General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hills vs. Flats for IM bike training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-17 5:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Hills vs. Flats for IM bike training
I'm training for IM cozumel and live (and train) in Maine where there are hills everywhere and good flat stretches are really hard to come by. I hear that Cozumel is flat and windy. For my rides I really have no options (other than a trainer) for getting 'flat' work. Will training on hills help me on a flat/windy course? Do I need to spend more time on the trainer to be ready for a flat course (please say no)?Thanks.

2009-08-17 7:46 AM
in reply to: #2352405

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Subject: RE: Hills vs. Flats for IM bike training
Ooh- I'm glad you posted this.  I've been training on some hills right now for the Augusta 70.3 next month and have wondered the same thing.  Will hills make me stronger to battle the windy flats?  Or should I train on flats to get used to monotony of the flats??
2009-08-17 8:41 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
There are two disadvantages (that I can think of) to riding hills and then racing flats. 

The first is that when you ride hills, you generally have periods of work & recovery built into the course.  On flats, you have to keep working steady as there's no place to just 'tuck & coast'.  But that can mostly be handled by proper pacing.

The second is that on a flat course, you will want to stay aero as much as possible.  Hilly rides allow for more position changing.  This can partly be handled by making sure your fit is good.  But spending 6 hours in one position is a challenge if you've never done it before.  Do your best to find a route where you can stay aero for most of the time in trianing.

The traininer can simulate some of both the above, but I wouldn't rely on it for that anyway.   So I wouldn't suggest you spend more time on it just to overcome those two 'obstacles'.
2009-08-17 10:11 AM

User image

Elite
Roswell, GA

I'm training for a flat IM (B2B) here in Atlanta where it's hilly.  I brought my bike to the beach this summer and did some riding to see if my bike fitness was in trouble on flat roads and I did fine.  The only problem was holding aero for long stretches.  In Atlanta I rarely hold the position for more then 20 minutes before a hill or traffic light makes me sit up, but at the beach I would go an hour without sitting up and I could feel it in my back and shoulders.  I now try to stay in aero as much as possible and I think it's helping.  I'm planning to start riding at a linear park that is long and flat so I can work on it more.  Maybe there is a place within a few hours that you could do the same. 

btw, the more wind there is the more important it is to stay in aero.  I found I would lose 2 mph sometimes when I sat up to stretch and eat.  That could really add up if you spent a significant time out of aero.

2009-08-17 4:10 PM
in reply to: #2352527

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Rusty Ironman 2009-08-17 4:14 PM
2009-08-17 4:52 PM
in reply to: #2354121

Sensei
Sin City
In general, I like to train similar to how the course is going to be.  I train flat if the race is going to be flat, and hills if it's going to be hilly...

But, I see your problem.  It would be hard for me to find a 'flat' area to train here.

However, I think the disadvantage of having to train on hills for a flat course is much less than being forced to ride the flats for a hilly race.

Other than the issues that Johnny mentioned (having to stay in one position for a long time), I think there are probably only advantages to riding hills a lot, even for a flat race course.

2009-08-17 7:49 PM
in reply to: #2354121

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Rusty Ironman - 2009-08-17 5:10 PM
runnergirl - 2009-08-17 8:46 AM Ooh- I'm glad you posted this.  I've been training on some hills right now for the Augusta 70.3 next month and have wondered the same thing.  Will hills make me stronger to battle the windy flats?  Or should I train on flats to get used to monotony of the flats??
RunnerBABE.....if your training just for Augusta, I don't think it will make much difference. 

Time wise I think you can gain more by being faster on the flats at the beginning and end of race.  So i would train more from east boundary out toward jackson and back 3/4 of time, the 1/4 going from Pine Log at Storm branch, straight out SB to Grey Mare Hollow to top and back to Pine Log (don't worry about boyd pond or horse creek, stick with Storm Branch). 

I used to start at East Boundary with Paul Kannaday and TT out as fast as possible for 30 minutes (building over several weeks to 40 minutes) and then turn around and come back just as fast (the same time) (depending on winds). Paul, the slower rider, then, would draft on me for as long as he could and would turn around at same time limit. I would usually catch and pass him on way back. So you could do this with your faster or slower bike friends, with the faster being in front (don't worry about the draft at first, you will end up TT by yourself on way back, plus the greater speed at beginning with benefit you). This would help my flat TT ing and help me stay in the position for long periods. On this course flat speed is key.

I do think doing the Gray Mare out and back will help too. Not your TT ability, but would improve your strength for the long grinding hills in the mid section of course.  Don't think you will really loose as much time in middle relatively due to the two long gradual downhills.

I know i confused you. But I would emphasize the flats for this race (hey it did work for me in the distant past).

Thanks for the tips Arnold- I'll have to try some of them!!

I'm actually IM training right now- IM Cozumel is my "A" race- it's the end of Nov. and it's going to be a super flat and windy course.  I'm just incorporating Augusta into my IM training so I'm not specifically training for Augusta.  I've been making sure to ride the course so I can get some practice on hills for the 70.3 since I really am weak on them and could use some practive.  After Augusta I will probably focus more on biking flats for Cozumel.
2009-08-17 7:54 PM
in reply to: #2354221

Extreme Veteran
Fleming Island, FL
I had just the opposite concern being from FL and training for IMLP. I would rather ride where there are hills than on a flat windy course because of the reasons others have mentioned. It sucks staying aero for hours on end fighting wind and fatigue, but it does build character. Your best bet would be to try and find some flat areas to train or spend lots of time in the aero position on a trainer. A good bike fit will help as well.
2009-08-18 4:00 AM
in reply to: #2354502

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Hills vs. Flats for IM bike training Rss Feed