General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Breastfeeding and training??? PLEASE HELP!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-12 7:19 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: Breastfeeding and training??? PLEASE HELP!!!
I have a 4 month old and would like to start working out.  The only problem is I don't know how to find any time away from her and breastfeed at the same time.  She always seems to want to eat and she is not really on a schedule yet.  She snacks more at evening/night when my husband is home and he could watch her.  She does sleep through the night and doesn't wake up until around 7am and I could go to the gym first thing in the morning but that may leave me feeling tired during the day. 

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I really want to start training again.  (Dads help also welcomed) Laughing

2009-08-12 7:25 PM
in reply to: #2345123

User image

Veteran
Millstadt, IL
Subject: RE: Breastfeeding and training??? PLEASE HELP!!!
go workout at the gym in the morning, but don't overdo it, it actually perks me up. The let Dad feed the baby in the evening while you bike or run, that's assuming you're pumping and have some bottled/frozen.
2009-08-12 7:29 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
You could put a bike on a trainer then you are not away from her and get nursing breaks as needed - or just ride whilst she is latched on!
2009-08-12 7:40 PM

Modoc County, CA
When my kids were still breastfeeding, I would take aerobics classes at the YMCA.  They had a babysitting service available and I would nurse right before and sometimes right after the class too.  Mine sometimes seemed to want to nurse all the time too.   Many gyms I think have babysitting services, might check it out.

Jyous
2009-08-12 7:45 PM

User image

Master
PA

Get her on a schedule!  It would be good for both of you.   Something to consider is if she is sleeping through the night and you're thinking of getting up to go the gym early am, you may need to pump first so you are not in massive pain!!!  (which wouldn't be such a bad thing b/c then you'll have lots in the freezer).  The other option is start pumping whenever is convenient & get your freezer stocked so that you can go whenever you want to and your husband can feed her if needed.

2009-08-12 8:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
I think part of your plan should depend on when is your best 'work out time'. I am a morning person, and any work out after 2pm just doesn't feel good to me (although it is better than nothing). For me, 4:30 or 5 am is the best time. (My bed time is 9pm!!!) If morning works for you, you could get up early, pump then work out. When Baby iwantotri wakes up, you can nurse or give her pumped milk. If the evening works better for you then just pump before you go and hand the milk and baby off to dad. I know when my nursing babies were that age, the evening was a bad time to be away from them. That seemed to be the 'fussy' time and you know nothing quiets a fussy baby like the bxxb!One more thing to consider is the effect that exercise will have on your milk supply. If Baby iwantotri isn't getting any formula or cereal, keep a close eye on your production.Good luck.

2009-08-12 8:13 PM

Hartsdale
Around 3-4 months my daughter started getting on a natural schedule.  She would b-feed about every 3 hours sometimes 4.  Sometimes they "ask" for milk when they really just want to be soothed.  At 4 months she should be OK for at least 3 hrs at a time.  And yes, try to get some milk stored so that if you go workout in the evenings and she is in dire need then your husband can feed her.  I also started supplementing with cereal at about 5 months which really helped as well.  Good luck! 
2009-08-12 8:14 PM
in reply to: #2345162

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York
Jyous - 2009-08-12 8:40 PM When my kids were still breastfeeding, I would take aerobics classes at the YMCA.  They had a babysitting service available and I would nurse right before and sometimes right after the class too.  Mine sometimes seemed to want to nurse all the time too.   Many gyms I think have babysitting services, might check it out.

Jyous

x2...I would have gone crazy without the YMCA...I also happened to meet one of my now best friends while we were both nursing our babies after class.  Turns out, her son and my son were born on the same day. 
2009-08-12 8:18 PM

User image

Master
And WHATEVER you do, don't give up after day 2 of trying a new pattern.  You, Dad, and the little bit will all need to adjust.  It will take your milk a few days to adjust as well as Dad and babe.  COMMIT to a plan and stick to it for a week - regardless of crabbiness, crankiness, tautness, leakiness, or frustration...  Then adjust if all are still not adapted to the new regime.  And remember the babe may refuse the breast after your exercise - the taste of sweat on the skin puts some babes off. take a quick shower!

Good luck!
2009-08-12 8:20 PM

User image

Veteran
I have three daughters and none of them have ever had a bottle!  They are exclusively breastfed and while I did not know what a triathlon was when they were babies...I still worked out every day.  I first started when they were really young and feedings are random and sometimes they just need a settling suckle to run around my neighborhood. I made sure to come up my street at least every ten minutes. My husband would just stand on the sidewalk for my cue to take a break. It is not ideal but I stayed in shape and my supply did not suffer because of it...I did consume a lot of calories though while my kids were under around 9 months but then my hunger tapered off by a year or so.  When my kids were 6 months (most gyms will not take them until this age) I would go to the gym.  I just told the lady that I am breastfeeding and I never gave my kids any bottles (not even of breastmilk). It worked out great. There were only a few times when I got paged to come nurse.  I could usually give her a quick 'snack' and finish my workout.  Anyhow-I have breastfed for over six years-non-stop!  Sooo, you can do it...it gets much easier as your child gets older and starts eating some solid food.  FYI-that is a little odd for a four month old to sleep through the night-especially while they are nursing.  I know all babies are different but it is rare and usually women notice a decline in breastmilk when night feedings are cut.

Good luck-keep up the nursing-your baby will be very lucky and healthy!
2009-08-12 8:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Hopefully I can help here...I have 2 kids and I nursed both of them until they were 10 1/2 months old. Neither one ever took a bottle and I did not pump or freeze any milk- they would just flat out refuse the bottle so there was no point. I also fed them "on demand" so they were never on a real schedule of any kind. The cluster feeding you talk about in the evening is perfectly normal!
The whole "being on a schedule" thing works for some families, but for others it doesn't work. Since I stay at home with the kids anyway, I just went with whatever they needed.

So on kid #1 I started working out again at 6 months. On #2, I started at 6 weeks.

First, buy a jogging stroller. When your baby can hold their head up well (and the doc says it okay), start running with the jogger. It's easy to stop and feed if you need to. Sometimes they can dislike the taste after you've been working out, and you'll know right away if that is the case. Mine never cared.

Second, get an indoor bike trainer. Ditto on being easy to stop and feed.

Although dropping them off at a gym nursery is an option, that just did not work for me. It seemed like every time they went, they would be sick for 3 weeks so I just stopped.

I think around 6-8 months, when mine started more solid foods, I was able to get out more on my own with Dad at home watching them. I would put on all my running/biking clothes, nurse, hand off the baby, and boogie out the door.

I also used that time to do more yoga at home to work on my flexibility and strength. Plus it was always calming to me to do yoga. When I started working out more, I found that all the yoga I had been doing was a huge benefit to my overall fitness.

Yup, it's hectic and crazy for awhile but it's only a short amount of time and you'll be SO glad that you stuck with it!
Feel free to email me offline if you want to chat more

Dee

2009-08-12 8:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Ditto on the extra calories!
Eat as often as you are hungry. The combination of nursing and exercise means you will need a ton more calories than normal.
2009-08-13 7:20 AM

User image

Expert
My daughter is now 7.5 mos old, but I started training this season when she was 3.5 months old - also EBF with no bottles. It's easier now but sometimes still gets tricky! For example, I was getting up this morning at 5am to go to my regular yoga class when she wanted to eat, so I fed her and promptly fell back asleep and missed the class. Those things happen sometimes!

But for the most part, I work out early in the morning before she wakes up and late in the evening after she's eaten and my son is in bed. Then she hangs out happily with Daddy for a few hours. My gym daycare takes kids only at 6mos+, so the day after she was 6mos old we started going to the gym in the mornings around 10am. She doesn't nap for them, but there's also so much going on that she doesn't think about eating either.

You guys will find what works for you soon enough! Just try a few things and see what happens. Good luck.
2009-08-13 7:37 AM

User image

Pro
Houston

Another exclusive breastfeeder here that never pumped or used bottles.

I think the suggestions of a trainer and jogging stroller are great!  If funds are tight check ebay and craiglist for both. 

I am a Mom of 5 and not a fan of scheduling for your needs.  In time if you pay attention to her cues you'll know the best times to 'get away'.  As baby gets a bit older you may notice a time she nurses less or you may notice that if you are gone she gets along just fine for 1-2 hours.

As far as swimming maybe your husband or a family member/friend could go to the pool with you.  You could swim laps and they could be with the baby in or out of the water.  If baby needed to nurse you would be right there.

I understand how difficult this time can be, the baby is so demanding.  However, this is a tiny moment in your baby's life and will be over before you know it.  It is important to honor her needs first during this time.  Of course that does not mean neglecting yourself or your training just know it may be difficult to find a happy medium this early in.

I started my girls on solids around 9 months old and it opened up a world of freedom for me in the evenings.

Drink plenty of water to keep your supply up and like someone else said eat when you are hungry.

2009-08-13 7:44 AM

User image

Veteran
South Carolina

I'd like to strongly recommend getting in touch with La Leche League, a nursing mom's support group.  While the concept initially sounded strange to me, I found a group of women who were like-minded regarding lots of parenting practices, and also other Mom's for playgroups, and nursing-friendly activities.  No doubt in my mind that they have the answers to your questions in this area.  KEEP NURSING - it gets easier as the baby gets older, IMO.

Read and re-read the replies you've had to this post - great suggestions, info!!

2009-08-13 7:50 AM

User image

On your right

When my wife had our child, we found it most helpful to exclusively pump and feed bottles, and supplement with formula as needed.  This can help you get not only on a schedule, but you can much more accurately see how much the baby is eating.  A less than filling bit of nursing will just mean you have to nurse again sooner.

Plus with good pumping, dad can do lots of the feedings.

With regards to Le Leche League, they can be very helpful, but they can also be a bit over the top at times.  At least some people, from my personal experience.

But this is a great time to train, because you've got your own hydration system built in. 

2009-08-13 12:13 PM

User image

Master

I found it easiest to walk/run with a jogging stroller immediately after my baby nursed in the morning.  We built our whole day around this plan and it helped get us on a reasonable schedule (instead of cluster-feeding, baby not eating or sleeping enough and me losing my mind).

I woke up earlier than baby, ate my breakfast and hung out with DH (if early enough).  When baby woke (anywhere between 5 and 9am), I nursed and then put her immediately in the jogging stroller for a loop around our neighborhood.  She never slept during this time and I had to sing to her sometimes to help her stay happy.  Upon arriving home, I bathed the baby and put her down (now clean and relaxed) for a morning nap, threw in a load of laundry and hopped in the shower.  Sometimes this left time for me to relax before lunch and sometimes not, but it set baby and me in a good routine (Eat, Activity, Sleep, You - like in the Baby Whisperer book).

I didn't start swimming or biking until my kids were older so I'm not much help there.  However, I think that the scheduling (or patterning, if you want to think of it that way) really helped with my daughter's sleeping and eating and gave me some "me" time.

Edited to add - make sure to drink PLENTY of water before and after your exercise and remove the exercise bra immediately after exercise (it's too confining for the bxxbs). 

Edited by Mrs. brown_dog_us 2009-08-13 12:15 PM
2009-08-13 3:43 PM

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI

Thanks for asking this- I'm in the same situation with my 2 month old so I'm taking notes on all the answers.  My son nurses every 3 hours (longer at night) and I"ve started back with running and swimming in those blocks of time in the last couple of weeks.  Its tough to figure it out with such narrow windows of "me" time.  Right now my runs are so short they're pretty easy to fit in, but getting to the pool, swimming, showering, and getting back is a little tough.  I'm pumping but only doing one bottle a day so there's some strategy involved. 

Its such a challenge but now that the bxxbs don't hurt anymore (argh!), I'm starting to really enjoy it. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Breastfeeding and training??? PLEASE HELP!!! Rss Feed