General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me give up or restart, PLEASE respond Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

Help me give up or restart, PLEASE respond
OptionResults
Do I train for this HM on 9/19 and continue on my plan?0 Votes - [0%]
Do I take another DNS for the HM but just keep building my running slowly?57 Votes - [95%]
Do I rebirth my running life with a C25k program?3 Votes - [5%]
Do I just give all this crap up and become a yogi?0 Votes - [0%]

2009-08-12 4:44 PM
in reply to: #2343352

User image

Veteran
Ardmore, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Help me give up or restart, PLEASE respond
i'm sorry you hurt and are frustrated
and i'm extra sorry about your back.  As i'm sure other back-injurees will attest, back pain is annoying, frustrating and affects you physically and mentally.  I hope the doc you see can prescribe you some good core exercises and that helps- most of us who live with back pain know we always have to do these exercises or the pain returns. also don't forget sometimes you just have to let your body heal for a few weeks.  keeping "at it" because you are tired of being injured will only bring you more pain in the future.
Let us know what the doc says so we can help keep you motivated and help you find good goals until you are 100% ready to attack the half marathon!

2009-08-12 5:25 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

So scubagrrl suggested a sprint tri the same weekend as the HM.  I still get to go to Dayton and see my husband's family.  I get to do another tri with scubagrrl (we had so much fun at the last one), and it would only be a 5k run.  I love my scubagrrl. This actually sounds doable.  Should I?   Is this too much too? 

2009-08-12 6:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio

Or you can just stick around and cheer me on   

You know I'm recoverying too from the calf injury that happened back in May.  I'm still having a rough time at running for any length of time.  My goal for the next few weeks is to just run 3 miles without walking 3 times a week.  Way less than I did before my half, but I'm going to build up to it.  (I'm not quite sure how I ran that entire time at the tri, must have been adrenaline and I don't seem to have it now on my runs!)

Walking the half might be a good idea, I would hate to lose the money too. 

Edited by scubagrrl 2009-08-12 6:47 PM
2009-08-12 10:40 PM

User image

Veteran
I just restarted training after taking off 15 months to rehab an ankle that has been broken multiple times.  Before: if I didn't have time to run at least 8 miles, it wasn't worth the trouble.  Now: 5x 4:00 run + 6:00 walk.  Before: easy ride 18+ mph.  Now: 15+ mph.  Basically, it sucks when I look back, but not when I look forward.  So... I look forward.
2009-08-13 1:40 AM
in reply to: #2345414

User image

Expert
Perth, Australia
Injuries suck - they just make you want to go into a dark corner and have a good cry when all that hard work has led to your body letting you down.  I couldn't run for over a year after developing trochonteric  bursitis.  It's taken me that long to develop my muscles in my butt enough that I can run without pain and it feels wonderful.  You will feel wonderful again too, I know that it's soul destroying to lose the ability you once had but it's not gone for ever.  As so many others have said, build it up really slowly, err constantly on the side of caution.   Good luck and let us know how it all goes.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me give up or restart, PLEASE respond Rss Feed  

of 2