General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Plan Ideas? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-18 9:33 PM

Houston
Subject: Training Plan Ideas?
Okay so started training 8 weeks ago for first triathlon a week ago. Used a combination of a 8 week and 10 week beginner triathlon training program.  Modified it a bit cause it seemed kinda easy the first few weeks.  The programs were programs "to finish"

So I completed the sprint tri last week, saw some areas for immediate improvement.  Should I stick with the same training programs for my next one in 10 weeks or find a more "advanced" program.  I'm hoping to cut about 8 minutes off my total time for the next one (assuming the course set-up is similar...distance to transitions etc...). Or should I look for a more aggressive training program?

Thanks

2009-08-19 5:00 AM
in reply to: #2357172

Subject: RE: Training Plan Ideas?
8mins seems like a lot, but it seems you are attentive and know where you can make your most gain. Try the advanced plan for a week or two and see how you feel. If it is more than can be handled turn it back a notch. I recommend the book by Matt Fitzgerald and published by Triathlete mag, 'Essential week-by-week' training guide. There is a complete training plan for every distance and every skill level and every level of complete insanity. I use this book and when there is a day I feel like garbage and need to modify my plan I bounce down one level and pick up that routine for a day or two. Don't get hurt or burn up and congrats on being a 'hooked' triathlete.
2009-08-20 11:03 PM

Houston
any replies
2009-08-21 10:44 AM

User image

Master
PA
how did it feel?  do you feel like you need more or was it pushing you?  you want to stay injury free, but also to be challenged.  I think most plans to tend to feel a bit ez in the beginning.

you're really the only one who can make this call.  if it feels like you're at the right level, stick where you are.  if you need to be pushed more, step it up.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Training Plan Ideas? Rss Feed