think I just need more time in the saddle, but its tough to face your fear. I will try to look up the road more, and find places with less traffic and i'll have to remember to say "wheeeee!" in stead of... "oh s**t! oh s**t!"

I had the same problem when getting accustomed to aerobars--I got very nervous descending because I THOUGHT I didn't have the same control I did. Honestly it just takes time, and staying in the aerobars on gradually longer/steeper descents.

The same 40mph downhill near my house that I couldn't do in the aerobars a year ago is now a routine part of my ride and I descend it with no problem at all.
2009-08-11 11:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Yeah, I'm scared, too, but I'm getting better. The women I ride with are fearless and gain 1/2 mile on me on the descents. That's fine...I have no problem catching up once we flatten out. 30 mph is my top downhill speed, and I'm good with that. I just need to know that I have some control should, say, a car pull in front of me. I do feel better when I can see for miles ahead and I know the road is going to flatten before I reach a stop sign.  I hear those San Francisco hills are pretty hairy....even in a car. Definitely stick your butt back on those super steep descents.
2009-08-12 12:18 AM

User image

Regular
State College, PA

i always feather the brakes on a road i dont know well.  nothing worse than trying to avoid a large pothole going 40.  and i'll tend to be more towards the center of the lane rather than right on the white line if theres no shoulder, i'm going fast enough that the cars, if any are behind me, can wait.  and at the bottom of the hill i always give them a big thank you wave. 

for roads that i've ridden on many times and i know where bumps are i'll bomb down it, and i love it. 

i think it just takes some time to get used to the bike, the hill and descending.

good luck and have fun!!

2009-08-12 1:03 AM

Regular
The trail capital of Canada
I can understand your fear, SF is a massively hilly place. You just need to spend more time in ther saddle. The biggest problem with road bikes and tri bikes is, honestly their brakes are crap!! Compared to the braking systems on mountain bikes (my main background) where we have been running linear and hydraulic V and Disc brakes, the power just isn't there in a road bike breaking system. You just have to think further down the road. The faster you go the farther aheada you hav to be looking and thinking! With time you'll get used to it.

The super skinny tires prob aren't helping with your sense of comfort either, that will also diminsh over time as you get more used to the world of high tire pressures and skinny tires!
2009-08-12 1:09 AM

New user
  "I feather the brakes, and do not feel comfortable until I am peddling again."

I used to refrain from peddling while going downhill, too.  One of the things that helped me become more comfortable on the descent was actually peddling lightly--"freewheeling" a bit--as the sensation of moving my legs actually kept me a little looser, contributed to my sense of balance, and helped me feel like I was "in control" (as opposed to feeling like a captive of my runaway bike as it tore away down a hill below me).

Edited by laughingman 2009-08-12 1:10 AM
2009-08-12 1:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Ladera Ranch CA
I find putting my pedals as 3 and 9 o'clock and using my knees to squeeze the top tube helps stabilize the bike. This makes descending feel more controlled. My arms are on the aerobars. This works if the hill is not too steep (5-9%). If it gets really steep (not that common in my area), I slide my butt off the back of the saddle and feather the brakes (mountain bike technique). I have a P2C and it puts the rider in a very far forward position. So on really steep hills you feel like you might go over the bars. Road bikes are a little better.

Bottom line, brake well before you think you need to and descend only as fast as YOU feel comfortable. Make small adjustments as you get faster. Don't think just because the person in front of you can descend that fast, you can too. That's a sure recipe for road rash.

Until then, be content that you'll just catch us on the next hill

Take care,

Ken
2009-08-12 5:52 AM
in reply to: #2343139

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
gozer - 2009-08-12 1:37 AM I find putting my pedals as 3 and 9 o'clock and using my knees to squeeze the top tube helps stabilize the bike. This makes descending feel more controlled. My arms are on the aerobars. This works if the hill is not too steep (5-9%). If it gets really steep (not that common in my area), I slide my butt off the back of the saddle and feather the brakes (mountain bike technique). I have a P2C and it puts the rider in a very far forward position. So on really steep hills you feel like you might go over the bars. Road bikes are a little better. Bottom line, brake well before you think you need to and descend only as fast as YOU feel comfortable. Make small adjustments as you get faster. Don't think just because the person in front of you can descend that fast, you can too. That's a sure recipe for road rash. Until then, be content that you'll just catch us on the next hill Take care, Ken

x2 for me on this. I am in no way a bike expert. However, I hit 40 routinely on my training route, and can't go fast enough down hills. I put almost all of my weight on my pedals and squeeze my knees together a bit. I figure it lowers your entire center of gravity instead of just sitting on the seat. I do ride a road bike though, and am in the drops. This is what works for me, and it feels really stable.
2009-08-12 8:27 AM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Wow, great post.  I thought I was the only one with this issue.  I did terrible on the biking portion of my first Tri.  Mainly, not enough time in the saddle... but my son told me I hold back way too much. 

He said the same thing Zed mentioned above, "the bike is not going to fall over on its own; it's made to stay upright."

I guess I'll "get over it" too...

Reading this thread makes me feel better about it.

2009-08-12 8:28 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
spbdds - 2009-08-11 6:18 PM
cannot stay in the aero bars going downhill. Way too scared to be that far from the brakes.

How fast can you go, aero or not, without feeling scared?
2009-08-12 9:56 AM

User image

Pittsburgh, PA
No advice just wanted to chime in with my fears too.  I'm a total newbie and I am terrified of going downhills (I live in Pittsburgh so there are a lot of hills) especially when I can't see very far in front of me (windy hills).  I think in time I'll get better but I'm with you.  I've had a couple of falls (going very slowly) so I'm scared of having one while going fast. 
2009-08-12 10:09 AM
in reply to: #2342329

User image

Champion
PA
JohnAgs3 - 2009-08-11 5:01 PM Also: be sure to look up/out a good distance. The faster you go, the further down the road you want to be looking. Most people focus too close to the front wheel. You want to give yourself enough time to react to obstacle/issues. Practice, practice, practice. The more you do it, the more confidence you will get, the more comfortable you will feel.

This is 100% true.  Fellow motorcyclists will tell you the exact same thing.  You find that turns are much easier to navigate if you look ahead instead of looking too short in front of you.  The speed is much less intimidating and you react to turns much more easily. 

2009-08-12 11:48 PM

As others have said, it takes time (I'm still getting comfortable with it...).
I found this article really helpful:
http://www.thomsonbiketours.com/newsletter/2009_04/coaching.html
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Too Scared going downhill... Rss Feed  

of 2