General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Eating The Same Things Every Day- A Problem? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-13 4:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Eating The Same Things Every Day- A Problem?

Each and every day I eat the same things pretty much. I have different things for dinner obviously, but breakfast, lunch and all the snacks in between are fairly constant every day. 

I make sure I eat enough protein, eat recovery meals after my workouts etc, and am fairly knowledgeable about what I should and shouldn't be eating. However, I just eat the same things day in day out. I have 2x multivitamins to make sure I'm getting enough vitamins/minerals. I aslo drink quite a lot of water. I eat lots of fruits and vegetables. 

Just asking to see if there is anything wrong with eating the same sort of things day in day out? 

(Fruit_Vegetables.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Fruit_Vegetables.jpg (9KB - 8 downloads)

2009-08-13 5:34 PM
in reply to: #2347231

User image

Mountain View, CA
Subject: RE: Eating The Same Things Every Day- A Problem?
If you're getting a good variety of different foods overall (especially those fruits and vegetables) and meeting your nutritional needs, I don't think there's a problem with concentrating the variety in one meal. It might make it a bit more difficult to get enough variety, but I don't think it's impossible.

I almost always eat the same thing for breakfast every day (yogurt), but I get pretty bored if I eat the same thing for lunch for even a week, let alone all the time. Good thing I typically have dinner leftovers that I can bring.
2009-08-13 8:33 PM

User image

Master
Riverside, IL
I eat the same thing everyday for breakfast & lunch, too.  The only things that vary slightly, are my snacks and dinners.   For me, I just find it easier to wake up and prepare the same thing for breakfast everyday, especially since I do my workout within 45 minutes of eating breakfast.  Plus I know it agrees with my tummy during my workouts (on most occasions). 
2009-08-14 12:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Yes, just the comfort of knowing that the foods you get are going to full you up, good for training foods and the fact that you know exactly how much you should be eating and when.

Sure, if I get bored of it I'll change, but 1-2 years and I'm not bored of it yet.  

2009-08-14 11:48 AM

Veteran
YES- it could actually be a problem. Even if these foods are great, you could be lacking in certain essential nutrients- folic acid, Omega 3's etc.? Many people do find that eating the same foods helps them on many levels- food digestion/calorie monitoring etc., but there is a real possibility that you might be short. Eating a wider variety in the evening meals might be a important approach.

When in doubt log what you eat and see if you even meet the RDA, which I believe is the most minimal one should get in and is not a measurement for athletes anyway.
2009-08-17 10:03 PM

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
Other than boredom, if diet is balanced, there is no problem.  When my oldest spent a semester studying in Nepal, for long stretches of time they ate dhaal baat - lentil stew on rice.  3 meals a day. And this is how most people there eat for most of their lives.

It can simplify your life, by cutting back on planning, shopping, and cooking time. But like I said, I think it would get boring.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Eating The Same Things Every Day- A Problem? Rss Feed