General Discussion Triathlon Talk » long workouts with a pull buoy Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-14 9:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: long workouts with a pull buoy

i've recently gotten back in the pool after a long time away and wonder if doing longer workouts with a pull buoy when all the races i do are in a wetsuit makes sense? especially as i'm mainly looking to build volume and endurance for my first IM next year?

in addition to being slow, i'm a sinker with no backside and it takes some extra effort and energy on longer swims to keep my a$$ up. swimming with the pull helps alleviate the sinkage, lets me focus on my stroke and swimming longer, and seems much more like swimming in a wet suit than not.

my thought is use the pull on long workouts until i can work up to the 3800M non-stop and then go from there . . . any slow-sinkers out there tried an approach like this?

Edited by yojimbo 2009-08-14 10:04 PM

2009-08-15 4:43 AM
in reply to: #2350044

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: long workouts with a pull buoy
If your IM is next year, there's no reason to be doing anything close to 3800m of straight swimming now.  You should be building your endurance while swimming sets of shorter intervals and learning to swim with proper body position.
2009-08-15 6:14 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
x2 on JK's advice.

If I were you I would find a master's program and swim with them 3+ times per week.  You will swim lots of shorter intervals but when the time comes to some specific IM swim work, you should be much faster with better body position and in a much better position to have a great swim on race day.

As far as the pull buoy, there is no reason why you should be using it fix your body position.  Instead, it should be used as a tool so you can experience good body position for a set (say 100) and then swim without it for the next 100 and try to replicate the position.

Shane
2009-08-15 3:25 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
x3
If your a@@ is sinking, it's not because there's something wrong with your body, it's because your form and technique need work.  Hire a swim coach, go to a Master's swim program, get some swim lessons.  You have plenty of time to learn to swim before your IM next year.

Pull buoys should be used for short periods of time to work on specific technique drills.  Be careful that the pull buoy doesn't become a crutch.
2009-08-16 4:27 PM

User image

Veteran
WA
I too was a slow swimmer/sinker. I went to a masters class and the guy took one look at my swim and said get a buoy and put it between your ankles DO NOT KICK anymore. Turns out I was doing this big scissor kick and did not have time to learn to flutter kick that year as I was only a few months from IM. Anyway I heeded the advice and wow what a difference it made. I swam much straighter in my next open water swim because I just crossed my legs in the wetsuit and I didn't have that big scissor kick throwing me all over the place. I'm sure I would be much faster if I would get back into the masters and learn the proper way of kicking but I would rather spend the extra training effort on the bike and the run because I will never be able to gain enough time on the swim to make that big of difference and I get to pass people all day. I only ended up using the buoy for a short period until I got used to not moving my legs. I swim a HIM in 38 min. (down from an hour before) and my full swim time was 1:36:00.
2009-08-16 5:50 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

yojimbo - 2009-08-14 10:57 PM

i've recently gotten back in the pool after a long time away and wonder if doing longer workouts with a pull buoy when all the races i do are in a wetsuit makes sense? especially as i'm mainly looking to build volume and endurance for my first IM next year?

in addition to being slow, i'm a sinker with no backside and it takes some extra effort and energy on longer swims to keep my a$$ up. swimming with the pull helps alleviate the sinkage, lets me focus on my stroke and swimming longer, and seems much more like swimming in a wet suit than not.

my thought is use the pull on long workouts until i can work up to the 3800M non-stop and then go from there . . . any slow-sinkers out there tried an approach like this?

I second the masters advice.  I LOVELOVELOVE my masters program.  Its SOOO much better thn swimming on your own.  try using some fins too. 

2009-08-17 9:07 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Swimming with a pull buoy does help with body alignment that you'll experience with a wetsuit. Not sure it's a good idea to use it as a training aid for that purpose, though.

(Altho, I caveat that with noting that I spent a good amount of last year swimming with a pull buoy because my calves cramped constantly when I kicked, and it was the only way to get through long swims. So, it's not going to "hurt" you, IMHO.)

Since you have a year until your IM, I would concentrate on technique by either swimming with a coach/instructor or joining a masters program (as the others have noted). However, for what it's worth, as you swim, make sure your head is down and you are looking at the bottom of the pool, then press your chest down toward the bottom of the pool. (Don't actually swim toward the bottom .) You should feel your hips pop up behind you.

Edited by kvesey 2009-08-17 9:08 AM
2009-08-17 11:03 AM

User image

Elite
San Diego

I am probably the absolute worst person to give swim advice (because I think I am rather unorthodox), but I am bored at work, so I will weigh in. First, I agree with others, that if your race isn't until next year, you should find a coach and work out the kinks in your form before taking on long swim sets.

With that said, I think my form is pretty good (for me) and I find that a buoy does replicate my form with a wetsuit. I am also not a big kicker (read unorthodox swimmer), so I have no problems with long pull sets. In fact, for the last month or so, all of my short swim sets (3000 yards) are all pull and half of my long swim sets (7000-7500 yards) are all pull sets.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » long workouts with a pull buoy Rss Feed