General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To race or not to race . . . What would you do? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-13 9:54 AM

Subject: To race or not to race . . . What would you do?
I am registered for an Olympic race I have dubbed an A- race this weekend, but strained a muscle in my calf earlier this week.  I tested it out last night and was not able to run more than half a block.  I did this same thing earlier in the season and it took roughly 2 1/2 weeks before I could resume normal running again.  The injury does not bother me during the swim or bike.  So what should I do about the race on Saturday?  Should I go into the race knowing that I will just do the swim (pool swim) and the bike and call it quits?  Should I walk the 10K just to finish the race.  Or should I forget the race all together and just do a long ride in preparation for my next race?  This is the third out of four triathlons I have planned this year (my first year in the sport).  The fourth race is a HIM the middle of September.  The underlying purpose of this weekend's race for me was to gain experience and to see how I measure up to other local triathletes.  What would you do?   

2009-08-13 9:58 AM
in reply to: #2346086

User image

Veteran
Buffalo Grove
Subject: RE: To race or not to race . . . What would you do?
I have the same issue going on right now.  I have a strain in my right Soleus muscle and also achilles tendonitis in the same leg (I believe that the achilles tendonitis led to the Soleus muscle strain). 

Anyway, I am about 3 weeks out from IM Louisville and I have a Olympic tri coming up. 

As I see it, if you are ok on the bike, just go to the Swim and the bike and call it a day.  This way you can get a decent workout in.  
2009-08-13 9:59 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
krypt - 2009-08-13 9:54 AM

I am registered for an Olympic race I have dubbed an A- race this weekend, but strained a muscle in my calf earlier this week.  I tested it out last night and was not able to run more than half a block. 

I did this same thing earlier in the season and it took roughly 2 1/2 weeks before I could resume normal running again. 

The injury does not bother me during the swim or bike. 

So what should I do about the race on Saturday? 

Should I go into the race knowing that I will just do the swim (pool swim) and the bike and call it quits?  Should I walk the 10K just to finish the race. 

Or should I forget the race all together and just do a long ride in preparation for my next race? 

This is the third out of four triathlons I have planned this year (my first year in the sport).  

The fourth race is a HIM the middle of September.  

The underlying purpose of this weekend's race for me was to gain experience and to see how I measure up to other local triathletes.  What would you do?   

Based on what you said above... that you were doing the race to see how you compared to local triathletes... you are probably best served to miss the race and to go do a long ride in prep for the HIM.

If you can't run the 10K, then you aren't going to really be able to measure yourself up. Right? So why do it?

If you were someone saying that you just wanted the experience of the race, then my opinion would be different.

If I were you, I would focus on the HIM and not injur myself more for the OLY.

2009-08-13 10:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lunenburg, Nova Scotia
I have heard of people doing exactly that (stopping after the swim/bike because of an injury).  I think that would be the way to go, as long as you feel okay to do both.  At least then you get the training AND a race atmosphere.
2009-08-13 10:33 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Check to see if they have a relay division and if so knock yourself out on the swim and bike and let someone else do the run. I have had a number of similar problems and have done quite a few relays. They can be just as much fun.
2009-08-13 10:48 AM

User image

Expert
Chenequa WI
The first option that you listed - Swim and Bike but don't run - would be what I would do if I were in your shoes.

I think you can get a better workout doing this than skipping the race entirely and biking on your own. 

Good luck with that calf strain and your HIM in September.

2009-08-13 12:07 PM
in reply to: #2346226

User image

Master
popsracer - 2009-08-13 11:33 AM

Check to see if they have a relay division and if so knock yourself out on the swim and bike and let someone else do the run. I have had a number of similar problems and have done quite a few relays. They can be just as much fun.

x2 What a cool idea!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » To race or not to race . . . What would you do? Rss Feed