General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Complex Carbs vs Simple Sugars Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-12 10:41 AM

Atlanta
Subject: Complex Carbs vs Simple Sugars

Looking at a few of the threads concerning recovery drinks and a link that was included, I am not sure when the correct time to consume complex carbs and simple sugars relating to daily life, during an extended workout, and post workout.

Generally speaking complex carbs are better for everyday nutrition, correct? 

So why are most post workout drinks simple sugars,

http://www.ultimareplenisher.com/products/

Thanks

Jeff

2005-05-12 10:59 AM
in reply to: #156442

Elite Veteran
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Subject: RE: Complex Carbs vs Simple Sugars

You will hear from many more 'expert' people here than me, but my quick answer is complex carbs are for your daily carb requirments, for energy and to keep blood sugar levels stable.  Simple sugars are great post workout because they are quickly absorbed and get your glycogen stores back up very fast - to help you recover quickly from what you just depleted.

2005-05-12 11:08 AM

User image

Elite Veteran
Smyrna, Georgia

Complex carbs tend to be better for everyday nutrition because they give you longer burning energy, less blood sugar spikes and tend to not have the nutrients stripped out.

Having said that, your immediate goal after your workout is to replenish your glycogen (stored carbs) in your muscles.  The fastest way to achieve that is to give your body the fastest source of carbs around - simple carbs. 

Same thing goes during your workouts.  If you need some fuel while you're exercising, you want it to be easily digestible and divert as little energy away from your muscles as possible.  If your food requires more energy & blood to digest than your body has available (e.g. your arms and legs are hogging it all while you're exercising), you tend to get cramps and your stomach may decide to kick it out (e.g. puke).

This explanation is pretty simplified and simple carbs only isn't the best way to go for longer exercise sessions (over 3 hrs or so), but it'll work for shorter distances.

2005-05-12 12:11 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
I agree with the responses above.  Simple sugars hit you quick and are ideal for glycogen replenishment during that narrow ~30min window immeduately after a workout.  The insulin spike isn't a big deal because your muscles are "thirsty" for the energy so it doesn't get converted directly to fats as would often be the case with simple sugars during other times.  You can increase the efficiency of transporting carbs to your muscles even more by taking ALA or the better form, R-ALA, about 20 min before any significant carb intake.  As for during training/racing, id say that simple sugars are necessary to provide immediate energy but I'd also suggest a mixture of complex carbs to help extend the supply and avoid peaks and valleys.  I'm also of the school that a 4:1 carb:protein ratio is best for recovery and fueling during exercise.  We could go back and forth a long time debating the empirical research that supports this (or not) but I don't have time to get into it today...I actually need to get some work done
2005-05-12 12:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Delray Beach, FL
Simple carbs give you immediate fuel.
Complex carbs stay longer in your sistem, your body takes longer to process, therefore your fuel will last longer.
You need both on a recovery drink. Enough simple sugars to help your body refuel immediately and enough complex carbs to last you until your next calorie intake. That is why scheduling your gel\sport drink consumption is so important.

2005-05-12 1:38 PM
in reply to: #156513

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA

It's best to eat a full meal with protein and complex carbs 60-90min after your recovery drink.  That allows you to focus your recovery on glycogen replacement with simple sugars.  If you can't work a good meal in that soon after your workout then yes, adding some complex carbs to your recovery drink would be a good idea.

clflgrl - 2005-05-12 12:19 PM Simple carbs give you immediate fuel. Complex carbs stay longer in your sistem, your body takes longer to process, therefore your fuel will last longer. You need both on a recovery drink. Enough simple sugars to help your body refuel immediately and enough complex carbs to last you until your next calorie intake. That is why scheduling your gel\sport drink consumption is so important.

2005-05-12 4:06 PM
in reply to: #156507

Elite Veteran
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

TH3_FRB - 2005-05-12 12:11 PM I agree with the responses above.  Simple sugars hit you quick and are ideal for glycogen replenishment during that narrow ~30min window immeduately after a workout.  The insulin spike isn't a big deal because your muscles are "thirsty" for the energy so it doesn't get converted directly to fats as would often be the case with simple sugars during other times.  You can increase the efficiency of transporting carbs to your muscles even more by taking ALA or the better form, R-ALA, about 20 min before any significant carb intake.  As for during training/racing, id say that simple sugars are necessary to provide immediate energy but I'd also suggest a mixture of complex carbs to help extend the supply and avoid peaks and valleys.  I'm also of the school that a 4:1 carb:protein ratio is best for recovery and fueling during exercise.  We could go back and forth a long time debating the empirical research that supports this (or not) but I don't have time to get into it today...I actually need to get some work done

I have read that the newer thinking was a carb/protein combo recovery meal was the best - I have been having really good results with chocolate skim milk as a post workout (within 15 minutes) drink.  I think that has a pretty good ratio?  And the price is right!  Although some people can't tolerate dairy.

2005-05-12 10:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Germantown, MD
Sorry but the simple versus complex carbs isn't as easy as complex carbs for sustained energy, simple for spikes. That is probably a decent generalization, but you need to look at the glycemic index. The GI measures the blood sugar response of whatever you're eating relative to pure glucose (100 being pure glucose). Very important for diabetics but can be used by athletes as well. In general simple sugars are high in GI, complex carbs are low, but there are lots of discrepancies. For example, a baked potato (lots of complex carbs) has a GI of 85 (very high), whereas apple juice (all simple sugars) has a GI of 40. The potato even has a higher GI than gatorade (78). You can find different numbers depending on where you look, but you get the picture. There's a table here:
http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_food_diet/glycemic_index.php

The general rule (as I understand it, could be wrong) is high GI during and after a workout, low GI during the rest of the day. Immediately before I don't remember if it's low or high.
2005-05-12 11:39 PM

Atlanta

Thanks for all of your input.  I will digest that info...slowly and quickly!

Jeff

2005-05-13 8:03 AM
in reply to: #156894

User image

Extreme Veteran
SW part of US
Ditto on the GI index...

As for sugar spikes... well, yes and no... Consumption of Sugars has two element - molality and absorbtion.

The overly simplistic answer to sugars lie in a combination of molality (i.e., concentration of sugars relative to water or protein - which can change the GI) and the rather constant level of the stomachs ability to absorb the sugars.

The fact that the body can only take the sugars in a constant level typically means that molality has less of an effect on the type of sugars you digest. However, you can't ignore the concentration or the kinds of sugars that are digesting because concentration can have a significant effect on your willingness or ability to drink/eat the carbohydrate.

The simplistic answer to your question is experiment with various carbohydrate concentrations until you have it right... and, just when you think you have the right combination... Wham! The environment changes (i.e., too hot or too cold), and now you have to adjust to those changes.

FWIW Joe Moya
2005-05-13 9:11 AM
in reply to: #156894

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Agree...but I was trying to keep it simple with complex vs simple.  If you want to be anal about it (and I am) the GI index is a good way to determine what is fast vs slow digesting.  Another generalization is that "white" carbs (often processed) are high GI...baked potato is an example of a non-processed high GI white carb.  Sweet potatoes/yams are a much better choice for your carbs with meals.

JGFTri - 2005-05-12 10:30 PMSorry but the simple versus complex carbs isn't as easy as complex carbs for sustained energy, simple for spikes. That is probably a decent generalization, but you need to look at the glycemic index. The GI measures the blood sugar response of whatever you're eating relative to pure glucose (100 being pure glucose). Very important for diabetics but can be used by athletes as well. In general simple sugars are high in GI, complex carbs are low, but there are lots of discrepancies. For example, a baked potato (lots of complex carbs) has a GI of 85 (very high), whereas apple juice (all simple sugars) has a GI of 40. The potato even has a higher GI than gatorade (78). You can find different numbers depending on where you look, but you get the picture. There's a table here:http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_food_diet/glycemic_index.phpThe general rule (as I understand it, could be wrong) is high GI during and after a workout, low GI during the rest of the day. Immediately before I don't remember if it's low or high.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Complex Carbs vs Simple Sugars Rss Feed