Child labor laws
Processed foods
Cost of healthy eating
Lack of food education
The Internet
BACON!
Video games
Too much damn TV!
Food = love (not enough love in their home)
no enough BEETS !!
ALL OF THE ABOVE!!!
No more Physical Education in school system
The perception that Fat = Normal
Un-educated/un-informed parents
Genetics
Food/Eating in every aspect of life now
Lazy Parents
BIGGY Sized Pop / Soda / Softdrinks
Thinking 'low fat' = low calories
This is a multiple choice poll.

2009-08-20 10:27 AM

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID
Subject: Childhood obesity causes: A poll
So I was just thinking. What does the collective thoughts of CoJ think the causes of childhood obesity are.

Is it non active lifestyles? Processed foods? HFCS?

Some of my out there thoughts.

Some contributing factors. Child labor laws and Disney.

Why child labor laws? Well kids can't work anymore. Even if they want to. It used to be that children worked and burnt calories. Now I understand there were many abuses and we work the majority of our lives, but I'm just talking about kids being overweight, not necessarily what is right/wrong.

Now my other tangent. Disney (and kid shows in general). Notice how the "dumb jock" is always vilified? Kids are growing up with the thought of sports players being evil, wicked and stupid. I think this is contributed to kids not playing as much and not playing as many sports.

So BT CoJ, vote and discuss.

2009-08-20 10:31 AM
in reply to: #2360112

User image

Pro
Texas
Subject: RE: Childhood obesity causes: A poll
Child labor laws is a crap argument, kids can still mow the lawn. I was picking up trash at my Dad's job sites when I was 6. Better yet, with all that newly-found free time they could get on their bike and do a lap around the block.
2009-08-20 10:32 AM

Veteran

Disney should promote smart jocks.

I can't point to one factor, but parenting, the parent's habits, processed foods, and that kids are seldom taught that healthy foods actually taste good.  I have friends that taught their kids that vegetables are tasty and not just healthy...that actually choose fruits for dessert vs. ice cream.  Giving the kids a choice and keeping them involved, while promoting healthy habits is necessary to teach your children how to make proper choices when they grow older.  But it is not the easy way. 

Also, people make this claim that junk food is cheaper, well it is not always, because people tend to eat more of it too. 

2009-08-20 10:33 AM

User image

Master

I think that the majority of the options in the poll can all be traced back to parenting. 

2009-08-20 10:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Roxborough Park
Your Disney argument is interesting.  I had never thought of that.  I think you're onto something though.

I think the "junk food is cheaper" is nearly never a valid argument.  In season fresh produce is always cheaper. I think when people say "junk food is cheaper" or claim that it's too expensive to eat healthy food, what they're really saying is "I have no idea how to make food".  Which is a problem.
2009-08-20 10:41 AM
in reply to: #2360128

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID
JBrashear - 2009-08-20 9:31 AM

Child labor laws is a crap argument, kids can still mow the lawn. I was picking up trash at my Dad's job sites when I was 6. Better yet, with all that newly-found free time they could get on their bike and do a lap around the block.

I agree, it's not an excuse, and like I said, it was one of my out there thoughts. I guess to better illustrate my point is that it changed lifestyle after they were passed. Like you show, there are plenty of opportunity to do other healthy activities, but it doesn't mean that kids have gone that way.

Another interesting thing that others point out about eating healthy. I totally agree. There is a guy I know who works for a friend from time to time. He is in his early 20s and eats ZERO veggies and fruits. He has so many health problems of older people because he eats no good food. Seriously. He was over the other day for a min and was offered lasagna. Good ol meat lasagna. He refused (it had a tomato based sauce). He wont even eat ketchup because it has tomatoes!?!

Growing up he never ate them and was never made to. His wife gets so frustrated because some of their kids are following his example. He actually makes himself physically sick if he finds out after the fact that he ate a veggie or fruit. She sneaks them in sometimes and he doesn't find out and is just fine.

I know that is an extreme example, but yeah.

2009-08-20 10:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I think the big two it comes down to is parenting and Education (both the kids AND the parents) on nutrition, how to cook, how to read labels, and how to spend time together (not always an option I know but spending time together doing something outside like going for a walk, playing with the dog, etc will set a good example)
2009-08-20 10:49 AM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Overweight inactive parents who prize convenience over nutrition = fat kids who will become overweight inactive parents who prize convenience over nutrition.

IMO, it has little to do with education nor because "bad" food is cheaper. People simply prize convenience and taste over taking the time to plan for and prepare a decent meal for themselves and their families.

2009-08-20 10:50 AM
in reply to: #2360192

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
bel83 - 2009-08-20 10:47 AM

I think the big two it comes down to is parenting and Education (both the kids AND the parents) on nutrition, how to cook, how to read labels, and how to spend time together (not always an option I know but spending time together doing something outside like going for a walk, playing with the dog, etc will set a good example)

Yep. Yep.

Kids eat what their parents feed them. Their pallet comes from what they are fed as children, before they even understand what they are being fed.

Parents feed their kids high calorie foods- because that's what they eat. Look at most Americans- they are obese. Surprise! Their kids are obese too!

Until parents can feed themselves right... aka: Eat the right amount of calories, eat healthy food, don't eat fast food... kids are going to be obese and dying young.

I think at some point it needs to be viewed as child abuse even.

2009-08-20 10:52 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
I clicked on about 6 different things I think!

Parenting, bad foods, video games, HFCS in everything, lack of personal responsibility.

When I see a 5 year old that weighs 80+ pounds and can't even see their frickin' toes I just want to slap the parents.
2009-08-20 10:55 AM
in reply to: #2360211

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID
Daremo - 2009-08-20 9:52 AM

I clicked on about 6 different things I think!

Parenting, bad foods, video games, HFCS in everything, lack of personal responsibility.

When I see a 5 year old that weighs 80+ pounds and can't even see their frickin' toes I just want to slap the parents.

But dude, I bet they have a sweet level 80 druid on world of warcraft!

2009-08-20 10:55 AM

Daremo - 2009-08-20 11:52 AM I clicked on about 6 different things I think!

You can't blame HFCS. You blame the stupid parents who feed their kids nothing but processed crap. A little bit of processed crap once in awhile won't kill you esp, if you're outside running around, or playing a sport, etc. But eating NOTHING but processed crap and sitting on your butt playing video games WILL kill you. And that's the fault of the parents.

No one is forcing anyone to eat at McDonald's or pack candy in kid's lunchboxes. Sure the availability of processed food contributes,  but it's not the main cause. All comes down to parental responsibility.

That being said, I would like to see public schools do a better job of providing healthy food - since the school system does help develop these kids as human beings. If they eat broccoli at school, they might request it at home (okay that's a stretch, but you know what I mean).

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2009-08-20 10:58 AM
2009-08-20 10:58 AM

User image

Champion
Philly 'burbs
Daremo - 2009-08-20 11:52 AM

Somebody is feeding that kid!

I know at times there are mitigating circumstances, but come on!

Same thing with adults who are so fat they are bed ridden. Who is filling their plate for them?
2009-08-20 10:58 AM
in reply to: #2360228

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Yeah, some of the blame can be put on the food industry.  When every other item on the shelf has HFCS and the parents buy it without reading the label, then there can be dual blame in my opinion.

Yes, ultimately it is the purchases fault for not paying attention.  But the food industry has been burying sh-t like HFCS and other sweeteners in foods for years knowing that people won't read the label and then get addicted to the sweet flavor.

The American pallette is so f'ed up that it is almost beyond repair in some ways.  I'm guilty of eating crap a lot as well.  But because I married a nutritional consultant person my diet has gotten a LOT better.

Edited by Daremo 2009-08-20 11:00 AM
2009-08-20 11:04 AM
in reply to: #2360237

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
mrbbrad - 2009-08-20 10:58 AM

Daremo - 2009-08-20 11:52 AM

Somebody is feeding that kid!

I know at times there are mitigating circumstances, but come on!

Same thing with adults who are so fat they are bed ridden. Who is filling their plate for them?

THANK YOU!

Parents are feeding those fat kids. If your kid has fat rolls on their neck and 5 years of age... it's a problem parents... stop feeding them so much crap food! DUH!

See, if a 5 year old is 80 pounds, that is child abuse in my book.

You threaten to take away that kid... and offer nutritional classes about exercise and healthy eating... you bet those parents will get their act together and they might even lose a few pounds themselves.

Anyone watch "You Are What you Eat" on BBC America? Great show. It's about eating healthy. Nothing else. Clean up your diet and eat right. The lady will tell parents that they are ruining their kids lives due to feeding them crap. It's great.

We need to stop being so "nice" in this country. Being obese is not OK. It's not acceptable. Lose the weight. Help your kid lose the weight. Lead a long, healthy, enjoyable life.

2009-08-20 11:07 AM

User image

Buttercup

Like any drug of choice, food provides what is missing in that person's life. Addiction is about confusing a substance for love.

Sure, crapfoods can accelerate the increase in weight, but it is the mass consumption of the crapfood that is the problem. Video games, in and of themselves, do not cause obesity. I have a couple of skinny nephews who love their video games. 

Addiction to food causes obesity. The question is, what is causing the addiction?

I have a nephew who went from my a happy, skinny little spitfire to a withdrawn, overweight kid, after his parents divorced. He found solace in food. He would come home from school and immediately go to the pantry, grab a bag of Doritos and sit in front of the television for hours. It broke my heart to see how unhappy and depressed he was. It's been ten years, and he's still reserved but now he is a lean teen who is active and has a good circle of friends. He eats healthy - like he did before the divorce - and it shows in his body.

ETA: I find the judgmentalism very distasteful. Addicts are already very ashamed of their addictions. With obese people, there is no hiding their addiction, you can see it in the shape of their bodies. Alcoholics can escape your judgementalism because often you cannot spot an alcoholic just by looking at them. In fact, you probably party with an alcoholic and think this person is such a great, fun-loving socializer; you don't look at the hiding-in-plain-sight alcoholic and judge him/her everytime he/she picks up a beer. Same with gambling addicts, shopping addicts or exercise addicts - you can't spot their addiction just to look at them. But look at a food addict and tell me you don't judge that person everytime they take a bite of a cookie. How about a little compassion and less judging?

Edited by Renee 2009-08-20 11:13 AM

2009-08-20 11:10 AM

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID
Renee,

I know we don't agree very often, but bravo. Great post.
2009-08-20 11:13 AM
in reply to: #2360268

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Renee - 2009-08-20 11:07 AM

Like any drug of choice, food provides what is missing in that person's life. Addiction is about confusing a substance for love.

Sure, crapfoods can accelerate the increase in weight, but it is the mass consumption of the crapfood that is the problem. Video games, in and of themselves, do not cause obesity. I have a couple of skinny nephews who love their video games. 

Addiction to food causes obesity. The question is, what is causing the addiction?

I have a nephew who went from my a happy, skinny little spitfire to a withdrawn, overweight kid, after his parents divorced. He found solace in food. He would come home from school and immediately go to the pantry, grab a bag of Doritos and sit in front of the television for hours. It broke my heart to see how unhappy and depressed he was. It's been ten years, and he's still reserved but now he is a lean teen who is active and has a good circle of friends. He eats healthy - like he did before the divorce - and it shows in his body.

Good insight.

Again, it goes back to the parents. If you are a parent and you see your kid become overweight and finding comfort in food after you just got divorced... do something about it.

Get the kid to counseling. Don't buy the food the kid snacks on. Spend more time talking and playing with the kid.

Food is addicting. Yes. But it's no excuse to do NOTHING about it. A parent should NOT let their kid drown themselves in sugary treats.

2009-08-20 11:40 AM

User image

Pro
Houston
I voted for several but #1 is parenting.

I can't say I agree with your Disney notion but I don't watch the Disney channel and if that is the case then the PARENT can turn the Disney channel off.  If it was all Disney's fault NO parents would be married and kids wouldn't expect their parents to be alive.  Good luck finding a Disney movie with two happily married parents.

IMO it all comes down to parenting.  If you don't like what Disney is teaching your kids turn off the TV!
2009-08-20 11:44 AM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
As someone who spent a lot of time being overweight and being very very upset about their body, I can tell you that it is definitely NOT acceptable to be overweight, and that overweight people take incredible amounts of abuse for being overweight. The judgey comments on this site alone is indicative of that. And that judgmental attitude is what keeps people out of the gym and out of triathlon...I mean, when people write about being disgusted by your appearance and wondering what the hell you're doing sitting in an airplane or eating a meal and not running on a treadmill, do you really want to hang out with them?

But yes, I agree, childhood obesity is a problem that needs to be addressed. My solutions to this would be a) more P.E.! more FUN P.E.! If you make kids LIKE exercise, chances are they'll do it. When I was in middle school, we had a great program called UMPA (Urban Modification of Project Adventure). We had a climbing wall, high ropes course, roller skating, white water rafting (in the pool), and all sorts of "not really exercise" exercise. And it inspired me to become a rock climber in high school. We never had participation problems. And I went to one of the poorest schools in the city of Pittsburgh. b) Better nutrition education as part of P.E. We had some of it in elementary school, but it never happened after that. It would have been nice to continue it. Perhaps this could go along with after-school programs with parents and kids learning how to cook and learning how to measure/count calories and what that means. Perhaps to go along with that suggestion...perhaps get kids involved in growing food through their biology classes...community garden as an experiment in growing food and then cooking food. c) community resources for exercise...group walks (nature walks, history walks, ghost walk at halloween), bike safety classes/kiddie bike derby, keeping pools and rec centers OPEN, Boys and Girls Club programs...

There's no one silver bullet, but I think that it could start by losing the high-horse attitudes and thinking about how to help everyone, not just judging them and hoping that they can "get over it" and be one of the healthy people.
2009-08-20 11:54 AM
in reply to: #2360359

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID
KeriKadi - 2009-08-20 10:40 AM

I voted for several but #1 is parenting.

I can't say I agree with your Disney notion but I don't watch the Disney channel and if that is the case then the PARENT can turn the Disney channel off.  If it was all Disney's fault NO parents would be married and kids wouldn't expect their parents to be alive.  Good luck finding a Disney movie with two happily married parents.

IMO it all comes down to parenting.  If you don't like what Disney is teaching your kids turn off the TV!

I agree parenting is the root of the problem (most of the problems we face to a point). But don't take it out on me. I never said it was Disney's fault. Again, this is just a contributing factor. But as was said earlier, just because a parent can help stop things does not take blame away from other factors.

2009-08-20 11:55 AM

User image

Expert
Oakland, Fl
1st I blame it on the parents.  I was always a chunky kid and am obese now.  I have made a conscious decision to do something about it.  Don't get me wrong, my parents tried as us kids grew up with workouts and no sugary foods.  We always had dinner together and didn't eat out.  I had 2 things against me, one was my thyroid stopped working (severe hypothroidism) at an early age and also that I was sexually abused as a child.  I was embarrassed and went to food as comfort.  Yes,  my issues were not the norm.

However, I am looking at my friends who have kids now and how they are all glued to the TV at home, in the cars, etc or playing video games.  It becomes a seditary lifestyle, as well as swinging into the McDonald's for chicken nuggets.  This is all for convienece.  It keeps the kids busy so that they dont have to do the parental things like toss the softball in the backyard or going for walks. 

I have a friend that has been feeding her child chicken nuggets/fries from a very young age b/c "that's all she likes."  The child will never learn to eat other/better things unless the parents do something about it.  If they don't eat, then they go to bed hungry.  Sooner or later the child will eat what is put in front of them, so long as you are making healthy choices for them. 
2009-08-20 12:03 PM

User image

Pro
Hailey, ID
phoenixazul,

I totally agree that lack of PE is a bad thing contributing. PE should be mandatory in every year of school. Active kids do better in school.
2009-08-20 12:12 PM
in reply to: #2360418

User image

Master

bradword - 2009-08-20 12:03 PM phoenixazul, I totally agree that lack of PE is a bad thing contributing. PE should be mandatory in every year of school. Active kids do better in school.

x3 phoenixazule !!

2009-08-20 12:36 PM

Veteran
Although I do know that obesity can be a symptom of something else, such as addiction or hypothyroidism, it is still a HUGE problem. A $100 BILLION problem.

This may diverge a bit from the topic

Seriously, we should not be working on reforming healthcare, but decreasing obesity, ESPECIALLY childhood obesity. It is predicted that 1 in 3 children born after 2000 will have diabetes. I believe I heard that even if the healthcare reform that Obama is pushing through goes through and has the desired effect of decreasing healthcare costs, medicare will still go bankrupt due to rising obesity costs.

So back to talking about the source of the issue.

I definitely think it is parenting and the culture that we are raised in. I think we are a society that, on the whole, eats for pleasure. Just look at any advertisment out there for ice cream or chocolate. You hear the word "indulgent" likie every 10 seconds. When you see someone eat/drink anything in an ad, they start smiling, and their eyes flare open. Of course people want to eat something that makes you feel like that! It's not a bad thing to enjoy your food, but we enjoy so much of it. The portions that we get at most restaurants are incredibly huge.

I think food education is the counter to advertisements. The problem is nowadays that you have to take a couple of college-level biology and biochemistry to understand what these nutrients do to for your body; it really is deceptive.

And I agree with basically everything that has been said about parenting. Monkey see, monkey do. Especially when that monkey is the one that raised you from the cradle.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Childhood obesity causes: A poll Rss Feed  

of 3