General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Reflections on a healthy lifestyle Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-12 12:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Reflections on a healthy lifestyle
So I was sitting around after my last tri thinking about how much my life has changed since I made the decision to "get in shape".  I was at the event and was listening to people greet friends and I laughed to myself thinking, hmmm, don't have to worry about running into any of my friends here they think I'm nuts!!!  The funny thing is, I am OK with that.  I dropped 60 pounds and went from huffing and puffing up staircases to doing tris and I plan on doing a HIM and an IM next year and I AM PUMPED about it!!  Two years ago I would have told someone doing this they were crazy and it is a waste of time.  Now I know it isn't crazy, obsessive at times but not crazy, but something that makes me feel fulfilled.  

I just wanted to start a thread that allowed others to share their journeys/thoughts and maybe reflect on how far they have come.  I am proud to be part of this "brother/sisterhood" and look forward to it for the rest of my life!!

Edited by dewcubs 2009-08-12 12:14 PM

2009-08-12 1:05 PM
in reply to: #2344079

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Reflections on a healthy lifestyle
True dat!
2009-08-12 1:46 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Way to go! Thanks for sharing ...

Sometimes I think about the crazy things I do now and wonder what my teenage self would think about it.  I was getting ready to go out for a ride in all my fancy gear:  jersey with my road bike and shoes, etc. and just had this thought that my teenage self would never have believed that grown up me would be out doing these things. Never in a million years would I have guessed ...
2009-08-12 1:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Very interesting thoughts indeed.  I've never been overweight, but was very much the geeky bookworm all through school and then got caught up in my career.  It's only been in the past three years that I've become a serious athlete of any sort and I've managed to do things I'd never imagined possible: Climbing a 14er in the Rockies, completing a half-marathon (in under two hours even!), and now getting ready for a 3-day, 90-mile canoe race next month.    (Not to mention this little tri thing. ;-D )

The "me" of just five years ago wouldn't even recognize the "me" now.
2009-08-12 2:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

It's all because of your mentor group, right???

2009-08-12 3:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Papillion, NE

My journey is different from most on here. I hated cardio(I do like playing pick-up basketball games) and saw no use in running, would occasionally do 20 min. on the treadmill at a fast walk after lifting.
I have always been in shape and athletic and started competitive powerlifting in 1999. I did that up until 2007. I started competing in strongman also in 2002 and did that until 2007. Having had a very successful run at both sports, I was looking for something different to do. In 2007 & 2008 I did our local stair race, up 40 floors, 870 stairs. This was WAY out of my comfort zone as my body type is a weightlifter, but I made it.
I had always said that if I hadn't gotten into the lifting competitions, I would have loved to do triathlons. Sooooo, after my son did a sprint last year, I decided I would do one. I still lift heavy(which is taking a beating with all the swimming, biking & running I am now doing) but have really enjoyed the change. I don't know how long I will do them but for now, they have my interest.
I have eaten a very strict diet ever since I started competing in powerlifting/strongman so weight/nutrition has never been a problem. I am just always looking for new challenges and things to do.
Gotta live everyday to the fullest.

2009-08-12 3:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
My triathlon life so far has been such a roller coaster. It was really hard for me to adjust my lifestyle once I first got into it and most of my friends (young 20's) didn't really understand why I started exercising so much.

It's been quite a lonely journey for me so far and it really gets me down sometimes but generally, I love training for triathlon and love racing even more. Crossing that finish line is the coolest feeling for me.

I've also starting to look more like an athlete with bigger muscles from swimming! woohoo. 
2009-08-13 6:52 PM
in reply to: #2344320

User image

Master
TORONTO
juniperjen - 2009-08-12 2:46 PM Way to go! Thanks for sharing ...

Sometimes I think about the crazy things I do now and wonder what my teenage self would think about it. 

No kidding!!  As a kid playing with dolls -- imagining what I'd be like as an adult with my own child... waking at 5am every day to workout???  I didn't even exercise until I was in my twenties.  Last week I went to a party - had one drink and was home, in bed and sleeping by 10pm... so I could squeeze a morning run in.   "Never in a million years..."  ha ha very very true!
2009-08-13 7:16 PM

User image

Master
Pacific Northwest

I am also one who thinks it is amazing that I will leave the house in matching spandex clothes and accessories, usually in bright colors (LUNA Chix team)....that I get up early to work out, don't drink much, choose to spend weekends training and racing, and my free time doing tri-related stuff with other triathletes ....the only-wears-black-leather and stays up all night partying gal from years past would pass out if she saw me now.  I do tend to wear black, still....when not in tri clothes.     And yes, I do have a black tri suit. 

My friends 'who knew me then' are more than a little annoyed with my level of involvement in a healthy lifestyle.  I've had to cut down on my relationships with them, as well as write a lot less on facebook about triathlon stuff.  Fortunately, my closest friends tolerate my obsession.

I've lost weight, increased stamina and all that...doing my first HIM this September.....and I get to be a good example to my kids.  I love when people tell me that I am their inspiration for adopting healthy habits, whatever they are choosing to.  I hear that a lot, and that always makes my day!

2009-08-13 7:57 PM

Since April of 2008, down 50 pounds.  Spent hundreds of dollars on new cloths that fit.  Stress way down.  I just laugh along with my druken friends as they make cracks about how smooth my legs are.

Best part, I turned 45 in March of this year.  My partners (work) wife said she thought I was in my 30's.  Yup stinking like clorine, shaving, wearing tights and saying "oh body glide would help that"  does have it's upsides
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Reflections on a healthy lifestyle Rss Feed