of 4

2009-08-14 1:19 PM
in reply to: #2347825

Regular
Bronze member
Subject: RE: "Just finish" as a goal
McFuzz - 2009-08-13 11:32 PM

I'll end this post with two challenges: 

1)  Start nurturing and developing those Super Secret goals (the ones that you really dream about) and quit fertilizing the "just finish" goal. 

2)  Go rejoice (post) on a thread where someone hit a goal and is so excited they just have to share it with the BT community. 

I was writing my response to another poster before I saw you write this, and you really summed the issue up nicely.  It is so powerful and important for us all to start to nuture those goals that we are most afraid of naming, and I think you are right, let's learn to be a little braver and name what it is that we really find important.  And yes, let's not be so afraid of failing, that we set the bar lower for ourselves than we really want.  That is something that I think I've started to get during this year of triathloning, and I hope that I can apply it to other areas of my life as well.  I'm going to try to avoid "yes, but" when talking about my goals and when talking about both my achievements and failures.  Good lesson.  Thanks for starting this discussion, even if it really took off in a strange direction.
Erica

2009-08-14 11:05 PM
in reply to: #2346740

User image

Elite
San Diego

Interesting thread. For me, I have no problem with "Just" finishing or finishing as a goal. I think we are all driven by something different.

My attitude on racing/ participating was formed pretty early. I met some pros and retired pro's who loved this sport as amateurs and turned it into a career. The problem was their ability to pay their rent and support their family was completely determined by their finishing times and race results. They ended up quitting because it turned into a stressful grind.

On a personal level, I have had several friends who were in constant pursuit of the Kona Qualifying time. All of them loved this sport like nothing they have ever loved before and all of them have quit this sport, slightly bitter from never getting that magical Kona slot.

For my first IM, I was scared to death of the distance, but by race time, my coach had me so dialed in, I knew I would finish. But I thought I would realistically only have one chance at competing at a race of this magnitude, so the plan was to Just Finish. My race went as planned (for the most part) and I even had a good run for me. When I got to the finish line, I still had some in the tank. I know I didn't give 110% and maybe I lost some respect from some BTers for that (don't know, don't care), but I did what I needed to do get to the finish line, healthy. As I crossed the line, I remember thinking "is that it?". There was not the emotion I thought I would have finishing this race. It felt empty to me.

When I got back home, I spoke with my coach and other IM vets and they all said I should go faster next time. That didn't feel right either. After thinking about the thousands I spent and the amount of time I trained, how much faster would I need to go to make it worth it? 5 minutes? 20? 1 hour? There was no time goal that I could come up with that would make it worth my while again. But, what I did enjoy was the regimented training and the adrenaline rush that I got from fearing a distance. I am not motivated by time. My motivation comes from finishing something that I fear. So, for me, I go into every race hoping to just finish.

Again, everyone is different

Edited by madcow 2009-08-14 11:07 PM
2009-08-14 11:22 PM
in reply to: #2350089

User image

madcow - 2009-08-14 9:05 PM

Interesting thread. For me, I have no problem with "Just" finishing or finishing as a goal. I think we are all driven by something different.

My attitude on racing/ participating was formed pretty early. I met some pros and retired pro's who loved this sport as amateurs and turned it into a career. The problem was their ability to pay their rent and support their family was completely determined by their finishing times and race results. They ended up quitting because it turned into a stressful grind.

On a personal level, I have had several friends who were in constant pursuit of the Kona Qualifying time. All of them loved this sport like nothing they have ever loved before and all of them have quit this sport, slightly bitter from never getting that magical Kona slot.

For my first IM, I was scared to death of the distance, but by race time, my coach had me so dialed in, I knew I would finish. But I thought I would realistically only have one chance at competing at a race of this magnitude, so the plan was to Just Finish. My race went as planned (for the most part) and I even had a good run for me. When I got to the finish line, I still had some in the tank. I know I didn't give 110% and maybe I lost some respect from some BTers for that (don't know, don't care), but I did what I needed to do get to the finish line, healthy. As I crossed the line, I remember thinking "is that it?". There was not the emotion I thought I would have finishing this race. It felt empty to me.

When I got back home, I spoke with my coach and other IM vets and they all said I should go faster next time. That didn't feel right either. After thinking about the thousands I spent and the amount of time I trained, how much faster would I need to go to make it worth it? 5 minutes? 20? 1 hour? There was no time goal that I could come up with that would make it worth my while again. But, what I did enjoy was the regimented training and the adrenaline rush that I got from fearing a distance. I am not motivated by time. My motivation comes from finishing something that I fear. So, for me, I go into every race hoping to just finish.

Again, everyone is different

Tom, I know you are busy with the kids and all, but you really need to post here more often  
2009-08-14 11:55 PM
in reply to: #2348712

User image

Veteran
SoCal
ChrisM - 2009-08-14 9:44 AM hmmmmmm, this post belies all the nice things you've written in this thread, McFuzz.  Seems you've taken a lot of what I've read are people's real race plans and seem to be mocking them.  At least that's the tone I get.  I thought we wanted the thread to move away from that direction

I see absolutely nothing wrong or mock -worthy with you faux "race plan."  If someone pays their $550 and that's how they want to spend their day, more power to them. 

thanks, chris.  glad i wasn't the only one thinking that.  if that's what works for someone as their race strategy, good for them.  like you say, it's their money and their training time.

Edited by novas 2009-08-14 11:58 PM
2009-08-15 1:53 PM

User image

Regular
Katy, TX
What a thread...it seems to go in and out of philosophical and emotional...but always challenging. Something that I read on another thread here a few months ago is the idea that competing in a race is not about the results of the race-day, but rather the training that gets everyone to the start line.  When you go over any race's results, you see very few DNF's compared to the total number of participants.  What would it look like if those results included everyone that wanted to race, but never signed-up or never showed up (some race results do include the latter) because their actual training wasn't enough to merit a start. 

I'm still relatively new to this, but (for me) the biggest challenge in tri's is the discipline it takes to get out there and train.  As an aside....I hate running.  After about 2 weeks of consistent running, I do get to a point where I actually get the "good feelings" associated with it, but I still have a natural aversion to it.  I was still able to push through and run a marathon the other year and what I told people was that the challenge of the maraton was about 95% mental endurance and 5% physical.  It was mental endurance to get out of bed when I'm tired, it was mental endurance to push through a long run, it was mental endurance to keep running past "the wall" on race day despite your body not cooperating.

I guess one of my points is that by the time the race starts and you're there, the biggest goal has been reached.  The overwhelming odds are that you will "Just Finish" barring something completely outside of your control happens.  The "Just Finish" goal is really about doing what it takes to get to the starting line and is a HUGE goal for the majority of population.

The second point I offer is that figuring out what can motivate you to get to the start line is a big part of fulfililng the mental endurance necessary to even be there.  For some of us..."just finishing" is all that is necessary to motivate us.  We've never done that big distance and we just want to test ourselves to see if we can.  For others, meeting or beating your PR is the motivation that you use to get out there and train, and finally, others seek the podium/hardware. 

Now...the only thing I haven't covered is race-day performance.  Or, as others have put it...whether you go all-out to achieve your pre-determiend goal or if you "just go out there and have fun".  Once again, I believe this goes back to motives and mental endurance.  We all will have our own perspective and only we will know if we've lived up to our abilities. The guy that complains to his friend that his perofrmance was terrible despite finishing well before his fiend is a curiosity to me.  What was he complaining about?  His poor training/preparation, his inability to execute on race-day, or that he just wasn't having a good day, or was he just complaining for the sake of it?

The greatness about this sport is that it is something that we have complete control of.  We control our training, we control our execution, we control how we race, and we control how we feel about all of it.  Most of us are not competing for the podium, we are competing against ourselves...or rather, we are fighting for the right to steer our lives rather than just accepting where the winds and current take us.

Wow, sorry about the length....I don't know if this makes any sense to anyone but me.   

2009-08-15 2:28 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama

Anybody ever shoot some hoop w/o really keeping score?  Earlier this week I played a game of 3 on 3 beach vollyball and, while both teams were trying to win, it really wasn't about the W or L....it was about the fun and the participation.

I got a package this week in the mail.  It was an IMKY BT shirt sent to me from my friends here at BT who are doing IMKY this year.  I was to do the race this year and for 6 months, until I got injurred, we exchanged ispires and posted encouragements on BT to on another.  What I'm saying is, many of us participate in this sport for love of the game and for the participation in an event with kindred spirits. 

I think the coolest thing about triathlons is that it allows me - a total non-athlete - to be on the same playing field with some of the finest athletes in the world!  Think about that...here I am a middle-age fat guy who can barely hit a slow-pitch softball and can barely dribble a basketball and I'm out particpating in the same event as professional, world class athletes!! 

I think "just finish" is a perfect goal for the first time IM....especially for BOPers like me!  I do think "just finish" is kinda lame for one's second IM as I think we all ought to contrinually try to improve....so I think "PR" is a better 2nd and subsequent goal.  On the other hand, if someone is coming off an injury or some other life obstacle, "just finish" might still be appropiate for whatever IM number one is doing.

~Mike

2009-08-15 5:22 PM

Expert
Salisbury

IMAZ last April I went into it with a goal of sub 14hrs. Before starting my IM training the furthest I'd ever biked was 80 miles once. The furthest I'd ever ran was 13.1 miles. The furthest I'd ever swam was 1.2 miles. So, I figured 14hrs wasn't too shabby.

My main goal though was to finish. As the day turned out extremely hot and I ended up with serious stomach issues I turned into survival mode. I still managed to run some but walked a lot. I HAD to finish and would have walked, crawled, whatever I needed to cross that line.

Next time I do an IM I'll be more willing to take a "risk" to finish with a better time.

With regards to the conflict between FOP and BOP, it's obviously not everyone but it does exist. Actually, it's probably more the race directors. They start awards before everyone's finished. The choices of food is limited because they run out of something. The choices at the aid stations are limited because they run out. At some small races even the crowd is mostly gone.  I'm sure there are tons of legisitcs involved with the race getting the area cleared and so forth but it's kind of depressing to finish a race (my first HIM) and all the tents are packed up.

I do want to say thank you to the volunteers that stayed out on the course for me and the handful behind me!!!

2009-08-15 5:58 PM

User image

I also think it depends on where you are coming from...some of us consider this (any tri) our own personal marathon, Ironman...whatever you want to call it. I certainly don't think that the first time out it is unreasonable to "just want to finish". Many of us don't come from any kind of racing background other than a race to the fridge for the last ho ho. My own personal goal is to finish without stopping, walking, etc. I would hate for someone's personal goals/opinions to discourage anyone from getting involved in a sport. My hubby is also ultra-competitive and just doesn't get the idea that for some of us, finishing is enough.

2009-08-15 8:40 PM
in reply to: #2347132

User image

Veteran
Socks - 2009-08-13 4:53 PM

You have no idea what demons and challenges the person next to you had to overcome to make it to the starting line.  Are you really arrogant enough to deny someone the ironman experience because their goal is less lofty than yours? 

Well said, as a beginner, I appreciate your kindness to those who hope to finish.  Thanks!
2009-08-15 8:48 PM
in reply to: #2351007

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
wildred - 2009-08-15 8:40 PM

You have no idea what demons and challenges the person next to you had to overcome to make it to the starting line.  Are you really arrogant enough to deny someone the ironman experience because their goal is less lofty than yours? 

Well said, as a beginner, I appreciate your kindness to those who hope to finish.  Thanks!

Too bad that same kindness isn't extended to others.
2009-08-16 8:09 AM
in reply to: #2351007

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

wildred - 2009-08-15 8:40 PM

I responded to Socks' post a lot earlier in the thread, but I'll reiterate here.  If you re-read my original post, did I ever suggest someone not sign up for a race?  Did I ever suggest that their goals were not worthy?  No and No.  What I did suggest was that IF they were unsatisfied after "just finishing" there is probably some other goal that they failed to recognize.  What I did suggest was that there were other ways of achieving that "just finish" goal if that were what was important to them. I used Ironman as an example (because the thread that prompted this was Ironman-based) but it's applicable to any race and almost any life-situation where you have goals. 

If you look at the history of "Can I?" threads on BT, there are a lot of people, some who've taken me to task in this thread, responding with "You should wait until you're better trained." or "Why rush to complete an ironman in your first or second year (if it's about doing an IM in the first or second year)."  There are some valid concerns about getting injured or suffering through the race or rushing.  By contrast, I'm usually the one saying "Yes, you can!  And here's a strategy that should work for you."  That strategy is to wait a few seconds at the start of the swim to calm yourself.  Go easy (what seems like rediculously easy) on the bike and run.  Smile a lot, thank the volunteers, and encourage other participants.  Don't worry if you're last, you finished and you've done something a lot of people won't even attempt!   

It's your goal, come up with a plan that gives you the best chance at meeting that goal.  It doesn't matter if your FOP/MOP/BOP, a rookie or a veteran, couch-to-5K or an Ironman, looking to lose 20 pounds or whatever.  The very first step is discovering within yourself what exactly that goal is and that's why I started this thread. 

2009-08-16 8:33 AM

User image

Veteran

Thank you for responding.  I understand what you are saying and I think you have done so in a kinder way than your original post.  I came to this sight because I am a true beginner and I love the sport.  I have gained so much by reading the forums. There have been times that I believe some of the more experienced triathletes forget that this is a "begginertriathlete" website.  

That's all, thanks again for taking the time to give your point.  And believe me I do get it.  I did my first Sprint with the intent to 'just finish" however I was very surprised to see the competitiveness in me come out on race day, and I did more than just finish.  You learn a lot about yourself by stepping up to the starting line and even more by crossing the finish line. 

Thanks again for a good discussion!

2009-08-16 10:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I just have to throw in my .02 on the whole FOPer's vs BOPer's.

I'm very grateful for the FOPer's who hang around this board to answer all of our newbie questions.  Without all of the "extremely experienced triathletes" on here, it would be the blind leading the blind.

Also, I was passed in my race by alot of the FOP men in the wave behind me, and almost every single one of them gave me encouragement as they whizzed by.   I would say the vast majority of FOPer's are incredible in their support for us newbies.  Of course there's going to be a bad apple here and there, there is in anything you do.

So... thank you, to all of the experienced people who take the time to contribute to this board.

As far as the goals, I signed up for my race three months out, coming from 10+ yrs on the couch, no swimming experience and some serious health problems.  So yes, my goal was to FINISH without walking and keep the bike (mtn bike) at more than 13 MPH.  Will it be my goal next time?  NO WAY!!  I can't wait to get back out there and smash my timesSmile.
2009-08-17 9:36 AM

User image

Veteran
For my first Ironman my goal was to "just finish".  Yes, I wanted to finish in an offical race.  Yes, I wanted to do it in under 17 hours.  Did I manage it yes.  Did I plan it that way yes.  I worked out what my average speeds needed to be on the bike and the run, with a bit of lee way.  I figured that I would aim to try and get to the finish line 20 minutes before the cut off of the bike and for the run.

So what was my offical time 16 hour 39 minutes.  I knew my speed, my abilities and my goal was to finish.  I knew I could do that too.  Did I get that external validation - absolutely.  Did I get that internal validation - YES!  But I went into that race with that goal.

My second IM was different.  I trained better and I already knew I could finish.  That was not going to be enough this time round.  My goals were different, the average speeds I needed to maintain to get to those goals were different.  Had something happened that messed up those would I have been happy with a "just finish"?  NO!!!  I wanted to do a sub 14 hours 30.  Did I re-evaluate those goals as the race went along.  Yes, but I still had my goal time in my mind.  I had not factored in temperatures over 38 degrees celcius, wind that rated gale force at times (and blew away the race marquee), a rain storm or thunder and lightning that blew all the lights.  So I kept calculating and recalculating in my head what my average speed was and what time I could look at realistically.

Luckily for me I cope well in hot weather, I trained in wind and rain (although not that kind of wind) and I had underestimated how much better my training had been.  I managed to finish in 13 hours 32. 

Have a look at my blog if you want to see what the wind did to the marquee

http://pamiejane.wordpress.com/2009/04/21/photos-ironman-marquee/

T
2009-08-17 10:05 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Thanks Pamiejane and congratulations on both finishes.  I knew the population of people entering with a "just finish" goal and then happily finishing was greater than zero. 

2009-08-17 10:24 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Every race you go into you have goals - whether they are "published" or not.  They should be realistic, measurable and attainable.  But they should also be adabtable.

My example:

I had high hopes for my first IM.  Not necessarily Kona goal, but was hoping for the best day possible and near 10 hours.  I'm not a strong swimmer, but I came in at right where I thought I would be with the swim.  That put me 20 minutes down on the front end of the field, but I executed exactly the way I hoped in the water and was happy with the swim.

The bike is my strength and for once I actually went into a tri trained almost to the level where I was happy with my bike fitness.  But I wanted to make up time.  Rookie mistake.  You can never make-up time in a race.  So I split the first half of the ride only 4 minutes or slower than my HIM bike split from 6 months before.  If I could continue on that pace I would have been under 5 for the ride .... legitimate with no drafting.  Back half the first half effort caught up and finished a bit slower than I wanted.  So adjusted my goals accordingly.  No sub-10, shoot for sub-11 comfortably.

But I still came off the bike with an overall time that would allow me to run a 4 hour marathon and still break 11 hours easily.  Should have been a joke because just 3 weeks earlier I had run a 3:15 stand alone mary as a training run.  Well, within a 1/2 mile of running conservatively I couldn't take a deep breath.  I had some sort of lung issue going on where I couldn't take anything more than a very shallow breath while running - almost like hyperventilating.  I had to walk to get it under control and get some full breaths in or I was going to pass out.  After a few hundred yards I tried to run again.  Same thing happened.  After a few more attempts I had to alter my goals again.  At THAT point, it then became a "just get to the finish" race.  The goals had to change and be re-evaluated.  I determined that if I was going to be forced to walk an IM marathon because of my lungs, then I was going to do it as fast as I could and in my own way.  I attempted to run numerous times but could only get a few hundred yards before I had to walk as I couldn't breath.  That had never happened before in a race, and has never happened since.

So I did it my way and I altered my goals as needed.  And I finished.

It was never my original goal to "just finish."  But I adapted the goals that I had set as the race wore on and got to the finish line any way possible.

If it makes someone perceive me as an arrogant pr-ck because at a dinner before the race I had stated hopes of being around 10 hours (and was realistically trained for that), then that is their right to feel that way.  I feel sorry for people that judge others no matter what talent level or abilities one has.  This sport of all sports that I have participated in has shown the most consideration and helpfullness of anything I've done.  And it is the same from the winners of the race down to the last person to cross the line.

2009-08-17 10:43 AM
in reply to: #2351301

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
wildred - 2009-08-16 8:33 AM

Thank you for responding.  I understand what you are saying and I think you have done so in a kinder way than your original post.  I came to this sight because I am a true beginner and I love the sport.  I have gained so much by reading the forums. There have been times that I believe some of the more experienced triathletes forget that this is a "begginertriathlete" website.

Maybe but I think some beginners in particular those new to BT fail to realize many of those referred as FOPers also were beginners at some point, also came to BT seeking for help, advice, guidance, support, etc. The fact that some are more genetically talented plus their hard work happen to be fast doesn't underminde the fact many still are or were beginners.

We all come here because we all share the same addiction for Tris, we all enjoy sharing our interest, love and passion for the sport. Some BTers like to enjoy the social aspect of the site, others enjoy helping with advice/ share experiences, others just like to inspire friends, and some others 'train' and spend more time on COJ (that's a joke). The point is that we all come here for Tris and this arguments of FOP vs BOp are nothing but silly. Yes there are not so kind people out there, I've met more than few with bad attitutes regardless of their speed.

I don't know what you call a true beginner but when I came here I was a beginner for sure; I had no clue what triathlons were, I never swam competitively, I only rode bmx style bike when young, only ran when doing team sports (soccer) and I certainly had not clue as to how to train for it. I've learned so much from people on this site, I've made so many BT friends, I've gone and have fun at different races in different stares, I've got into arguments, etc which is why I enjoy the site so much and why I choose to spend time in it.

Today I am a coach/ athlete and because of the help I recieved when I 1st got here is why I enjoying helping other "true" beginners with their tri experience. I don't sugar coat some of my posts and I will point out if I think some information is incomplete/inaccurate or just plain BS and present the reseans and sources as to why I think that way, but I do it so beginners have the information available and they can make up their own minds.

Anyway, a BOP might feel they have more things in common with other BOPers and likewise for a FOPer, yet there is no reason to create this absurd divisions because some might have this insecurities or preconceived notions. Since day #1 I've experienced how most triathletes are very welcoming, supportive and encouraging regardless of speed. At my 1st tri ever the guy who place 2nd helped put in my back tire when he saw me struggling with it (I guess I had newbie written all over my forehead).

Today I train with many athletes of different capabalities (what some refer as FOP/MOP/BOP though I just think of them as triathletes and friends) and we have a blast; we might train together all the time, sometimes, we might start together and then do our own thing, wathev, what matter is that we all look after each other and when we are done we hang out and have fun. At races we still cheer for each other and usually we stay encouraging until the last friend crosses the finish line regardless how long it takes.
2009-08-17 10:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Louisville, KY
I just have to add that I've never experienced any kind of elitist attitude from FOP triathletes.  Not on here, not on race day.  I just picked up the tri addiction this year.  I did my third sprint this past weekend.   Was having a fantastic ride, but towards the end of the bike, I was hot, the roads were really rough, and I felt myself starting to slow down.  A guy doing the Olympic distance, on his second loop through passes me, and as he does, he yells back at me "push it, push it...stay strong".  It was just what I needed to kick it in again, and finish my bike in the best time I ever have in a race.  So, THANK YOU Mr. anonymous, much faster than me triathlete.  It was just the encouragement I needed. 
2009-08-17 11:07 AM

User image

Pro
Burbs
This has been a really thought provoking read.

The goal I told everyone for IMCOZ 09 was "finish with a smile."

The more I train and think about what I could realistically do ... I'm thinking a sub 15 is attainable.

I sometimes have three goals for a race:
> a pie in the sky, everything goes perfectly, wind at my back, attainable but pretty difficult goal
> a reasonable, attainable goal
> an everything goes to , but I'll be happy with this time goal

if I finish IMCOZ at 16:59:59(.99999) I will be happy. I will be elated.  Hell, I'll be an IM.
But --- I think I am capable of going faster than this, and I will train and race accordingly.
My main goal, though, really -- is to enjoy the day. You only do your first IM once !
2009-08-17 11:18 AM

User image

Buttercup

Interesting thread.

I choose my distance based upon how much time I am willing to put into training. I have no desire to do the kind of training necessary for an IM, therefore, I see no IM on my horizon. I know what kind of training I have to do to race an Olympic, and I'm willing to put in the time and effort. So, for me, finishing is never a question. Being willing to consistently put in the training effort and hours is the question.

Just as I am detached from the others' opinions on my pink Crocs, I am likewise detached from their opinion of my effort, training or race results. I don't do this for the good opinion of others. I do this because I have too much time on my hands,  the training is beneficial to my physical and mental well-being, and I have fun. When it stops being fun and becomes work, I stop participating. Choosing a race is simply a means of backing into creating a structured training plan.

Do I have time goals? Of course. Those are based upon my perception of what my training effort and time should be yielding in terms of gains in endurance and speed.

Everybody's different. Ain't it cool?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Just finish" as a goal Rss Feed  

of 4