General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hello everyone - need advice Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-12 11:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Not Quite DFL
Subject: Hello everyone - need advice
Greetings,
I have decided I would like to complete a triathlon.  I have never watched one and do not know what exactly to expect.  I intend to participate in the "last chance tri" - which is a sprint - 300M swim, 12 mile bike, 3 mile run.  I know I won't win or place, not concerned about that, but can someone give me the rundown?  Do I need special clothing?  I do not own a wetsuit or bike shorts - just some gym shorts that I run /ride in.  My bike is nothing special, and is actually a mountain bike.  I am on a pretty tight budget - other than a helmet, what clothing should I be looking to buy and why?  Any particular brands or stores/websites you recommend for purchase?  Thanks!  I'm looking forward to this experience.

2009-08-12 11:22 AM
in reply to: #2343876

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Hello everyone - need advice
Hello and welcome! Great job on wanting to do a tri! It will certainly change your life.... as it's hard to do just ONE! HA!

Have you looked on You Tube to watch some tri's? Or is there one you can attend before you do yours?

Special clothing- You can get tri shorts and a tri top if you want. If you don't want to spend the $$$, then wear some jammers and throw a shirt on transition (or not). Just keep in mind that you have to keep your race number on you through the bike and run- so if you do not purchase a race belt- you will have to put on a shirt w/the number.

Race belts are pretty cheap and a good investment if you plan to do anymore tri's or running events in the future.

Good luck!
2009-08-12 11:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
When I did my first triathlon last year, I did the whole thing in swim trunks. 

At minimum, I would say that you should have light trunks that will dry quickly, goggles, a light running shirt, socks, sneakers, your helmet, your bike, sunglasses, and some gatorade.

Beyond that, you could spend all kinds of money on extras, but that's what I went in with last year, and it did the trick for my first.  Once you get hooked, you'll want to spend some money
2009-08-12 11:25 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Congrats on deciding to do this!

Sounds like it may be a pool swim?  if so, no wetsuit   If open water it depends on water temps.  For that distance a wetsuit is mostly an aggravation!

I did my first sprint (pool swim) in a bathing suit start to finish.  Second one was bathing suit with bike shorts since I purchased a road bike in between the 2 races (first one on a hybrid).

Watch a race...volunteer at one if you can before your target race.

Pool swims start off generally seeded by your predicted time to finish the distance, could be a long wait to start.

T1...how long of a run will it be?  Terrain issues (ie rocks or hills?)...remember you need the helmet on & strapped to get on the bike or it's a DQ

Bike...12 miles...know the course, pre ride it if possible

T2...change shoes if you have bike shoes....grab water/ hat....GO....again...know the course.  Where are the water stops?

Most of all...HAVE FUN!

2009-08-12 1:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Not Quite DFL
Thank you - this is great stuff.
2009-08-12 2:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Papillion, NE
Great advice so far.
I just did my first one and used minimal gear. I had a pair of jammer trunks to swim in and threw on my socks/shoes/shirt and went from there, nothing else needed.
We had our numbers markered on us so I didn't need the shirt, if I didn't want to.

I agree with above posters that you should go to one first or watch some YouTube videos so you have some idea of how to setup your transition area and what goes on in general.

Have fun, they are a blast.

2009-08-12 2:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Buffalo Grove
I think that a lot of people have covered the advice that I would give.

Since this is your first tri there are several routes that you can take. 

Tri shorts might not be a bad investment.  You could do the swim in a pair of traditional bike shorts but the extra padding in the bike shorts is going to absorb water.  You could do the entire race in a swim suit.  Looking back when I started most people wore a spedo or something like that.  Since you are on a mountain bike you may or may not need the extra padding. 

So if you want to spend the $ buy a pair of tri shorts.  You can use them for other things (riding). 

The wetsuit would be overkill unless you are swimming in some seriously cold water.  If you ever do get a wetsuit you shuld cut about 3 or 4 inches off the legs.  This makes it easier to remove the WS and you will not notice any difference. 

You will need a decent / comfortable pair of goggles. 

You will probably expereice the "first time swimmers panic".  This is normal during your first tri swim.  First time you are swimming with 30 to 100 of your new "friends".  I would suggest starting at the back of the swim pack, take your time.  Also do a 10 to 15 minute warm up swim.  If this is open water it will allow you to get used to the concept of swimming in a lake / river / ocean....  Again take your time, do not be in a hurry.  This will actually save you time in the long run with your first OW swim. 

When you get out of the water take your time, do not rush.  Make sure you get your helmet on, put your shoes on, sunglasses, etc.  If you try to rush this you can actually forget things or waste time.  Just move with purpose but do not rush. 

On the ride, ride at a pace that is comfortable for you.

When you get back into T2 (bike to run).  Remember to take your helmet off.  If you are changing into running shoes again take your time.  One trick is to either use body glide or baby power in your shoes.  It makes it easier to slip your shoes on.  I use Body Glide. 

Remember your race number if you are using a race belt.  Start at a comfortable pace and expect to feel the bike in your run.  What I mean by this is your legs may not be used to going from a bike to run so it may take a few hundred yards to a mile for your legs to adjust to running.  This is normal. 

Most of all have fun.  Ask questions if you need something.  Triathlon is a great sport and people are more than willing to help out. 

If you have any other questions, please email me at [email protected]
2009-08-12 2:46 PM

User image

welcome crimefighter2!!  I did my first tri this month.  My main bit of advice is, if it's open water, do a swim in open water in your wetsuit before the race!!  I'm a strong swimmer and the swim was the discipline i was most looking forward to. 

Silly me though, i left it til the day of the race to a) swim in my wetsuit for the first time and b) swim in open water for the first time (except for lolling about in the sea recreationally, y'understand).  Got in the water, it instantly calmed me, as it always does.  Set off on the swim and FREAKED OUT.  Couldnt see past my elbow in front crawl (2-3 inches in front of my face!) and started panicking!  Had to do it in breaststroke almost the whole way.  Nothing wrong with that, though, i still got the time i wanted! 

Welcome to the world of tri.  I'm sure once you start you wont be able to stop!  Awesome sport, and everyone on here (except me as i don't know what i'm talking about!) is fab with the advice and support. 

And the best bit of advice given to me by KVesey, when i was panicking about the race - ENJOY IT!

All the best, keep us updated.  (PS where are you from, are you a Brit?  Got that impression....i may be wrong!)

2009-08-12 2:49 PM

User image

Ooh, and get your helmet on before you touch your bike and don't take it off until you've racked it! 

Enjoy!

2009-08-12 3:53 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Here's what you *need* for the triathlon:
Bicycle in good working order
Helmet
Something to swim/bike/run in (swimsuit might work)
Shoes for the ride/run (although you could go barefoot I suppose)
T-shirt (some races have rules against bare torsos, check with your race to be sure)

One caution:  If you haven't tired running or riding in your swimsuit, test it out.  You may find it doesn't provide enough support or it chafes.  If this happens in training, you'll need to find a new solution before the race. 

Beyond this, I'd get a pair of goggles (the race usually provides a swim cap), some sunglasses and sunscreen, and a water bottle for the bike. 

It's your first race, and if you're like the rest of us, it'll get expensive soon enough.  You can skip the tri-suit, race belt, clipless pedals, aero helmet, yanks, fuel belt, yada.yada.yada for the first race.  These things can make you faster or more comfortable, but aren't necessary to complete a race.  Good thing, because I still don't have some of these even though I started 4 years ago. 

2009-08-13 12:33 PM
in reply to: #2344469

User image

Extreme Veteran
Not Quite DFL
aphrodite_225 - 2009-08-12 2:46 PM welcome crimefighter2!!  I did my first tri this month.  My main bit of advice is, if it's open water, do a swim in open water in your wetsuit before the race!!  I'm a strong swimmer and the swim was the discipline i was most looking forward to. 

Silly me though, i left it til the day of the race to a) swim in my wetsuit for the first time and b) swim in open water for the first time (except for lolling about in the sea recreationally, y'understand).  Got in the water, it instantly calmed me, as it always does.  Set off on the swim and FREAKED OUT.  Couldnt see past my elbow in front crawl (2-3 inches in front of my face!) and started panicking!  Had to do it in breaststroke almost the whole way.  Nothing wrong with that, though, i still got the time i wanted! 

Welcome to the world of tri.  I'm sure once you start you wont be able to stop!  Awesome sport, and everyone on here (except me as i don't know what i'm talking about!) is fab with the advice and support. 

And the best bit of advice given to me by KVesey, when i was panicking about the race - ENJOY IT!

All the best, keep us updated.  (PS where are you from, are you a Brit?  Got that impression....i may be wrong!)

Thanks a bunch - swimming will be my worst!  Can I doggie paddle?  EmbarassedLaughing I dont know that I am 'strong' in anything, but I believe I should be able to do the ride in about 45 minutes and the run should be 26-28.  Not sure as I haven't done any of this back to back yet.
But - no - not a brit -- good ol' USA - east/central Illinois to be more specific - how about you?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hello everyone - need advice Rss Feed