General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shoulder Trouble Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-20 8:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Metairie
Subject: Shoulder Trouble

I have been TRI training since roughly April.  I have never been a runner or a cyclist.  I have swam competitively for most of my life since 9th grade.

My swim yardage was up around 10,000 yards a week (running about 20 miles/week and cycilng about 100 miles/week).  I did a couple of Master's type meets and started to have some pretty annoying shoulder pain.  I have been a right side only breather, and it is my left shoulder.  There are plenty of techniques to improve my stroke, which I will certainly be doing when I can.

I have tried to get into the pool a couple of times to start improving my stroke, but the pain is still there.  My plan is to take a few weeks off of swimming (in addition to the previous two weeks of almost no swimming anyway).  I do get a slight discomfort from the shoulder when running, but I am still hoping that this isn't a countributing factor.

Any good ideas what kind of strength work I could do to try and maintain some of my swimming strength while not actually swimming?  Also, has anyone else had similar experience?

I will end up with a better "roll" in my body when this is done and I will be breathing bilaterally again (haven't cared about this since I was 18).

2009-08-20 2:36 PM
in reply to: #2359656

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: RE: Shoulder Trouble

It a classic case of poor body rotation. You breathe to the right, so you rotate well to the right so as to breathe easier. Since you don't breathe to the left, you aren't rotating as much to the left and this forces your shoulder to do more work on the recovery. Ideally your shoulder will be pretty much making an up and down motion when you have a good body rotation. When you swim flat your shoulder has to make a circular motion and this causes some tendons to rub everytime you recover. If you do it enough you get tendonitis and a shoulder problem.

The solution is to rotate better to your left side to take the pressure off of those tendons. Best way to rotate better? Bilateral Breathing. I rambled on about it at length here.

Good Luck with it, I know injuries are very frustrating.

2009-08-20 2:57 PM
in reply to: #2360820

User image

Veteran
Metairie
tjfry - 2009-08-20 2:36 PM

It a classic case of poor body rotation. You breathe to the right, so you rotate well to the right so as to breathe easier. Since you don't breathe to the left, you aren't rotating as much to the left and this forces your shoulder to do more work on the recovery. Ideally your shoulder will be pretty much making an up and down motion when you have a good body rotation. When you swim flat your shoulder has to make a circular motion and this causes some tendons to rub everytime you recover. If you do it enough you get tendonitis and a shoulder problem.

The solution is to rotate better to your left side to take the pressure off of those tendons. Best way to rotate better? Bilateral Breathing. I rambled on about it at length here.

Good Luck with it, I know injuries are very frustrating.

I totally agree, here is my question though: Should I lay off swimming until it is pain free and then head back to the pool or do I go bi-lateral now and suffer a little pain.  I don't want to do further damage.

I went out yesterday to try an easy swim and force myself to go bilateral (paid no attention to clock at all just stroke and breathing); it was uncomfortable breathing to the left, but doable.  Problem was, there was still pain (not usually when left side breathing though).

As your article mentioned, the problem is in the recovery, not during the catch.  I guess when I was younger and doing 10,000 a day, I was able to go without pain because I was . . . younger.  LOL getting old sucks, but I should end up with a better stroke because of it.

ETA: the pain is also bad in streamline position, that seems to put the stress in just the right spot to hurt like hell!

Edited by bufit323 2009-08-20 3:04 PM
2009-08-20 10:14 PM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
If you can lift your arm straight up and down (from the side of your body) without pain, then I would try and mimic that in the pool. If that hurts, then give it a rest and some ice.

Streamline - not sure about that one. since there isn't any movement in the shoulder, my guess is that your muscles are squeezing the tender area while you stay streamlined. I wouldnt think that is a big deal, but probably worth avoiding for a little bit.
2009-08-21 7:48 AM

Hi,
I'm also a long term swimmer trying out triathlons.  One of the reasons I'm doing it is because I've had to do a lot of cross training due to rotator cuff issues (tendonitis, bursitis, inflammation etc..)  My doctor gave me a cortisone shot (which helped a lot) and I have laid off of swimming until recently and now am only doing 2000 yards once a week with a lot of breast stroke and kicking.
I've also been doing rotator cuff exercises with a rubber band on the door.  There are good examples online (sorry I don't have a link) - essentially you tuck your arm against your side with your forearm sticking out infront of you (90 degree angle), keeping your elbow against your side, you pull on the rubberband and rotate your forearm left and right.
THese have also helped along with ice & ibus.
It seems this kind of injury requires a lot of down time.
Good luck
2009-08-21 7:55 AM

Expert

bufit323 you will need to rest it until pain free, if it is tendonitis. Ice, ibuprofen and physical therapy to strengthen opposing muscles. Good luck, be patient.

2009-08-21 8:28 AM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
+1 on correcting your stroke mechanics.

A was a (rather mediocre) college swimmer and took lots of years off before getting back to swimming/triathlon.  I assumed my stroke was still good, but it clearly it had deteriorated badly and led to a shoulder problem.  Yes, the shoulder exercises help, but it is more important to get your stroke mechanics down properly or the problem won't disappear.

I ended up taking 6 months out of the water and doing lots of physical therapy.  I did a lot of what you'll find here:

http://dartswim.com/USASWeb/ViewMiscArticle.aspx?TabId=445&Alias=Rainbow&Lang=en-US&mid=702&ItemId=700

Brian 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shoulder Trouble Rss Feed