General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transition from tri-season to run-season? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-14 10:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Transition from tri-season to run-season?

My last tri (a sprint) is scheduled for 9/5.  Until then I'm on a weekly schedule of: run 3x, swim 2x, bike 2x. 

After 9/5, I'd like to transition into a more run-focused schedule, although still 3x per week, but building mileage for the following races:

10/17 - 5k (more or less just for fun, but I'd still like to be fast)
11/8 - 10 mi  (B race)
11/22 - 13.1 mi (A race)

After 9/5, I'd still like to do: 1x bike, 2x swim (both easy, maybe one around 600 yds, one around 1000 yds...because I'm new to swiming this year and I want to keep working on my technique.)

From the week of 9/6 through 11/22, my training schedule is basically looking like this:

Sun - Bike
Mon - ???
Tues - Run (short)
Wed - ???
Thurs - Run (short)
Fri - ???
Sat - Run (long, building from 6 mi...which I've been doing all summer...to a high of 13 mi three weeks before the final race and 8 days before the 10 mi race.)

Of Mon/Wed/Fri, which would be my best bet for a day off, and which would be my best bets for swim days?

Also, do you think I could get in one strength and one yoga workout per week w/o being overloaded?  I'm thinking, pair one up with my easy 3-mile run day and one with my shortest swim day. 

Thoughts?

2009-08-15 2:04 AM
in reply to: #2350069

User image

Expert
Berkeley, Calif.
Subject: RE: Transition from tri-season to run-season?
Are you using a half mary training plan for your A race? That'd be my advice. Find a plan that works for you (probably most of them would have you running at least four days a week, but could safely drop one if you wanted) and then plug in your swim, bike, strength and yoga as you see fit. Just make sure you don't schedule a tough strength or bike session the day before a tough run (ie, a long run or a tempo run). I'd think biking the day after a long run would be fine. Yoga and swim you could do any time since it's not too strenuous. Strength training should be just fine the same day as a short run or swim (I'd recommend doing it after the run).
2009-08-15 5:12 AM
in reply to: #2350069

User image

Expert
Canada
If your long run is Sat, I would take your rest day, soon after.  By your schedule, Monday.  In my schedule, I bike Sat & LSD Run Sun & Rest Mon.

For your other runs, I would eventually incorporate some hills, if there any in philly.  This is the running power training.  The other run would be steady or tempo.  If you do a 4th, easy.

I use my bike instead of a 4th run day.  

Good Luck

Smile

Also, When I do Half M's, I like my longest LSD to be a little more than my goal race.  ie.  14 or 15 miles.  Good confidence builder!Cool 
2009-08-15 7:16 AM
in reply to: #2350158

User image

Veteran

GoGoGo - 2009-08-15 5:12 AM If your long run is Sat, I would take your rest day, soon after.  By your schedule, Monday.  In my schedule, I bike Sat & LSD Run Sun & Rest Mon.

For your other runs, I would eventually incorporate some hills, if there any in philly.  This is the running power training.  The other run would be steady or tempo.  If you do a 4th, easy.

Yeah, I think Monday is probably the best bet, as suggested.  I think Friday I'll do a short swim, and turns out my gym has a 30 minute "yoga stretch" class that day. 

I have planned to do alternating hills and speedwork, so that I'm doing each just about every other week.  For instance, Tues speedwork/Thurs 4 miles easy one week, and then Tues 4 miles easy/Thursday hills the next.  Always an easy the Thursday before a race weekend.

The plan is kind of my own, it is the same mileage buildup I used for a spring 10 miler, just with a few extra miles on the end.  But, I've never incorporated bike or swim before, as this was my first summer of triathlon, so I've always had plenty of days off in the past.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Transition from tri-season to run-season? Rss Feed