General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Disabled triathletes Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-16 5:55 PM

New user

Subject: Disabled triathletes
  I am a paraplegic, and have been wanting to do a sprint triathalon for several years. I have a wonderful trainer at my local gym, who has loads of experience in endurance racing, but none in training a disabled person. He thinks I need to get more specific training in.

So, my question is, does anyone know a disabled triathlete, or someone with experience training them? I have gone to the Challenged Athletes site, but they don't have much other than ads

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Edited by [email protected] 2009-08-16 5:55 PM

2009-08-16 6:23 PM
in reply to: #2351861

Expert
Subject: RE: Disabled triathletes
Check out this link with USAT:

http://usatriathlon.org/content/index/2160

There's a USAT National Paratriathlon team so USAT may have some contact info on a coach. There is also a list of bio's of other paratriathletes. Good luck in the sprint, and since I already planted the seed, good luck in your quest to make the National team!

2009-08-16 8:47 PM
in reply to: #2351895

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
My daughter has spina bifida and I got to meet a cincy area guy that also has spina bifida at a local meeting. He just finished college and does triathlons. I got to race with him at tri for joe in cincy earlier this year. I do not know what your challenges are but this guy can do triathlons with muscle control just down to L4 (your quads and big toe). He uses a racing wheelchair for the run and a hand bike for the bike. Both are tricked out more than my bike (HED deep dish racing wheels-sweet). I dont have his contact info but could try to get it for you if you like.
2009-08-17 6:44 PM
in reply to: #2351895

New user

Thanks for the USAT site! I already have an email to them asking about a trainer. Hmmm...I am thinking the National team might be a few weeks, (okay, maybe months) away!
2009-08-17 6:49 PM
in reply to: #2352132

New user

Your daughter has Spina Bifida? First, I am sorry to hear it. I know how tough it can be to deal with sometimes. Second, what a small world, eh? I log on to a site I found from a random Google search and find someone with triathlon experience AND familiarity with my disability!

Please don't go to ANY trouble to track down the Cincy racer, but if you should happen to see him again, I would be interested in getting his contact info. Thanks again for the quick response!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Disabled triathletes Rss Feed