General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Masters swim question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-13 2:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
Subject: Masters swim question
I joined a masters swim group about one month ago and I go twice a week. Overall I love it. The only problem is that the coach loves sessions with a lot of kicking (about 1 out of 3 sessions), which is not ideal for triathletes (I guess). I get to work my legs enough during the runs and the rides. I don't really need that extra leg focussed workout during the swim. I sort of joked about it with the coach to get the message through, but I'm sure she won't change her methods, or preferences just for me.

Should I just suck it up and accept the fact? Should I try and find another masters group. The problem is that this one is 5 minutes walk from work, which is extremely convenient.

2005-05-13 2:43 PM
in reply to: #157260

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Masters swim question
I doubt they'll kick you out if you skip or do something else during the kicking.  Most of the kicking I've done in masters is on my side.  I actually find that it is a good drill for body position and not just kicking for kicking's sake.
2005-05-13 2:46 PM

User image

Buttercup

When in Rome... blah blah blah. I've always done what my coach tells me, no questions asked. When I was a youngster, if you questioned the coach, he would increase the sets. 5x100 became 8x100 became 10x100 then you drowned the whiner who kept complaining to the coach. Maybe that's where I learned not to question my coach...

FWIW, I'm not allowed to join the Masters Team! The coach said that triathletes don't take the team seriously, don't come to the swim meets, they have too many people (even though their lanes have plenty of room for 1 more!) whine whine whine. I hate that coach! Ok, not hate. But he's a poopyhead for not letting me in. I'm at the pool more often than his team is!

Being on the team is a privilege. The coach shouldn't be asked to design the practice around your needs, in all fairness. Coach has the entire team's fitness to work on.

2005-05-13 3:01 PM

Elite Veteran
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Joining a Master's group is not like joining the military.  You are free to design your own workouts that fit your training plan any time you want to.  I did the coached workouts for fall and winter and then in the spring I follow the training plan that I have chosen for my triathlon season. One great thing about my group is that the  majority of the members participate in triathlons, so as the season progresses they actually gear a fair number of workouts toward us.  But if they are not compatible with whatever I have planned, I still do my own thing, as do many people there.

2005-05-13 3:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Delray Beach, FL
p4406 - 2005-05-13 2:31 PM
but I'm sure she won't change her methods, or preferences just for me.

Have you asked her? It all depends how you ask....
I would ask to talk to her and ask her professional opinion about this issue. I would be sincere and I'd tell her what I know.
If you like her coaching style, compliment her and let her know that her opinion counts. Who knows, she may give you another drill to do while the rest of the class practice the kick...
2005-05-13 3:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Oak Park, IL
the thing i love most about my masters team is that if i don't want to do it, i just don't. and with little to no grief from the coach. oh, how i wish my college and high school coaches would have been so agreeable.

on my master's teams longer nights we usually have one to two sets of pretty heavy kicking and i just amend that part of the routine. sometime i do TI skating drills and other times i kick on my back. kicking on you back is a great workout as you have to work the core muscles a bit harder to stay afloat. and if my legs are really tired that night, i just do some swimming drills (finger tip drag, under switch, etc). if you give yourself enough space between the other swimmers in your lane, the chance of you interrupting the others by doing something different is small. just let them know what you have planned so there is no surprises.

on tuesday night i drastically changes my master's workout as I have a race on sunday (and my masters time was the only pool time i could get in). instead of doing the 9 100s with every 3 being on a quicker interval, i did 50 sprints with long recovery. i kept out of everyone way (i only shared the lane with one person) and my coach even came and timed some of the 50s. it kept her entertained between the longer 100 sets.

good luck!!
deanna

2005-05-13 3:30 PM
in reply to: #157300

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
clflgrl - 2005-05-13 3:21 PM

Have you asked her? It all depends how you ask....
I would ask to talk to her and ask her professional opinion about this issue. I would be sincere and I'd tell her what I know.
If you like her coaching style, compliment her and let her know that her opinion counts. Who knows, she may give you another drill to do while the rest of the class practice the kick...

Actually, next time she focusses on kick, I will talk to her about it. The first time the session was kick focussed was the day right after my first 10k ever and my legs were already hurting.

Thanks for the feedback. I love the master swims because they push me harder than if I do laps by myself, and the camaraderie is also quite fun.
2005-05-14 12:54 AM

Okay, why is it bad for triathletes to focus on kicking for the swim? I have just started swimming recently for my upcoming tri, and my kicking is the weakest part of my swim. I have been focusing primarily on my kicking and freestyle stroke, when i am training. Should I not be focusing on my kicking?
2005-05-15 11:19 AM

User image

Regular
north europe
you should talk with your coach and say that you would put board between the legs and will trai arms !!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Masters swim question Rss Feed