General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stuck @ 251.3 lbs Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-17 8:07 PM

Subject: Stuck @ 251.3 lbs
I have been training six days a week for the past 4 years. Riding 20-25 miles per day(indoors @ 3am) and weight training. I started training for my first sprint triathlon about 12 weeks ago. I am following a 12 week program that Lifetime fitness offered. I have done several  time trials and 5k's. Swimming feels good so I am confident I can finsih and do pretty good. My struggle has been with fat loss. I am 5'10 and EVERYDAY I weigh exactly 251.3 lbs!!! My wife helps me watch everything I eat. No junk! I was hydrostat weighed at a local university and they said i was 31% body fat. My calorie expendeture everyday far out paces my intake. Can't figure it out. Any suggestions???

2009-08-17 8:54 PM
in reply to: #2354524

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Stuck @ 251.3 lbs
Hello and welcome to the site! Congrats on signing up for your first tri! That's great!

Let me ask, do you log all your calories? Do you KNOW what you are consuming vs. what you are burning off?

A lot of healthy food can quickly add up to too many calories.

If you are doing that you know that you have the proper calorie deficit to lose weight, have you thought about being tested at Lifetime to see how many calories your body will burn without any exercise?

Or, maybe you are consuming too few calories and your body is storing the calories?

2009-08-19 5:14 AM
in reply to: #2354614

User image

Extreme Veteran
Jakarta Selatan, Unknown
KSH - 2009-08-18 3:54 AM Hello and welcome to the site! Congrats on signing up for your first tri! That's great! Let me ask, do you log all your calories? Do you KNOW what you are consuming vs. what you are burning off? A lot of healthy food can quickly add up to too many calories. If you are doing that you know that you have the proper calorie deficit to lose weight, have you thought about being tested at Lifetime to see how many calories your body will burn without any exercise? Or, maybe you are consuming too few calories and your body is storing the calories?

You can start by eating half of the portion from A meal you have in a day. For example a half of roast beef sandwich from the usual a full sandwich. Also substitute all soda, liquer, and caloric densed drink with tea, coffee, and water.

See if your weight change after 2 weeks.
2009-08-19 7:16 PM

New user
Are you eating enough?  If you're robbing your body of too many calories you could be slowing your metabolism down.

If you've truly been keeping a perfect track of your calories and it "far out paces your intake" then try adding a couple hundred more for a week or two.  You do not want a deficit of more then 1000 calories a day.

One other thing;  your muscles will get to a point when doing the same activities to where they become efficient at doing what they do.  You may not be burning quite the number of calories that you think you're burning during an exercise.

My guess, from your statement is you're not eating enough.  Are you getting enough heart healthy fats in your diet too?
2009-09-07 10:32 PM

User image

Veteran
The Beautiful San Fernando Valley in Sunny L.A.

I recommend going for longer rides. My fat loss really kicked in once I started doing rides well over two hours.

2009-09-09 12:31 PM

User image

Expert
I would start by logging your food intake right down to how much salt you used at breakfast or if you put splenda in your morning coffee, how much did you use 1 or 2 packets.  Everything counts and impacts your diet.  I use Fitday to log it when I am feeling like I am stalled out.  Typically I find that I am overdoing it somewhere and was unaware of it.

2009-09-09 2:59 PM

User image

How hard are your cardio work outs?  It is very possible that if your training at or near your AT you are burning less fat during workouts.  It is very benificial to mix up the routine.   Also it sounds like a good time to really change up your strength routine.  Change the amount of reps you are doing.  If you are currently doing higher weight low reps change it up to lower weight higher reps 3 sets of 20 or something.  Also change up some of the cardio to include interval and some endurance paces if you are not already. 

Life time offers a VO2 max test.  You will need to buy a mask and I think it costs around 70 bucks but this can help you with your cardio work outs.  I can show you what heart rates to be training in, with that investing in a good heart rate monitor helped me a ton.  Lifetime also offers a test using that same mask for the VO2 test that will tell you how many calories your body consumes a day at rest.  This can take a lot of the guess work out of how much you should be eating. 

Good luck 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stuck @ 251.3 lbs Rss Feed