General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart Rate Monitor Really Worth It? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-19 11:30 AM

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
Subject: Heart Rate Monitor Really Worth It?
So I am interested in purchasing my first Garmin, but the price tag on most monitors is really setting me off. I really want to explore the concept of "train smarter, not harder" as opposed to "work till exhaustion" and I feel that heart rate training is along those lines (please correct me if I am wrong). For all of those out there who own a Garmin or something of that nature, is it worth it or did you notice an improvement in your training as a result?

2009-08-19 11:46 AM
in reply to: #2358083

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Heart Rate Monitor Really Worth It?
Sorry I can't help you totally because I don't own a Garmin, but I really don't see the hype in them. I've gotten to the point in my training where I know my body...I know when I need to slow down or when I can push harder (i can tell when my HR is going crazy)...if you have the money I'd say go for it...For myself it would be a waste of money and just another toy i'd have to remember to bring on my workouts...the strap on my chest would also probably really annoy me. I feel like i'm the only traithlete who has no desire to get a Garmin...ever.

Hopefully someone else who has a Garmin can give you better insight. Most people I know who have one love it...just not for me.
2009-08-19 11:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Heart rate monitors are a great tool for training, and I would recommend one to anyone.  I've been using a HRM for 6+ years now, and it's become a crutch that I can't train without.

You get a lot of data from a HRM, but it's useless data if you're not training correctly.  The beauty of a HRM is it helps you stay in a HR zone.  It helps me from over exerting on certain days, and it also gives me a visible indicator when I'm not pushing hard enough.  Do you really need a HRM to tell you that?  Probably not, but for me, it's nice to have a hard readout.

The Garmins are relatively expensive, mainly because of their mapping/GPS functions.  You can get a good Polar HRM for much cheaper if you don't care about being able to download your route.

I'm a Polar fan and I think that they make a better HRM than most.  They have been doing it for quite some time and are the standard. 

Ray
2009-08-19 12:00 PM

User image

Expert
Roswell, GA
sounds good to me. the garmin i was looking at is around 400, and when I have student loans to pay off, the last thing I need to do is drop money like that on a fancy watch. (on second thought, why am I a triathlete if I dont have a lot of money??? I digress)

another point I want to make is that are there any monitors that dont require the silly chest strap thing? I have a feeling that would annoy the crap out of me during a run/ride. do watches exist that just take your pulse from your wrist where the watch contacts your body?
2009-08-19 12:25 PM

User image

Veteran
I've seen a few that measure your heart rate from the hand/wrist, but I don't know how accurate they are.  The chest strap is the most common, proven, and effective means.

If you have a good strap, you don't notice it after the first few uses.  I only have experience with Polar, but their straps are fairly comfortable.

Ray
2009-08-19 12:44 PM

Extreme Veteran

The heart rate strap will not bother you. I have found the Garmin 305 worth it. How I use it has changed, but it's that flexable. Not sure about the 310x because taking off a wetsuit with that divice might cause problems? I use the 305 for training, and only for bike during a race to keep check on my heart rate and cadance. (I have a tendency to over do it on the bike and have nothing for the end of the run.) Thinking of a powermeter, but that's serious cash.

2009-08-19 1:01 PM
in reply to: #2358161

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Daimyer - 2009-08-19 12:00 PM sounds good to me. the garmin i was looking at is around 400, and when I have student loans to pay off, the last thing I need to do is drop money like that on a fancy watch. 

Then why are you looking at a $400 model? The FR305 was as low as $129 (IIRC) and offers 99% of the functionality of the newer, moe expensive Garmins.

As far as "worth it," that's a pretty subjective and personal assessment. Many on here train exclusively by Rate of Perceived Exertion (RPE) and do pretty well with it. I've gone through periods of HR training and RPE, now train by a combination of RPE and pace but use the HRM as a recordation/verification device.

2009-08-19 4:04 PM
in reply to: #2358161

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Strap is no big deal.  They won't bother you.  I am also a fan of Polar products.  You can get one that is size of a watch, will work for all three events and will not cause you to have to take out an additional student loan.

Edited by Gregkl 2009-08-19 4:04 PM
2009-08-19 4:40 PM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
I know the distance of most every run I do (thank you, BT Routes!) so I've never felt the need to have a GPS to know how far I've gone.   At times I wish I knew my exact running pace during the run rather than having to calculate it afterwards, but then again I'm doubt I'd do much with that instant information.  I have a $30 bike computer on my bike which gives me all the speed/distance/cadence info I need while riding.

When I first started training a few years ago I liked my $75 Polar HRM since it gave me a better idea of how much I should be working.   I only use it occasionally now, and as a curiosimeter, not a training tool.  I train mainly by perceived effort now (and with a regular watch).

So yes, a HRM and/or GPS can be great training tools, but not necessary.  A HRM is good for the "training smarter, not harder" thing.  I'm not if the HRM actually helped me improve, but it gave me confidence I was training properly.  No need to shell out lots of dough for it, though. 

Brian  

Edited by famelec 2009-08-19 4:41 PM
2009-08-20 9:17 AM

User image

Veteran
I never really considered a heart rate monitor until this year.  The primary reason I got it is because I like the idea of knowing what distance I was running as well as what different zones I found myself running in.  I probably don't use the functionality of the watch as much as most people, but it serves its purpose. 

Most HRMs are cheap now and it's only the Garmin 300/400 series that can get expensive.  However, as one person mentioned above, the 305 can be had for a relatively decent price.  It's only drawback (for me) is that it's a freakin' huge watch and it would feel/look like a brick on my wrist.

2009-08-20 1:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Burke, VA
I have always been a go out fast and slow down quick kind of runner. I got the FR305 at the beg. of the spring and love it. I am not sucked into the HR function, because like most, I can tell what sort of effort I am putting out. If I am heading up a hill or going pretty fast (thats a relative term for me) and I am spent, I can be sure that my HR is 170-180, if I am looking around and enjoying the scenery, I am down around 140. I love the tracking of distance and the pace avg. and overall functions.

2009-08-20 2:15 PM
in reply to: #2359850

User image

Veteran
Millstadt, IL
FurnaceM3 - 2009-08-20 9:17 AM I never really considered a heart rate monitor until this year.  The primary reason I got it is because I like the idea of knowing what distance I was running as well as what different zones I found myself running in.  I probably don't use the functionality of the watch as much as most people, but it serves its purpose. 

Most HRMs are cheap now and it's only the Garmin 300/400 series that can get expensive.  However, as one person mentioned above, the 305 can be had for a relatively decent price.  It's only drawback (for me) is that it's a freakin' huge watch and it would feel/look like a brick on my wrist.

Not really true.  Suunto & Polar, for their better products, are just as, if not more expensive than Garmin.  They're also better HRM's, but like everything else you get what you pay for. 
2009-08-20 2:29 PM
in reply to: #2360765

User image

Veteran
matt_d - 2009-08-20 2:15 PM
FurnaceM3 - 2009-08-20 9:17 AM I never really considered a heart rate monitor until this year.  The primary reason I got it is because I like the idea of knowing what distance I was running as well as what different zones I found myself running in.  I probably don't use the functionality of the watch as much as most people, but it serves its purpose. 

Not really true.  Suunto & Polar, for their better products, are just as, if not more expensive than Garmin.  They're also better HRM's, but like everything else you get what you pay for. 

Actually, Suunto & Polar are not necessary better HRMs either.  It's all in what you use it for and what's comfortable.
2009-08-20 2:40 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Necessary?  Not at all.

A good resource if used properly?  Yes.  But considering how few out there actually train properly with them (even some of the coaches out there) - not always effective.

If you do not have a coach that is prescribing using one and helps you to establish your zones and then designs workouts around them, then I would advise against one.

My opinion, take it or leave it.
2009-08-20 3:20 PM
in reply to: #2360832

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Daremo - 2009-08-20 3:40 PM Necessary?  Not at all.

A good resource if used properly?  Yes.  But considering how few out there actually train properly with them (even some of the coaches out there) - not always effective.

If you do not have a coach that is prescribing using one and helps you to establish your zones and then designs workouts around them, then I would advise against one.

My opinion, take it or leave it.

x2

I went through LTHR and VOmax  testing to establish my baseline numbers (both running and riding) and then my coach used that data to design my training plan.  I also had the opportunity to attend a workshop with Joe Friel on HRM training when I was first getting started.  A HRM monitor can be a useful tool, but not necessarily the only thing you use.  There are times when I override my HRM with RPE, such as in the extreme heat we can get here in FL.

Mark 

Edited by RedCorvette 2009-08-20 3:21 PM
2009-08-20 6:01 PM

User image

Expert
I am a firm believer in HR training.  I have the 305 and love it to death.  It is a good price for everything it can do out of the box, with the ability to add cadence on the bike, plus the quick release strap makes transitions easy.  I could not justify the money for the 310xt, but the 305 was money very well spent.

As stated above, training in proper zones makes a huge difference.  I have noticed significant gains by setting my workouts based on these zones and not just running at a zone I knew I could maintain (as I did for my first marathon)

I should have my review of the 305 on my blog posted in the next day or two.  Right now there is a post about how I mounted the quick release bike mount to a bike with aero bars as I have seen many people ask the question.

2009-08-21 2:49 AM

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
My advice is more geared toward the expense issue.  If you live near an REI, keep an eye out on their garage sales.  There are always a bunch of HRM available.  I once saw a Garmin 305, but more commonly find Polar and Timex.  My "back up" watch is actually a Timex HRM I got for the waterproof feature (I was going abroad for a month, and wanted a cheap watch.  The HRM function was a bonus).  Many times people return them because they "stopped working", which usually means "the battery died and REI has a very generous return policy".

As for actually using one, when I first used to train and race in the early 90's I went with PRE. But now I like having the more exact data of HR as well as the GPS data. Especially useful if I am just going for a run to explore some new route since I may not remember the route well enough to use something like MapMyRun.
2009-08-21 6:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I use the HRM biking to help me keep up my effort.  Other than that it is just neat to know information for me.  I learned the old fashioned way without any straps or wires attached to me or coming out of my head.  I don't use it on race day.

My zero 2.

CP2K

2009-08-21 8:42 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

I didn't use a HRM for the first 30 years I was running...it was all on RPE, and I did pretty well with that. But a couple of years ago, after having been doing triathlon for about 3 years, I decided to go with HR training primarily because I was convinced I wasn't working hard enough. Anyway, hated it with a passion at first, eventually worked into it, and it has really worked for me in terms of becoming more efficient and faster at lower heart rates. I also believe it got me through IM training.

That being said, I don't use the HRM all the time during training (about 75-80%), and I never use it racing (I don't even start my watch when I race) because I tend to get too wrapped around the numbers and what they "should" be.

As for expense and which kind...I started with a very basic Polar that did nothing but HR. Then, I got tired of wearing that and a watch. So, I graduated to a Polar F6 (a little over $100). I had problems with the buttons...not sure if it's because I'm left handed and wear my watch on my right wrist, but I kept turning it off. So, I started looking at something different with a little more functionality. Like you, I didn't want to spend upwards of $200, plus I have really small wrists, so the laptop computer that is the Garmin Forerunner 305/205 et al. just won't work for me. However, Garmin also offers non-GPS HRMs in the Forerunner 50 and FR60, which are a more reasonable size for me. I have the Forerunner 50 with the foot pod and bike speed and cadence sensor. So, I get HR data as well as speed, distance, and cadence information. The foot pod is very accurate (I check it frequently). The Forerunner 50 is about $99 (without the bike speed and cadence sensor). The only drawback for me on the Forerunner 50 is it's memory is limited to 7 hours. So, I am going to give my Forerunner 50 to my hubby and get the new FR60, which provides a little more info on the screen (and my eyes are still good enough to see it) and has a 12-hour memory. It runs about $199.99.

The ability to upload data is useful for my coach, too, as it provides objective feedback with my own subjective commentary, so she has a pretty good idea of how things are actually going.

And, yeah, sometimes the HR strap bugs the hell out of me. But, usually, I don't notice it.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heart Rate Monitor Really Worth It? Rss Feed