General Discussion Triathlon Talk » anyone in the lakeland area Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-18 3:15 PM

User image

Subject: anyone in the lakeland area
just wondered if there was anyone in the lakeland area, i am a complete newbie, i have made contact with the lakeland landsharks and hoping to get involved with those guys but wondered who else is out there?

thanks

Mike 

2009-08-30 9:26 AM
in reply to: #2356487

User image

Veteran
Lakeland
Subject: RE: anyone in the lakeland area
I'm in Lakeland. There are some triathletes that swim at Gandy Pool, you can find them there Mon, Wed, and Fri mornings at 5:30 am (be forewarned, it is quite crowded and you may have to wait for a lane), admission is $3, but you can buy 20 admissions for $40.

There are three great bike areas, Lake Hollingsworth, while it is repetitious you can do some great speedwork around the lake.

Also, for longer rides, hit Van Fleet trail in Polk City, http://www.dep.state.fl.us/gwt/guide/regions/eastcentral/trails/gen... The trail is 29 miles long, so you can ride as far or as short as you need to. There are only two water points, one at 10 miles north of Polk City trailhead and one at the very north end of the trail in Mabel. So two bottles and a Camelbak are recommended.

The other trail is Fort Fraser Trail http://polktpo.s3.amazonaws.com/downloads/45/Fort_Fraser_Trail.pdf It is almost 8 miles long, and there is a water station about 3 miles south of PCC, plus there are several stores along the way you can hit and buy water or Gatorade.

As for runs, Hollingsworth is also a great run spot, Lakeland's own runner's store FITniche has a water station by the parking area on the southside of the lake. Also, many runners will run around the lakes downtown: http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-states/fl/lakeland/72438682

Most weekday nights you will find me on Hollingsworth, I have a red and silver Cervelo and usually wear a black and blue Giro aero-helmet (although I had to take August off of the bike, but I will be back in early September).

Good luck to you on your tri-journey.
2009-08-30 7:03 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

I'm right down the road in plant city.  Lots of triathletes around   look t fitnitche..its running store but lots of triatheles go there

2009-08-31 8:35 AM

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland, FL
X2 on the Landsharks, they meet pretty regularly and do runs, swims and ride.  Here is there email  [email protected]
2009-08-31 1:59 PM

User image

i did get on the mailing list for the landsharks, but the times they meet generally don't suit me, that's just my schedule unfortunately, kids, dogs and work in there somewhere.

i have actually started to do some exercise. my daughter just started school so i managing to get a run (i loosely decribe it as such) in the morning on the fort fraser trail since thats about 1 min from my house.

as for swimming, i think i am going to rejoin the YMCA since they are pretty flexible on the times for lap swimming.

biking - i've got bikes, they need dusting off, i have done some mountaining biking down at loyce harpe park, but i do intend to get down to fort fraiser on my road bike, its old but it works. i have no intention of throwing money at this for the moment.

on a position note, lost 10 pounds in the last month, about 40 to go..

cheers
2009-09-02 10:22 AM

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland, FL
If you are looking to get into running shape, there are a number of coached coarses that Fit Niche offer, everything from couch to 5k to endurance training.  The coach also runs the Landsharks and does a really great job.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » anyone in the lakeland area Rss Feed