General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Right Ankle Pain Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-16 11:01 PM

User image

Santa Maria
Subject: Right Ankle Pain
Hello, first off I am training for my first ironman in cozumel. I am about 7 weeks into my training and I am experiencing pain in my right ankle. The pain is on the outside and I noticed a little discoloration as well. The thing is I have no pain when walking, it is not painfull to the touch and I have no pain when riding my bike. I have new shoes and got them at a running store that that measured my foot, my arch and even video taped me while running on a tread mill. I have had the shoes for a few months and never had the pain before. I have even tried my old shoes to see if the pain would go away and it is still there. I am really not sure what is going on. Any insight would be helpful. I could muster through the pain and keep running but I really don't want to damage anything. Would it be ok to keep biking and stop running for a week or two?

Thanks

2009-08-17 8:22 AM
in reply to: #2352304

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA
Subject: RE: Right Ankle Pain

I would rest it a week or two. discoloration indicates bleeding so I would be careful. since you did not actually twist it or jam it I would guess a bit of tendonitis. Rest a and ice and see how it goes.

i get a bit of tendonitis that flares up now and again. i baby the ankle and it goes away. i find the bike actually is more painful. If you can bike painfree, go ahead.

2009-08-17 9:00 AM
in reply to: #2352304

User image

VA
Subject: RE: Right Ankle Pain
I had this and did not lay off. I had it on the inside of my ankle and I ended up getting pain shooting up the inside of my shins, too since I kept pushing it. I think mine is due to pronation of my right foot and I end up with a lot of issues on the right leg anyway. Once I gave it a break, used the kinesiology tape and an orthotic it went away. It started to flair up recently again so I took a break, shortened mileage and re-taped. That worked.

I think in 10 years, I'll be completely covered in tape and braces and it will take me one hour to prepare for a 30 minute run.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Right Ankle Pain Rss Feed